Sprites Natural Gases

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Natural Gases would be new, liquid-like blocks that generate underground in pockets of various size. Sometimes they can fill an entire cave!

Unless stated otherwise, all gases :

- Are non-reactive with liquids and will treat them like blocks
- Rise instead of sink
- Cause the breath meter to appear and decrease 3x as fast,
after which the effects of the gas will be inflicted and the player will begin to "drown"
- Will inflict hypoxia after the player starts to "drown", which reduces their movement and jump speed.
It will be cleared after 2 seconds in a gas-free environment.

All gases have a color-coordinated rating system dictated by 3 boxes.

▄ _ ▄ _ ▄

The first box represents the speed at which a gas moves, with yellow being the speed of water and purple being the speed of honey.
The second box represents the pocket size that the gas generates in, with red being very small and purple being massive. Colors higher than yellow can generate within regular (but small) cave systems. The box will be blank if the gas is not naturally occurring.
The third box represents the rarity of the gas, from common to extremely rare. The box will be blank if the gas is not naturally occurring.

Now let's get started!

Note : Adding this suggestion would require the reworking of the current liquid system (i'd assume)

Steam.png

Steam
_ ▄ _ ▄
Steam forms when lava and water mix to create obsidian. It will burn the player on contact, dealing 15 damage for every second they make contact with it. Touching it makes a sizzling sound.
After a few seconds, it would slowly dissipate, with each block of steam having a 1/4 chance to turn back into water.

Chlorine Gas.png

Chlorine Gas
_ _
Chlorine Gas is extremely deadly. When the player's head is covered by chlorine gas, they will begin to take 30 damage per second.
Thankfully, chlorine gas is very easy to identify, and will sink instead of rise.

Helium Gas.png

Helium Gas
_ _
Helium Gas will increase the pitch of all sounds emitted by players or monsters that enter it. Fun!

Nitrous Gas.png

Nitrous Gas
_ _
Nitrous Gas acts similarly to chlorine gas, but taking damage requires you to breath it in for about 3 consecutive seconds and is only half as powerful.
The real danger of this gas is that it sinks instead of rising, and if it happens to make contact with a pool of water, it will instantly be converted into Acidic Vapor.

Acidic Vapour.png

Acidic Vapor
_ ▄ _ ▄
Acidic Vapor does incredible damage on contact, a full 60 damage per second. You will want to avoid accidentally creating this gas at all costs!
It will emit a bright cyan glow.

Methane Gas.png

Methane Gas
_ _
Methane Gas, while it looks quite similar to Nitrous Gas, will burst into a fiery inferno upon contact with any fire-based material (torches, lava, fire-themed projectiles, you name it)

Hydrogen Gas.png

Hydrogen Gas
_ _
Hydrogen Gas, in a similar way to Methane Gas, will explode on contact with any fire-based material.
However, instead of bursting into flames, it will create a block-damaging explosion!

Calefacio Gas.png

Calefacio Gas
_ _
Calefacio Gas is an incredibly unique and incredibly dangerous gas. When exposed to light about half as bright as a torch, it will begin to glow, creating immense amounts of heat.

Any Stone blocks within a 2-block radius of a block of Calefacio Gas will be transformed into 'Heated' Stone blocks. After 3 additional seconds of exposure to glowing Calefacio Gas, they will transform into 'Molten Stone' blocks, which will then become a block of lava after 2 more seconds.

This can create an incredibly dangerous chain-reaction.
If the player themselves is exposed to glowing Calefacio Gas, they will be delt 10 damage per second and instantly catch on fire.

Black Damp.png

Black Damp
_ _
Black Damp is a nearly invisible (much more so than my illustration) gas that instantly inflicts the Blackout debuff onto the player and deals 5 DPS while they are touching it.

Nitrous Oxide Gas.png

Nitrous Oxide Gas
▄ _ ▄ _ ▄
Nitrous Oxide is a gas that's created when the hallowed biome is after you beat the WoF, and replaces every other gas in the biome. When exposed to it, the player will instantly gain the Weak and Confused debuffs. Not particularly dangerous, but still a potential threat.

steam.gif

All gases would look a bit like this when animated.
This sprite is by the creator of a minecraft mod called "Glenn's Gases", and one of the frames of this GIF served as the base sprite for all of the other gas sprites in this thread.

Empty Canister.png
->
Nitrous Canister.png
Chlorine Canister.png
Helium Canister.png

Empty Canister

5 of these can be crafted with 1 silver/tungsten. They work exactly like buckets, but can only be used to collect gases.

Diabaline.png
Diabaline_Placed.png

Diabaline

A special crystal that reacts with gases. It can be found on blocks surrounding a pocket of Calefacio gas.

Gas Sensor.png

Gas Sensor
/x5,
Diabaline.png
x3
Crafted with 5 iron/lead bars and 3 diabaline. Will emit a signal when any gas touches it.

Gas Detector 2.png
Gas Detector 3.png
Gas Detector.png

Gas Detector
Silver_Bar.png
Tungsten_Bar.png
x10,
Diabaline.png
x15​

While holding this item, you can click on a location on your screen to send out a pulse that checks for gases. If gases are detected, the gas detector radar thing will turn green. If not, it will turn red. It will appear blue by default.

Gas Furnace.png

Gas Furnace
Meteorite_Bar.png
x35,
Copper_Bar.png
/
Tin_Bar.png
x20,
Calefacio Canister.png
x50

The Gas Furnace is a new furniture item that can be used to smelt anything that a stone furnace can, but it has a 1/4 chance to not consume the ingredients of an item that you are crafting.

Chemical_Thrower.png

Chemical Thrower
Silver_Bar.png
Tungsten_Bar.png
x30,
Copper_Bar.png
/
Tin_Bar.png
x20,
Cog.png
x30,
Diabaline.png
x15

The chemical thrower is a new weapon that uses gas canisters as fuel. It sprays a jet of gas 15 blocks infront of it when used, and each gas type has a different use.
Unlisted gases would be unable to be used to fill in canisters in the first place.

Chlorine Gas
Deals 25 DPS to whatever you are spraying.

Helium Gas
Increases the pitch of all sounds emitted by players or monsters that are sprayed with it.

Nitrous Gas
Harmless unless used on water, in which it will create a small cloud of acidic vapor (would not be an actual block of acidic vapor) that deals 45 dps to anything it touches.

Methane Gas
Would create a ball of fire that deals 30 DPS if it makes contact with lava or other fire-themed blocks/projectiles.

Hydrogen Gas
Would create a small explosion that deals 20 damage if it makes contact with lava or other fire-themed blocks/projectiles.

Calefacio Gas
Would deal 40 DPS and set enemies on fire, but only if it is moderately bright where the enemy is, otherwise it is harmless.

Black Damp
Deals 5 DPS and inflicts Blackout on any enemies/players it touches. The blackout debuff would obviously only affect players.

Nitrous Oxide Gas
Would inflict theWeakness debuff on any enemy it touches, with a smaller chance to inflict the Confused debuff.

Chlorine_Grenade.png
x2
Chlorine Grenade
Grenade.png
x2,
Chlorine Canister.png
x1
Functions like a regular grenade, but leaves behind a damaging cloud of chlorine gas.

Hydrogen Bomb.png

Hydrogen Bomb
Bomb.png
x1,
171864-7d9f8d93b0d58363f424a61b759094ba.jpg
x2
Creates an explosion that is 40% larger than the size of a regular bomb's explosion.

Chlorine_Trap.png

Chlorine Trap

Sprays a jet of deadly chlorine gas that deals 25 DPS while a player or enemy is touching it. Would function identically to the flame trap.

Additional idea that I don't want to make sprites and stuff for : "Porous Stone" that generates around the world and can be used at an extractinator to obtain gas canisters.

I might eventually spend some more time fleshing out ways to make the gases renewable/more useful, but this is all that I'd like to write for now. Thanks for reading!​

Attachments

• Hydrogen Canister.png
    Hydrogen Canister.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Very unique ideas! How about some crafting uses for them as well? Or some other practical utility, like certain gasses giving featherfall or health regen.
I would love to see these as part of a "machinery" mod akin to Thermal Expansion, MineFactory, etc. from Minecraft.

This is a good idea. Mayhap you could Build a 'Vacuum Box' or something to collect it.
Using that you could Sell the gases, or craft with them.

Very unique ideas! How about some crafting uses for them as well? Or some other practical utility, like certain gasses giving featherfall or health regen.
I would love to see these as part of a "machinery" mod akin to Thermal Expansion, MineFactory, etc. from Minecraft.

Maybe chlorine gas can be used to make traps, and hydrogen gas can be used to make bombs. Calefacio gas could be used in the recipe for some kind of special furnace.

@TMB50 @Muninn To answer your questions about containing the gases, I'm adding gas canisters which can be used in a similar way to buckets.

I see. Crafting:
Hellforge
Hydrogen gas capsule (4)
@ Heavy workbench

Also, how can something "be more efficient than a regular furnace?"

I see. Crafting:
Hellforge
Hydrogen gas capsule (4)
@ Heavy workbench

Also, how can something "be more efficient than a regular furnace?"
It could use fewer resources to craft items. e.g. have a 1/5 chance not to consume an item it smelts.

I had this reply partially typed then lost my train of thought. Rather than let it go to waste, I'll post it so you have some feedback. :)

-------
  • All gases: Since they rise instead of sink, I assume they'll dissipate in the surface layers? (Depth >= 0) They could dissipate at about the same rate as water evaporates in the Underworld.
  • Players with a diving helmet or similar should be immune to gases. Players who only have the merman change should still lose air. There are probably other accessories that could influence this. E.g. breathing reed has no effect.
  • Do potions have any effect on gas?
  • Steam: Should also be produced when water evaporates in the Underworld. Rather than dissipating when underground, I like the thought of steam rising to a ceiling and if enough steam collects, it'll transform into water and fall back down. I also think there should be a grace period of ~7 seconds before being burnt (similar to accessories that give some protection from lava).
  • Chlorine: Sounds like this could be a good trap. Instead of blowing flames, a trap block could blow a jet of chlorine. Chlorine should also combust upon contact with fire/lava and explode. And instead of dealing 30 damage/second, it should inflict Poisoned. (Still takes effect even if the player has immunity.)
  • Acidic Vapour: Could also be produced from Geysers.
  • Calefacio: How is this created? If it's generated on world gen, it'll take effect before the player even knows about it.
  • Black Damp: Could also inflict Poisoned instead of dealing direct damage.
Other debuffs that could be considered as side-effects from gases:
  • Poisoned: Mentioned above
  • Darkness / Blackout: For heavier gases or gas that messes with a player's eyes
  • Silenced: Struggling to breathe; can't talk
  • Confused
  • Weak
  • Venom: Doesn't really make sense with gas, but provides an alternative to poisoned
  • Broken Armour / Withered Armour / Withered Weapon: Could be inflicted by Acidic Vapour
Gases also lend themselves to the idea of creating chemical weapons. E.g. with a flamethrower-type weapon or bombs.

-------

Edit: Now I think a little more about it, I think it would be nice to see a Corruption/Crimson gas. Something evil and nasty. You could also put some gas in the Hallow... make it Nitrous Oxide, aka Happy Gas! :)

Last edited:
All gases: Since they rise instead of sink, I assume they'll dissipate in the surface layers? (Depth >= 0) They could dissipate at about the same rate as water evaporates in the Underworld.
First off, thanks for the extensive feedback! I'm working on a content update for this thread that should be out in a few days. Anyways, yes, all gases that do not have a wall behind them above 0 depth should dissipate.
Players with a diving helmet or similar should be immune to gases.
Alright.
Steam: Should also be produced when water evaporates in the Underworld. Rather than dissipating when underground, I like the thought of steam rising to a ceiling and if enough steam collects, it'll transform into water and fall back down. I also think there should be a grace period of ~7 seconds before being burnt (similar to accessories that give some protection from lava).
I like the idea of steam appearing from water in the underworld and turning back into a bit of water, but I don't want there to be a grace period. Steam is 212 degrees fahrenheit, afterall. There should be a danger to mining obsidian (besides falling in).
Chlorine: Sounds like this could be a good trap.
Chlorine_Trap.png
Chlorine Sprayer. :)
Chlorine should also combust upon contact with fire/lava and explode.
Interesting idea, butHydrogen already does that and Chlorine isn't a flammable gas.
Acidic Vapour: Could also be produced from Geysers.
Why geysers? Acidic Vapor is an acid. Steam would make sense though.
Calefacio: How is this created? If it's generated on world gen, it'll take effect before the player even knows about it.
It's created during world-gen. Maybe it could be designated not to spawn near light sources, or for those light sources to be removed before it spawns. I think the only thing that could set it off would be lava (which shouldn't spawn near it) or mining skeletons.
Black Damp: Could also inflict Poisoned instead of dealing direct damage.
Sure, but maybe a more powerful form of poison.
  • Poisoned: Mentioned above
  • Darkness / Blackout: For heavier gases or gas that messes with a player's eyes
  • Silenced: Struggling to breathe; can't talk
  • Confused
  • Weak
  • Venom: Doesn't really make sense with gas, but provides an alternative to poisoned
  • Broken Armour / Withered Armour / Withered Weapon: Could be inflicted by Acidic Vapour
These could all be worked into some of the gases (or some new ones). I like the idea of a gas that inflicts confusion.
Edit: Now I think a little more about it, I think it would be nice to see a Corruption/Crimson gas. Something evil and nasty. You could also put some gas in the Hallow... make it Nitrous Oxide, aka Happy Gas! :)
There's are also cool. The hallow could turn gases in it into nitrous oxide. Corruption and Crimson could maybe have the black damp...? I'm not sure.

Crimson Gas: Blood Mist
- Triples monster spawns
- Halves regen
- Sinks in the surface, rises in the underground.
- Created at the smashing of a Crimson Heart.
_ _ ▄

Corruption Gas: Demonic Dust
- Slowly corrupts touched blocks
- Sinks in the surface, rises in the Underground.
- Created at the smashing of a Shadow orb
_ _ ▄

Finally updated the thread with some actual uses for the gases. I might eventually add in ways for the gases to be renewable or whatever, as well as @Muninn's ideas for evil biome gases, plus whatever else, such as more liquid and gas interactions.

WHAT?!!?! :eek:

This is a game-changing idea! I really like this idea, and hope it is implemented into the game! I have one question, though. Does it affect enemies? Also, try making a gas trap. The player could be able to craft it out of canisters filled with a certain gas and a dart trap or something.

Back
Top Bottom