Need help, my early game strategy has been nerfed

smeagolheart

Terrarian
So Reaver Shark was nerfed (no access to Hellstone) and meteors won't drop until the Eater or the Brain has been beaten.

The means no decent armor until after those bosses are beaten. However, beating those bosses is difficult on Master or Expert without decent armour.

What do you guys suggest to survive without meteor / hellstone armor? It takes a long time to locate sufficient quantities of Gold/Platinum to craft a suit of those armors. Is that the only choice though? What can be done to be tanky in the early game then and get off to a good start now?

On Expert mode, I found it useful to get the Wizard Set, with a gem robe and the hat that Tim gets. It's the strongest magic set in pre-Hardmode; I used it in Expert mode up to Wall of Flesh. It has very low defence but high damage output. I got the idea from this video:

If you're just going for Gold/Platinum, you can fish and open crates, especially since you're not saving them up for hardmode anymore.

The Eater of Worlds is not too hard on master mode with Jungle armor and vilethorn. Also a Finch or Slime staff to do a bit of extra damage now that summons aren't bad when using piercing weapons.
If you plan on going melee though, the falme flail or Ball O' Hurt are decent at damaging the Eater if you keep spinning them, and if you manage to get a few warding accessories you can tank a lot of damage as long as you avoid the head and projectiles, maybe even getting hurt by the body on purpose to get some immunity frames.

I beat the Expert Eye with 200 HP and Tungsten Armor.

Just go caving. That is how you are intended to play, anyways. No more skipping the mining portion of the game.

Don't Use Tungsten Its Bad! Defeat The Eye Of Cthulhu With Gold Armor And Frost Arrows. Use The Demonite To Make A Demon Bow And Make Unholy Arrows. Unholy Arrows Are Good (So Are
Frost Arrows) To Defeat Skeletron Get Molten Armor And Hell Fire Arrows And A Molten Fury. BOOM PreHard Mode Done!

Thanks for the ideas. I usually prefer to play crimson world's so I'm not dealing with the Eater, but the brain who debuffs you. I find him pretty tough and usually don't even mess with him until much later but now you are forced to deal with him unless you go to skeletron it seems.

The Jungle Has Pretty Good Loot. You Should Make A House There. Also Jungle Trees Have Good Weapons.

Thanks for the ideas. I usually prefer to play crimson world's so I'm not dealing with the Eater, but the brain who debuffs you. I find him pretty tough and usually don't even mess with him until much later but now you are forced to deal with him unless you go to skeletron it seems.

I'm not sure I understand what you want here. The game is designed to make those boss battles "pretty tough" at that stage of the game. That's why they're there. They're not impossible, but not pushovers. If you've only ever fought the BoC with full Molten gear, then you haven't learned how to really fight it.

Indeed, this is probably the best reason for nerfing the Reaver Shark. Some people apparently used it from the beginning and never learned how to properly play the pre-Hardmode game.

Well, time to learn. The Terraria Wiki has plenty of guides for pre-Hardmode, including detailed boss strategies. Pay particular attention to the arena section; a good arena is typically the difference between victory and defeat.

So Reaver Shark was nerfed (no access to Hellstone) and meteors won't drop until the Eater or the Brain has been beaten.

The means no decent armor until after those bosses are beaten. However, beating those bosses is difficult on Master or Expert without decent armour.

What do you guys suggest to survive without meteor / hellstone armor? It takes a long time to locate sufficient quantities of Gold/Platinum to craft a suit of those armors. Is that the only choice though? What can be done to be tanky in the early game then and get off to a good start now?
i HAVE found meteorite in a chest pre-brain of cthulu.

Any_Duck.GIF
PREHARD MODE

In my mastermode run I farmed the queen bee with gold armor, the finch staff, the magic weapon from the underground desert and starfury to get the bee's knees, the bee gun and the hornet staff. While the weapons got nerfed they are still very strong and with them I got no problem dealing with Skeletron and the Brain of Cthulhu whatsoever.

I sadly can't talk much about BoC as I ALWAYS go Corruption over Crimson simply for the Worm Scarf but since I'm currently doing a Master Mode run and before that didn't get Reaver Shark a lot I can give some tips.

The Underground Desert has a new item called the "Bastet Statue" that increases your defense by a whopping 5! Combine that with Campfires + Heart Lanterns and you become incredibly tanky.​
Don't EVER neglect potions. People say fishing has been nerfed simply because of Reaver Shark when it still gives you access to the best potions in the game. Going underground and fishing for Armored Cavefish to make Endurance Potions and combine that with Ironskin. Regeneration and the above set up and proceed to laugh at Master Mode Skeletron's attempts to hurt you.​
This is purely theory crafting but the new whip the Snapthorn carried me hard through EoW and it should do well against BoC's first phase as well. Even though it does Summon Damage whips scale of Melee Attack Speed so getting Feral Claws from the Underground Jungle which you'll need to do to get the whip in the first place is well worth the trouble.​
Back to fishing. The Falcon Blade is a fantastic Pre-Hardmode sword. Not only does it swing fast but its decent knockback helps keep BoC at bay during its second phase. Slap a Feral Claw on yourself and you should be able to kill it fairly easily. You can obtain it from Iron Crates from fishing.​
If you're going a Ranger build don't forget that Fossil Armor is now obtainable much earlier than before and gives different bonuses now increasing Ranged Crit Chance and 20% not to consume ammo. Also 13 Defense is nothing to laugh at early on.
As you said it may be difficult to craft yourself a full set of Gold/Platinum but I personally found it to be very much worth it. The set can carry you from EoC all the way to Skeletron and I personally found it much easier to obtain bars now with what seems to be an increase in chest spawns (not confirmed) from normal gold chests, underground house chests and deadmans chests but also Fairy's telling you where to find chests as well. The bars you get will last you awhile and a bit more. Just make sure to mine the chest out as fairies can't tell if you already looted the chest or not. Only if they are player placed or world-gen.​

This may have been just me being lucky but I have found that just going deep enough into the caverns layer tends to throw an obscene amount of gold/platinum ore at you. I got enough for probably two full sets of gold armor in just one expedition from surface to hell as well as 400HP, can't speak for master mode but in expert mode this is honestly enough to carry you up to Skeletron and maybe, if you're good enough at Skeletron, up to the Wall of Flesh.

Fossils also don't require a nightmare/deathbringer pickaxe anymore, as mentioned previously in this thread, and fossil equipment is still very powerful for that stage of the game.

BoC can be deal with Jester Arrow + any craft bow. But low rate of fire may be quite tricky during second phase.

For Reaver Shark... just forget it. (I can't even got one after 7 Swordfish drop...) Use Copper -> Gold/Plat (if need) -> Demon/Flash -> Molten.
I still recommend to fish for Sawtooth (very fast tree cutter) Swordfish (very powerful early) or Rockfish (even more power)

Back
Top Bottom