WIP Need some building advice

HarshMellow

Spazmatism
*UPDATE (part six)* When it comes to building, interior design is what I'm the worst at. I suppose I don't have the eye of a decorator. In this build (my new starting house), I'm struggling a lot with the walls and decorations. Would anyone mind offering some advice on how to improve them? Keep in mind, I don't have access to a whole lot of materials yet:

Day:

Capture 2017-06-01 21_40_56.png

Night:

Capture 2017-06-01 21_29_55.png

Last edited:
It's actually very pretty. You've made decorative elements and thought about smoothing edges. You could add doors and have more npc housing. (also a chair or two). The "roof" level could have less stone and more rooms. You can give a 'cottage roof appearance with less wasted space. See below for a solution (which I found by browsing the player creation boards).

DkqsB

It's actually very pretty. You've made decorative elements and thought about smoothing edges. You could add doors and have more npc housing. (also a chair or two). The "roof" level could have less stone and more rooms. You can give a 'cottage roof appearance with less wasted space. See below for a solution (which I found by browsing the player creation boards).

DkqsB
Thanks for the input!

The Painter NPC sells some good walls. In the right combinations with paint you can have a decent range of wall and other background patterns. This and using the different types of woods, walls, and their respective furniture, should be available to you early enough in the game. The Travelling Merchant sells Dynasty Shingles sometimes- they're surprisingly useful. Also there is dynasty wood I recommend you try.
Btw the second floor of the house looks kind of odd. You've switched to using more wood on that floor yet there still is stone merging with the wall. Why not just do it entirely with the white wall?

Hey man! If you want to check out some building guides, I suggest FuryForged on YouTube, as he is a very good builder. He's got a few extremely helpful guides on certain aspects of building. This is his roof one which might help with your house.

The roof material...I would like it to match the chimney. You could also use wood. Use a hammer to slope some of the roof elements.
I actually like how the chimney looks, personally. As for the roof, I also kind of like how it turned out. I tried hammering some of the edges into slopes, but to me it just looked a bit strange with the rest of the house. But I'm always experimenting with things, so we'll see how it turns out in the future. :)

The Painter NPC sells some good walls. In the right combinations with paint you can have a decent range of wall and other background patterns. This and using the different types of woods, walls, and their respective furniture, should be available to you early enough in the game. The Travelling Merchant sells Dynasty Shingles sometimes- they're surprisingly useful. Also there is dynasty wood I recommend you try.
Btw the second floor of the house looks kind of odd. You've switched to using more wood on that floor yet there still is stone merging with the wall. Why not just do it entirely with the white wall?
Well, I'm experimenting with using certain types of walls as support beams so I don't have to use wooden beams. As for the gray brick walls around the windows, I'm still a bit iffy. I haven't found something that looks good yet. Any recommendations for what I could use?

As for the gray brick walls around the windows, I'm still a bit iffy. I haven't found something that looks good yet. Any recommendations for what I could use?
Well I think you should just remove the stone brick walls on this level unless you're going for a fortress-turned-house look. It's not a problem to me that it's gray bricks, they're very good blocks, it's that in combination with the white it just looks like the Painter got paid only half the price, and painted half the walls.

Sweet house :D
Remind me houses that were made in the old version of the terraria. Wery interesting)
A little tip - try to make a roof of another material)

Well, I'm experimenting with using certain types of walls as support beams so I don't have to use wooden beams. As for the gray brick walls around the windows, I'm still a bit iffy. I haven't found something that looks good yet. Any recommendations for what I could use?
There is one more type of wall - living wood:
AKsNPUN.png
As an example, use several types of walls to get an interesting result (1 and 2 windows - living wood wall and boreal wood wall, painted in brown; 3 and 4 - boreal, ebonwood and wood, painted in brown)

Sweet house :D
Remind me houses that were made in the old version of the terraria. Wery interesting)
A little tip - try to make a roof of another material)

There is one more type of wall - living wood:
AKsNPUN.png
As an example, use several types of walls to get an interesting result (1 and 2 windows - living wood wall and boreal wood wall, painted in brown; 3 and 4 - boreal, ebonwood and wood, painted in brown)
Dude! I love your builds. You're one of my role models. Thanks a lot! I'll try what you suggested. What do you think I should make the roof out of?

Dude! I love your builds. You're one of my role models. Thanks a lot! I'll try what you suggested. What do you think I should make the roof out of?
Tnx for good words :D
As you see, different authors make roofs in different styles. Someone builds the roofs for decorative purposes, someone builds it so that they can put something else there. Personally, I prefer the second option, but sometimes it's useful to combine them.
For myself, I chose materials similar to roofing tiles, for example a dynasty wood, a copper, also gray brick painted in any color. Just need to experiment :)
There is a mod from
jopojelly and is called Cheet Sheet - very useful tool for building and experimenting :)

UPDATE: I've decided to rebuild the house. The one I was working on was just my starter house, and it ended up not being very practical for a base— also, I was having some serious trouble getting the walls and windows of the second floor to look good. I've cleared out a space for the new house, but I'm not sure how to begin yet. So, stay tuned. ~:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom