Weapons & Equip Nerf Fledgling Wings

What should be done to Fledgling Wings?

• They should be nerfed.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • They should be left as they are.

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • They should be made available later in Pre-Hardmode progression.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • They should be limited to Journey Mode.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • They should be buffed.

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters

LayerPlayer

Terrarian
Fledgling Wings are now available in Skyware Chests on Floating Islands, and I think they should be nerfed or made available later in game progression.
Getting wings before any Pre-Hardmode boss breaks the game flow pretty badly in my opinion.
Fledgling Wings have low flight time, but offer still far more reliable mobility than any other Pre-Hardmode mobility accessory does.
Having Rocket Boots triples the flight time of the wings, which is pretty ridiculous.

The wings are just too powerful, and I liked how obtaining wings contributed to the feel of early Hardmode.
Now you can get wings when you're still pretty weak overall and have a lot of mining busywork to do.

What are your thoughts on Fledgling Wings?

wings.png

What?!? Nerf Fledgling Wings ?!?
I would rather say that it deserves to be buffed, not nerfed!!
o_O
They have less mobility than the goddamn Rocket Boots!
I am not sure what makes you think they have low mobility. They provide a lot of control over movement, and the ability to glide is not something to be underestimated.
And when combined with some basic accessories you get this:

wings.gif

In my new world that I started playing with a friend, I have significantly better mobility than I've ever had before in Pre-Hardmode. And we are in quite early Pre-Hardmode, even.

Having Rocket Boots triples the flight time of the wings, which is pretty ridiculous.

That actually shows how pathetic their base flight time is.

And when combined with some basic accessories you get this:

View attachment 294622

I see four mobility accessories there, stacking mobility items should ofc give good mobility. And the fact that you had to get off the ground three times just to fully get over a small hill doesn't scream "broken" to me.

Being able to dash doesn't significantly impact the effectiveness of Fledgling Wings, Rocket Boots do.

weak.gif

You can see how low base flight time Fledgling Wings indeed have, but the glide is nice. I think they're about up to par with Rocket Boots, especially with some extra mobility items.
Not quite overpowered.

strong.gif

This is what you get for combining the two, however. I would argue this is too strong and easily controllable mobility, being accessible quite early in the game progression.
I think the boost provided to the wings by the boots should be reduced.

And well, you'll end up using wings for the rest of the game. It surely won't feel that special anymore to get the first wings in Hardmode, even if they've considerably better flight time.
Rocket Boots, which used to be one of the cornerstones of Pre-Hardmode progression, don't get time to shine. They provide different mobility that's limited but quite enjoyable, and now they exist solely to be enslaved to boost the might of Fledgling Wings.

Last edited:
For me honestly, it's just as powerful as something like the bundle of balloons, seems pretty balanced for me honestly, maybe when outrunning bosses on 1080p screens it might be unbalanced since they give you more field of view over 720p screens.

I mean, the Fledgling Wings really are only powerful when paired with other mobility accessories. If not, it essentially provides the same benefits and slightly worse mobility than any horseshoe balloon. The very fact that you need to utilize precious accessory slots for mobility enhancing accessories makes it already fairly balanced.

Besides, it takes time to gather mobility enhancing frog leg accessories and balloon accessories to enhance the mobility of the Fledgling Wings, and any average Terrarian can probably beat the WoF using only one of those accessories; furthermore, as soon as one enters hardmode, they will probably throwaway the previously mentioned accessories for some superior and easy-to-get pair of wings anyway.

Last edited:
I mean, the Fledgling Wings really are only powerful when paired with other mobility accessories. If not, it essential provides the same benefits and slightly worse mobility than any horseshoe balloon. The very fact that you need to utilize precious accessory slots for mobility enhancing accessories makes it already fairly balanced.

Besides, it takes time to gather mobility enhancing frog leg accessories and balloon accessories to enhance the mobility of the Fledgling Wings, and any average Terrarian can probably beat the WoF using only one of those accessories; furthermore, as soon as one enters hardmode, they will probably throwaway the previously mentioned accessories for some superior and easy-to-get pair of wings anyway.
This is true, especially that last bit about better wings. Leaf Wings can be bought as soon as you enter hardmode. Or, if you're someone who's been blessed by RNGesus, you probably already have a giant harpy feather, meaning you're a wyvern or two away from Harpy Wings. Even early game, no one is going to want to fill their all of their accessory slots with a bunch of mobility boosters when there are so many better and useful accessories, so I don't see a reason to nerf the set of wings that don't even have half a second of flight time that you only have a chance of finding in a sky chest or sky crate.

Last edited:
Tried fledgling wings. Then opened terraria.org just to ensure this thread exists. 😁

I wouldn't lie that this is balanced, at least in terms of older Terraria versions progression.
Nevertheless this pair of pre-HM wings eliminates that heavy feeling of immovable lump what pre-hardmode players usually are. Therefore I personally would prefer have them left intact. Although considering reduced amount of underground cabins in 1.4, an effort put into search for lucky horseshoe is rather questionable now.

I mean, I don't really see the point. I can basically achieve the same effect with Rocket Boots and a Feather Fall potion, or even a Gravitation potion and a Lucky Horseshoe.
I think the comparison between clunky mobility that's reliant on consumables and the mobility from Fledgling Wings + Rocket Boots is not a very good comparison.
Nevertheless this pair of pre-HM wings eliminates that heavy feeling of immovable lump what pre-hardmode players usually are.
This is something I absolutely agree with, but I like that feel and think it's healthy for game progression.
You have several different gizmos of limited usefulness that you have to mix and match for your mobility needs, and then you get something appropriate enough.
Now you also have "hold spacebar to go up smoothly and then hold spacebar to go down smoothly" that is Fledgling Wings + Rocket Boots, which I think is the kind of mobility that should be limited to Hardmode where the game shifts more into being a game of big numbers.

I think personally the wings should just be made to not stack with the rocket boots as well. the wings by themself are fine, but i rocket boots alone combined with this thing (which you usually have since most people use the mobility boots and have at least spectre boots at this point) are ridiculous.

Everybody what's :red:ing about the Fledgling Wings in pre-hardmode simple answer for you don't use them.
I simply like them they don't need nerfing cause you are butthurt.
Sorry for my answer but someone has to say it.

Everybody what's :red:ing about the Fledgling Wings in pre-hardmode simple answer for you don't use them.
I simply like them they don't need nerfing cause you are butthurt.
Sorry for my answer but someone has to say it.
In addition we have to remember that Terraria is now in version 1.4.1.2 so the game developers will not make any new updates.
This means that there is no point in making suggestions here on the forums or talking about your wishes for things that could be in the game. It's all over people.

Back
Top Bottom