Weapons & Equip Nerf Fledgling Wings

What should be done to Fledgling Wings?

• They should be nerfed.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • They should be left as they are.

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • They should be made available later in Pre-Hardmode progression.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • They should be limited to Journey Mode.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • They should be buffed.

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
Actually, believe it or not, there are even stronger mobility items than Frostspark or even Terraspark in prehardmode. The Bundle of Balloons literally turns you into an assault aircraft, and the Amphibian Boots give all wings a permanent upgrade. This isn't to say that frostspark+it's upgrades are bad, it's just they aren't even the best and they're already better than these wings.
That's a fair point, but on some worlds it's impossible to even get the bundle of balloons without making another world, on top of the tedium of getting all the necessary ingredients. Lightning Boots are also an incredibly long and tedious crafting tree, let alone its upgrades. Fledgling Wings can be obtained as early as the first day if it's on an island close to spawn.

I think we don't need to discuss this issue anymore. It has already been concluded that the Fledgling Wings don't need to be nerfed in any way.
They deserve to stay the way they are or even be improved/buffed.

That's a fair point, but on some worlds it's impossible to even get the bundle of balloons without making another world, on top of the tedium of getting all the necessary ingredients. Lightning Boots are also an incredibly long and tedious crafting tree, let alone its upgrades. Fledgling Wings can be obtained as early as the first day if it's on an island close to spawn.
All that lightning boots give you that spectre boots don't already have is +4 miles per hour as your top speed. Not only that, but fledgeling wings are also much slower and less adaptable than a single featherfall potion, and if you run out of the ingredients for a featherfall potion you can just rope up into the sky and build a platform.

Wings are intended to be hardmode and were only added outside of journey mode for those who want to use them as vanity. The wings are not intended to be good in pre hardmode your supposed to use rocket boots or the like for Pre-HM bossfights this is especially apparent if you look at their AI.

Wings are intended to be hardmode and were only added outside of journey mode for those who want to use them as vanity. The wings are not intended to be good in pre hardmode your supposed to use rocket boots or the like for Pre-HM bossfights this is especially apparent if you look at their AI.
(I don't think you understand what AI is do you)

To me, this was a much wanted change, Calamity and Thorium both made pre-hm wings that are funnily both post skeletron champion wings obtained from the buried champion and can only be fought after skeletron has been defeated, though the flight armor gives wings as a set bonus, they aren't true wings and the skyline wings require bones, but either way, with all the changes made to Terraria it just makes sense to have pre-hm wings, as I never and I mean never used the lucky horseshoe because it just felt so underpowered compared to just using a bottle instead. I don't think that they need to be changed as they are easily replaced by rocket boots later on and it just makes progression feel a lot smoother to me, sure gliding is very helpful but you can't nerf the glide speed because it matches up with your running speed, so even if they have a flight speed of 15mph, any running boots boosts it up to 30mph, and the flight time isn't even half a second so it just makes sense to me to have these in pre-hm, they aren't super op, they aren't super trash, they're a good accessory that just made sense to obtain in sky islands, i mean they're literally called sky islands, Starfury is a sword forged with the fury of the heavens and is extremely useful sword that is needed for Zenith, and the shiny red balloon, a balloon that requires helium to float and allows you to jump higher (I don't really get this one but it kinda makes sense in a way). and then lucky horseshoe. it was a lucky horseshoe that prevented fall damage and it didn't make sense that it somehow ended up in a SKY ISLAND. it makes more sense for straight up WINGS to replace a horseshoe the belongs on a GROUNDED creature

Honestly doing a Master Mode Summoner Run at the moment and the Wings really aren't OP at all as I mentioned before, they're just QoL items and nothing more. Most bosses in Pre-Hardmode lack the super mobility and projectile spam Hardmode bosses have and you tend to fight bosses in enclosed spaces such as QB and BoC/EoW that what little flight the wings give is outclassed by Balloons + Bottle combos. I usually just swap it out for a more combat oriented accessory when fighting.

The only two bosses that really benefit from having the wings on is Skeletron and WoF both of which can be remedied by the Featherfall Potion if you're good enough at using it and the Slime Mount for the former to bounce on his head during his spin to gain distance. Meanwhile if you're crazy prepared with your Hellbridge for WoF the Fledging Wings do jack.

In Expert and Especially in Master Mode the player Pre-Hardmode is constantly starved for Accessory slots as every little boost makes a huge difference (Especially Summoner when you have to run aroun with the Pygmy Necklance 24/7) and other more precise movement Accessories such as Spectre Boots and it's upgrades and the Shield of Cthulhu compete with the Wings far too often. The Fledgling Wing's piss poor flight time really balance the thing out making it a "nice to have" rather than a "must have on 24/7" which becomes the case when the player gets introduced to proper wings in Hardmode.

If there is really a "nerf" to be had here I'd increase the wings rarity from White to Green to keep it in line with the other Floating Island stuff. As it stands the thing is absolutely dirt cheap to reforge for what it can provide.

Well, nerfing them is a bad idea because of really low flight height. Probably fall damage reduction should be halved, but not removed.

Well, nerfing them is a bad idea because of really low flight height. Probably fall damage reduction should be halved, but not removed.
The reason wings remove fall damage is because there’s nothing stopping the player from lightly tapping the space bar and gliding for a millisecond right before they hit the ground. Lucky horseshoes are gold chest loot now anyway so it’s not like that part of them even matters that much.

im doing a master summoner run too but the fledgeling wings were somehow good. with the right accessories it got a significant increase in flight time.

Back
Top Bottom