Items Nerf Reaver Shark

Dralexz™

Spazmatism
The Reaver Shark is a pickaxe. It ties with the Molten Pickaxe in terms of strength, both have 100% pickaxe power.
The problem? The reaver shark can be obtained day 2 on a small world. Day 1 if you are lucky, and it still skips a lot of time on a medium/large world.

You can just run to the ocean and build 2 houses. Obtain a bug net from and merchant fish up the reaver shark (it is not THAT rare really) and then go mine hellstone and obtain a full molten set, and then kill wall of flesh with ease. Almost the entire pre-hardmode can be skipped because of this. It seriously needs a nerf, on expert mode this pickaxe makes all bosses a faceroll if you can obtain full molten before fighting them.

There are two ways i can think of that can fix this.
1: Nerf pickaxe power to 60%, increase fishing chance.
2: Only make it obtainable after defeating EOW/BOC, and slightly increase pickaxe power?

You can just run to the ocean and build 2 houses. Obtain a bug net from and merchant fish up the reaver shark (it is not THAT rare really) and then go mine hellstone and obtain a full molten set, and then kill wall of flesh with ease. Almost the entire pre-hardmode can be skipped because of this. It seriously needs a nerf, on expert mode this pickaxe makes all bosses a faceroll if you can obtain full molten before fighting them.
But to even survive in the underworld you would need weapons and armor from the loot which BOC/EoW drops, and to even fight them you would need to explore the underground anyway. So I don't think that it needs a nerf. Plus, even if you obtain it early, it can be considered invaluable since its mainly for all of Pre-hardmode.

Just my thoughts.

But to even survive in the underworld you would need weapons and armor from the loot which BOC/EoW drops, and to even fight them you would need to explore the underground anyway. So I don't think that it needs a nerf. Plus, even if you obtain it early, it can be considered invaluable since its mainly for all of Pre-hardmode.

Just my thoughts.

I tried it without armor, the only things that are a problem is the bone serpents and imps. If you enter a hellstone/obsidian tower thing and mine all hellstone under it, it should be no problem.

Simple fix here. Gate it to post-skeletron.

I wonder if this wasn't intentional, though. It offers a way for experienced players to skip all the pre-HM slog and skip straight to the part of the game that's engaging and challenging.

That would've actually been some pretty well-made design, except it gets completely ruined since the Shark itself isn't gated by any means of skill. Which really is a pity, because this might've actually been a well-designed mechanic.

Simple fix here. Gate it to post-skeletron.

I wonder if this wasn't intentional, though. It offers a way for experienced players to skip all the pre-HM slog and skip straight to the part of the game that's engaging and challenging.

That would've actually been some pretty well-made design, except it gets completely ruined since the Shark itself isn't gated by any means of skill. Which really is a pity, because this might've actually been a well-designed mechanic.
That would be a problem, as "Post-Skeletron" can happen whenever, and minus PC and the cultists, doesn't even NEED to be beaten.

That would be a problem, as "Post-Skeletron" can happen whenever, and minus PC and the cultists, doesn't even NEED to be beaten.
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, because by definition "post-skeletron" does not happen 'whenever', it happens when you... beat skeletron... If you mean that you don't technically need to beat him to progress, that's true; However, almost everyone does because the dungeon is valuable.

If you mean this would unfairly gate access to the Reaver Shark because you 'don't need' to beat skeletron... Considering how much more important the dungeon is, I'd say not beating skeletron is going to create more problems than not being able to get a pickaxe that'll last for a fraction of the game.

The suggestion strikes me as a "stop liking what I don't like" thing. The Reaver Shark is a tool, not a super-weapon. Acquiring one makes common pre-hardmode chores less of a tiresome grind than they would otherwise be, without giving the user an unfair, game-unbalancing combat advantage.

Removing the ability to get a Reaver Shark at a point in play when it's still useful would do nothing but to increase the boredom factor without any compensating positive. I can't see a reason to support this proposal.

Now, if you wanted to make it a feature in a mod, I wouldn't object at all. That way only those who wanted to inflict tedium on themselves would be forced to suffer, instead of all Terraria players.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, because by definition "post-skeletron" does not happen 'whenever', it happens when you... beat skeletron... If you mean that you don't technically need to beat him to progress, that's true; However, almost everyone does because the dungeon is valuable.

If you mean this would unfairly gate access to the Reaver Shark because you 'don't need' to beat skeletron... Considering how much more important the dungeon is, I'd say not beating skeletron is going to create more problems than not being able to get a pickaxe that'll last for a fraction of the game.
A fraction of the game?
With that case, why do you complain?

A fraction of the game?
With that case, why do you complain?
Who said I was complaining? This isn't my thead, OP pointed out an... inconsistency with the game's balance, and I offered a practical solution.

Also, now that you've gotten me started- just because a problem is minor (Pre-HM is far shorter than HM) doesn't mean we shouldn't solve it.

Last edited:
And the pickaxe doesnt matter. You can abuse bugs in a very similar fashion. (On 3ds, dungeon doesnt recognize itself, i found a key in a pot and opened a golden chest with muramasa waaayyyy pre-skeletron. (wood tier))

The Reaver Shark is a pickaxe. It ties with the Molten Pickaxe in terms of strength, both have 100% pickaxe power.
The problem? The reaver shark can be obtained day 2 on a small world. Day 1 if you are lucky, and it still skips a lot of time on a medium/large world.

2: Only make it obtainable after defeating EOW/BOC, and slightly increase pickaxe power?
I did this on my summoner playthrough but I had used the reaver shark to mine hellstone to get an impstaff night 1
It is overpowered now that I think about it

I did this on my summoner playthrough but I had used the reaver shark to mine hellstone to get an impstaff night 1
It is overpowered now that I think about it
So is the fact that your first mobile character spawns with 200 hellstone and 200 obsidian so you don't even need to mine any for a molten pick, just a Hellforge., what is your point?

So is the fact that your first mobile character spawns with 200 hellstone and 200 obsidian so you don't even need to mine any for a molten pick, just a Hellforge., what is your point?
This was on pc :p
The reaver shark needs to be nerfed due it is simplicity on how it is obtained

Also, I cant survive the underworld that long in full molten, so i dont see how some skilled guy can survive it on day 2. Plus you happen to have forgotten that to make mobility just THAT much survivable in pre-hardmode you need Rocket Boots, a grappling hook (yeah right on day 2 for either) or both.
This was on pc :p
The reaver shark needs to be nerfed due it is simplicity on how it is obtained
PC facts? OK. Its also simple to hop down to the Dungeon and find a Water Bolt on day 1 on a bookshelf, and then fighting at night is easy, especially considering that PC just requires 3 fallen stars for a mana crystal and increased their fall rate, making it so that i can have a full mana bar before i end Pre-Hardmode.

Also, I cant survive the underworld that long in full molten, so i dont see how some skilled guy can survive it on day 2.
Its actually pretty simple to survive in the underworld on day 2/night 1
All that is needed is something that has decent knockback (in my case the enchanted boomerang)
and something that can keep enemies at bay

Its actually pretty simple to survive in the underworld on day 2/night 1
All that is needed is something that has decent knockback (in my case the enchanted boomerang)
and something that can keep enemies at bay
And something that can fly (rocket boots) and something that can grapple that probably has more than one hook on it, and decent armor so the fire imps dont torch you, and better jumping or flight so you can dodge the sickles, and the ability to remember not to kill the Voodoo Demons above lava until youre ready, and probably something that helps against fall damage, and something that makes lava hurt less. (Maybe not the BARE MINIMUM but it certainly makes it easier so you dont need to absorb every single thing of damage and can fight decently. Check and mate.

And something that can fly (rocket boots) and something that can grapple that probably has more than one hook on it, and decent armor so the fire imps dont torch you, and better jumping or flight so you can dodge the sickles, and the ability to remember not to kill the Voodoo Demons above lava until youre ready, and probably something that helps against fall damage, and something that makes lava hurt less. (Maybe not the BARE MINIMUM but it certainly makes it easier so you dont need to absorb every single thing of damage and can fight decently. Check and mate.
Alright, I'm stepping back in.

Just because you can't survive without certain gear doesn't mean that other people aren't capable of doing so. I would remind you that other people can kill bosses with copper shortswords and whatnot.

But hey, talk is cheap, right? So, just to prove my point: I took a new character, went into my usual world and got myself a nightmare pick (because I'm not spending three hours dealing with RNG), put on wood armor and a wood sword, made a new world and started digging.

I entered the Underworld with wood armor, a iron sword (made of material I got while digging down), a few health potions, rope and a lot of stone/dirt. Built myself a rope bridge back up. Went down again.

Long story short, I got over 150 hellstone before I stopped. And I didn't even get killed- I just realized that that was more than enough for a full set of molten armor and there was no more point in continuing, as once I have molten armor the Underworld is no longer a challenge.

Full molten armor, retrieved with four defense, a ten damage weapon, no accessories and a pickaxe equivalent to one you can obtain at the beginning of the game, without dying. To quote: Check and mate.

You can skip all of the ore weapons and armors pre-hardmode by getting a couple bombs then quickly running into the crimson/corruption (if your quick enough nothing spawns) and breaking a couple orbs, then you bomb the meteor that spawns (the weapons from shadow orbs/hearts are good enough to kill meteor heads quickly), and get meteor armor+space gun, which kills most things fairly easily in pre-hardmode.

Another thing you can do to skip a ton of early-game weaponry is to go into the jungle, and get an amazon. which is very, very easy because of how cheap it is.

I have a way to end this discussion once and for all (Hopefully).
Terraria has lots of game unbalances and inconsistencies, and to quote Leinfors, fishing is completely optional. In my first playthrough, I hardly fished at all. Just some Angler quests. And I progressed just fine. Also, if you are using a wood fishing pole and worms as bait, that adds up to 30% fishing power. The Reaver Shark has a 1/100 chance at 50%. That means that you are either going to be at the ocean for a while, or you get super lucky and end up with a good pick.
Which reminds me, having a good pickaxe is hardly game-changing (Most of the time - I'm looking at you, Shroomite Digging Claw). I mean, sure, you can go to the underworld and get molten armor. However, if you are a newbie, you won't even know the Reaver Shark exists, unless you look at a wiki or ask someone. And for more experienced players, who CARES if you can skip pre-hardmode? It is, without a doubt, the most boring part of the game. The only part that rivals it is the early-hardmode grind. So who really cares if more experienced players can skip that early grind? You have done it enough times already.

Sorry about my rant. I got carried away.

Edit: Looking back, I really did just vent into that post. Wow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom