Items Net/Bug Blade

CDR_Xavier

Skeletron Prime
A pre-hardmode (or hardmode?) melee weapon that destroys grass (and other normally-destroy-able vegetation), does not hurt critters and functions as a bug net.

Might be purchase-able with a high Bestiary completion, boss kill, or alternatively crafted.

Possible ingredients include golden bug net and guide to critter companionship.

Stats are unimportant, but it must be able to deal damage to enemies.

What would be the advantages of this over the Golden Bug Net?
Well, the point seems to be that it should work as a weapon, so I'm guessing it's meant to let you catch critters and kill enemies without having to switch weapons. Personally, while I wouldn't be opposed to an item like that, I don't see much point in it either.

Well, the point seems to be that it should work as a weapon, so I'm guessing it's meant to let you catch critters and kill enemies without having to switch weapons. Personally, while I wouldn't be opposed to an item like that, I don't see much point in it either.
Some time after posting I thought that a fusion of the Golden Bug Net with the Slap Hand could work nicely i.e.: catch critters while shoving monsters out of the way.

Last edited:
It does seem to be somewhat redundant, since the golden bug net do have the ability to destroy grass, and damaging enemies can be accomplished through the use of minions/centries.

However (for the case of jungle creatures) the larger jungle bushes require a pickaxe to destroy, and spawns (somewhat rare and valuable) critter in the process. Perhaps something could be introduced to streamline that process, seeing how we already have Axe of Regrowth.

It does seem to be somewhat redundant, since the golden bug net do have the ability to destroy grass, and damaging enemies can be accomplished through the use of minions/centries.

However (for the case of jungle creatures) the larger jungle bushes require a pickaxe to destroy, and spawns (somewhat rare and valuable) critter in the process. Perhaps something could be introduced to streamline that process, seeing how we already have Axe of Regrowth.
I posted a suggestion to add the ability to destroy those kinds of larger rubble to the Golden Bug Net, it's the most straightforward way to solve this.

I posted a suggestion to add the ability to destroy those kinds of larger rubble to the Golden Bug Net, it's the most straightforward way to solve this.
Then you end up with the kind of situation where what's meant to be a feature is actually the opposite for a lot of people (the kind of thing Leinfors talked about some time ago, unless I'm mistaken). I have a lot of rubble and background plants around my main base specifically because I won't break them as I kill enemies or catch critters around my home.

Then you end up with the kind of situation where what's meant to be a feature is actually the opposite for a lot of people (the kind of thing Leinfors talked about some time ago, unless I'm mistaken). I have a lot of rubble and background plants around my main base specifically because I won't break them as I kill enemies or catch critters around my home.
But that's what the Guide to Whatever items are for, no?

But that's what the Guide to Whatever items are for, no?
The guide to environmental preservation is a rather flawed item because it gets in the way a lot during normal gameplay, mainly because it prevents the breaking of vines. Vines very commonly block light, making underground and in some cases surface and underworld exploration a lot more dangerous. I don't want to have to switch it on or off every time I return to or leave my base, because that's negative QoL and in my opinon easily outweighs tapping M5(smart cursor) and M1 to break a background object occasionally. And I would inevitably end up demolishing my front yard eventually because I forgot to turn it on once. Also, it takes up inventory space, which grows ever more valuable as more items are added to the game. Yeah, you could combine the guides, but that's even worse because then you can't break vines without also risking killing critters. As far as I'm concerned, the guide to environmental preservation is only worth carrying if you have builds that deliberately contain vines or other easily breakable vegetation.

Man, you guys have some weird ways to go about the game. By the way, my suggestion was for the Golden Bug Net to only destroy rubble that can spawn bait, specifically the big jungle bushes and some stuff on the surface and caverns.

Man, you guys have some weird ways to go about the game.
There's nothing weird about wanting to have a nice-looking home base without being hindered every time you go underground.
By the way, my suggestion was for the Golden Bug Net to only destroy rubble that can spawn bait, specifically the big jungle bushes and some stuff on the surface and caverns.
And I want to be able to catch frogs without turning my jungle barren. Like I said above, this is the kind of feature that would make a lot of people unhappy, probably more people than those that it would make happy. All that's needed to break bushes and rocks is to tap M1 once, and once you've been through your jungle surface once you won't encounter those objects all that often. It's a change that would trade a small convenience for a bigger inconvenience for a lot of people. The rubblemaker was added specifically because people want to decorate their worlds with these objects.

Seriously? Being able to catch more bait with an item specifically designed to help you catch more bait is a minor inconvenience? You do know that the Golden Bug Net is a fishing reward to help you catch more bait and not a landscaping tool, right? Seeing how you don't know that the big jungle plants regrow fairly quickly and how much of a huge annoyance it is to stop and break each one of those individually while looking for bait, I'm going to guess you don't fish much if at all and somehow stumbled upon the Golden Bug Net as a great tool for your decoration purposes and think everyone uses it for that.

By the way, you can catch frogs with the other 2 nets just fine and break grass and vines with weapons or the Lavaproof Bug Net but hey, let's not hinder people's ability to use an item for some unrelated purpose for the sake of making it better at what it's intended for.

You do know that the Golden Bug Net is a fishing reward to help you catch more bait and not a landscaping tool, right?
And that's why I don't want it to be used to break background objects. If you somehow misunderstood me, I wasn't saying I use the net to break vines, I was explaining how poorly designed the environmental protection guide(s) are and why I don't want to have to waste inventory space on one.
By the way, you can catch frogs with the other 2 nets just fine and break grass and vines with weapons or the Lavaproof Bug Net but hey, let's not hinder people's ability to use an item for some unrelated purpose for the sake of making it better at what it's intended for.
You're arguing that we should force a double edged feature onto a tool - that's going to hinder people's ability to catch critters around their homes without breaking things that it currently doesn't. You're trading utility for what I consider a very niche use. As I mentioned above, that's just the kind of change that's as likely to make people unhappy as it is to make them happy. If this is considered worth adding, it should at least be its own separate item in order to not take away utility from an existing tool. Make a picknet, and combine it with Xavier's idea to make it able to damage enemies while you're at it.

Look bro, I'll admit that I don't do building or landscaping and that I think the Guides to Stuff are great items with perfect implementation and functionality (except for the case of breaking vines) that everyone should be using and that I don't understand any of the points you're making. But if what I suggested gets implemented and you or anyone else can't switch to the Lavaproof Bug Net to do whatever it is that you were previously doing with the Golden Bug Net then you just deserve to be unhappy, alright?

Now can you do me a favour and stop arguing that being able to catch more bait with an item that's used to catch bait is somehow bad when you clearly don't even do fishing? Thank you.

Also, if that thing I suggested gets added as a new item that's an upgrade to the Golden Bug Net, that would be great too and everyone would be happy.

Man, you guys have some weird ways to go about the game. By the way, my suggestion was for the Golden Bug Net to only destroy rubble that can spawn bait, specifically the big jungle bushes and some stuff on the surface and caverns.
And I want to be able to catch frogs without turning my jungle barren

Maybe we can have a "tweakable"/alternate function, not unlike the grand design or the DCU. Holding left click will not destroy grass (and stone) but right click will
Or that right-clicking brings up a menu that allow you to adjust the settings (of destroying grass/rubble)

Could have a fancy name like "The Entomologist"

Destroying grass I agree can sometimes be anoying, such as when you are trying to catch dragonfly, since it will destroy the cattail they spawn from. But you can always use the "stock" bug net, albeit being much weaker.
In this case I guess environmental protection will be good.

The current "solution" of jungle critter collection involves multiple players, one responsible for destroying the plants and another for gathering. Which I am not against, as it promotes social interactions and multiplayer.
But you then still need some form to fend off the swarm of jungle enemies because now there are two players

Last edited:
Maybe we can have a "tweakable"/alternate function, not unlike the grand design or the DCU. Holding left click will not destroy grass (and stone) but right click will
If left click doesn't destroy anything and right click destroys everything including rubble then someone people will complain because reasons. So how about adding smart cursor functionality to Golden But Net that lets it target and break rubble (as if it were a pickaxe)?
Or that right-clicking brings up a menu that allow you to adjust the settings (of destroying grass/rubble)
Devs said don't want to add more things with right-click menus like the Grand Design because it's too much work.

If left click doesn't destroy anything and right click destroys everything including rubble then someone people will complain because reasons. So how about adding smart cursor functionality to Golden But Net that lets it target and break rubble (as if it were a pickaxe)?

Devs said don't want to add more things with right-click menus like the Grand Design because it's too much work.
or, (again) hear me out, click once with your pickaxe.

Currently, the golden net does destroy grass and does not destroy background decorations, the exact functionality that 99% of players want. If it destroyed background decorations like plants, it would cause world griefing, and if it did not destroy grass (such as using the environmental guide as you suggested), it would not be able to find critters like grasshoppers.

Back
Top Bottom