Items Net/Bug Blade

Now can you do me a favour and stop arguing that being able to catch more bait with an item that's used to catch bait is somehow bad when you clearly don't even do fishing? Thank you.
Why are you getting so worked up about this? You're proposing a change that would alter the way a tool can be used, and others are arguing against you because what you're suggesting would be a downgrade to them. Why should we have to switch to inferior tools because the currently best one got changed in a way that makes it undesirable to us? You can already catch jungle critters with the golden net, you just need to tap M1 every few seconds to break the background objects. I've already suggested that your idea should be added to a separate item if it's considered worth adding, or as a right-click-to-change function, I suppose. If I were to suggest that the last prism should be able to break blocks because it would be the undisputed best heavy mining tool, you can bet that people would object to it, no matter how good it is at mining. No, that's not the exact same, but the point is that adding functionality to a tool that's a drawback to many users isn't a good idea.
Try catching large amounts of bait in the jungle for pre-hardmode fishing, tell me how that goes for you.
I've never needed to do any noteworthy jungle critter farming in order to do all my fishing. It sounds like this is a niche need to begin with, because the average player won't need enough jungle critters that tapping M1 a few times will be considered any particular inconvenience. Actually, with the low drop rate of golden bug net, I would consider it unrealistic to expect it to drop before you're more or less done with pre-hardmode anyway (assuming typical progression speed).

Why are you getting so worked up about this? You're proposing a change that would alter the way a tool can be used, and others are arguing against you because what you're suggesting would be a downgrade to them. Why should we have to switch to inferior tools because the currently best one got changed in a way that makes it undesirable to us? You can already catch jungle critters with the golden net, you just need to tap M1 every few seconds to break the background objects. I've already suggested that your idea should be added to a separate item if it's considered worth adding, or as a right-click-to-change function, I suppose. If I were to suggest that the last prism should be able to break blocks because it would be the undisputed best heavy mining tool, you can bet that people would object to it, no matter how good it is at mining. No, that's not the exact same, but the point is that adding functionality to a tool that's a drawback to many users isn't a good idea.
Ok, here, I'll try explaining this to you one last time and I'll use those examples you gave so maybe you'll finally get it this time:

Imagine the Golden Bug Net actually works as I had suggested (breaks certain rubble types when swinging). You come here suggesting it should stop doing that because you like to use the Lavaproof Bug Net for landscaping and if the Golden Bug Net worked the same way (i.e.: works as it currently does), it would be a great upgrade to your landscaping toolset. A couple people come around saying that's a terrible idea because they only use the Golden Bug Net to catch bait and your suggestion would be a downgrade from their perspective. You argue with them that it can be used in ways other than just for catching bait but you can't convince them no matter what, even though they sound like perfectly reasonable people, which makes you frustrated, angry and wondering if they're actually :red:ed.

Also imagine the Last Prism is able to break blocks and one of the guys with whom you're arguing says that's a ridiculous feature which doesn't belong in the item and should be removed and you can already use the Lavaproof Bug Ne- I mean, Celebration Mk2 for mining anyway so you're just left with a "why the :red: is this argument still going on" in your thoughts.

Also, now that I checked, Aceplante dropped an indirect thumbs up to my idea in the actual thread I made about it so I don't know if he's been trolling this whole time or is just stupid.
I've never needed to do any noteworthy jungle critter farming in order to do all my fishing. It sounds like this is a niche need to begin with, because the average player won't need enough jungle critters that tapping M1 a few times will be considered any particular inconvenience. Actually, with the low drop rate of golden bug net, I would consider it unrealistic to expect it to drop before you're more or less done with pre-hardmode anyway (assuming typical progression speed).
Well, maybe you would have considered it if you lucked out and got the Golden Bug Net early one time. Who knows, maybe you'd have gone to the jungle for some grass seeds to make a jungle grass farm near your house, because you can use the critters both as bait and for making food, only to realise it sucks because those big jungle bushes keep growing in place of the smaller grass and you need to break each one individually with a pickaxe. Maybe afterwards you'd think "Hmm, what if the Golden Bug Net was able to break those just like it breaks normal grass..."

Ok, I'm done now, enjoy your landscaping with a Bug Nets.

Also, now that I checked, Aceplante dropped an indirect thumbs up to my idea in the actual thread I made about it so I don't know if he's been trolling this whole time or is just stupid.
To clarify, I guess I'm maybe okay with golden nets ONLY destroying jungle plants, as long as it did not affect any other kinds of rubble like rocks etc, but I dont think it works that way. Either it destroys background rubble or it doesnt.

And out of those options, I'm glad it doesn't.

Either it destroys background rubble or it doesnt.
I don't think so. As far as I can tell, swings from Bug Net upgrades work exactly like regular melee weapon swings except they don't do damage to entities and catch critters instead. However the Staff/Axe of Regrowth, which otherwise works like a regular melee weapon, has all sorts of exceptions to what it can/can't break, including one where it doesn't break any vine except the one that was added most recently (flower vine). Probably an oversight but it seems to confirm my suspicion that there are lists somewhere in the program of what can and can't be broken by this or that tool so it would just be a matter of creating a new list for the Bug Net upgrades and putting the jungle plants there (and adding an exception to make them stop breaking cattails too).

Alternatively, I guess those big plants could just behave like pots and regular grass, as in they get destroyed when hit with basically anything. Those things regrow quickly anyway.

Ok, here, I'll try explaining this to you one last time and I'll use those examples you gave so maybe you'll finally get it this time:
You're not even making sense at this point. You keep accusing me of wanting to use a bug net for landscaping, when I want to remain the way it is rather than affect the landscape more. I've suggested more than one way to retain the current golden bug net functionality while also allowing either it or another item to break background objects. That way, both of us would get what we want. Even then, you refuse to consider it and accuse me of being "actually :red:ed". You're proposing a change that would be a change for the worse for many others, and you refuse to listen to and insult those that don't agree with that change. You twisted my last prism example into the opposite of I said; I said that people would object if someone proposed a change that would make it break blocks. I outright spelled my point out ("the point is that adding functionality to a tool that's a drawback to many users isn't a good idea."), but you seem to have ignored that on purpose. Yes, the celebration mk.2 exists, but that's entirely irrelevant to the point (and if we're comparing it the net suggestion, pickaxes exist.)
I'll repeat myself: two simple ways to give both of us what we want is to make the bug net a toggleable item, between the current functionality and one that can break background objects (and if you want to go the extra mile, even one that won't break any vegetation) or by adding another net that can break background objects (which can also include Xavier's idea to make it damage enemies). If you oppose that, I can't think of any reason except that you're doing it out of spite. Considering you said...
Alternatively, I guess those big plants could just behave like pots and regular grass, as in they get destroyed when hit with basically anything. Those things regrow quickly anyway.
even after I explained why the guide items are flawed, I certainly get the impression that you're trying to be spiteful. That'd be a big pain to anyone using large plants as decoration anywhere.

I'm done with this thread, there's no point in continuing if you're going to twist my words around and claim that I'm :red:ed. Considering the ratio of suggestions that get implemented to ones that don't, it's very unlikely to happen in the first place.

but you seem to have ignored that on purpose.
Haha, pot calling the kettle black much? Here, this is what you missed: #18
(...) So how about adding smart cursor functionality to Golden But Net that lets it target and break rubble (as if it were a pickaxe)? (...)

Also,
even after I explained why the guide items are flawed, I certainly get the impression that you're trying to be spiteful. That'd be a big pain to anyone using large plants as decoration anywhere.
No, that would be a big pain to people like you who don't want to use the Guides because they're flawed in some way, therefore completely garbage, and/or who think some random vines growing here and there are of greater importance than the base they spend so much time and effort decorating. But hey, just to demonstrate that I actually care about your woes (even if I probably don't), and don't spite you at all (even if I probably do), I came up with this suggestion when thinking about your problem. Go leave me a thumbs up there so there's a slightly bigger chance that you'll get what you want.

Long story short, nets should not destroy jungle plants or any other background decoration for that matter. They currently do not, and I hope it stays that way.

I'm done with this thread, there's no point in continuing if you're going to twist my words around and claim that I'm :red:ed.
Haha, pot calling the kettle black much? Here, this is what you missed: #18

This discussion appears to have gotten heated to the point of becoming personal.

@Cave wizard and @firecat666

Both of you please take a step back. Having a debate over a suggestion is fine as long as it is respectful, but when it gets personal, it has gone too far.

This discussion appears to have gotten heated to the point of becoming personal.

@Cave wizard and @firecat666

Both of you please take a step back. Having a debate over a suggestion is fine as long as it is respectful, but when it gets personal, it has gone too far.
Surely you see the irony in calling me back into a thread that I explicitly said that I was done with, only to tell me to not continue. The only reason I'm making this post is that you pinged me, and I won't be making another.

Back
Top Bottom