Other New class: Healer

Firch

Official Terrarian
Disclaimer (kinda): You can say: "hey man there's already healer in thorium!!!" Yeah I know, but I think this healer is a bit boring and not unique at all - it uses (for some weird reason) staves, guns and scythes, so healer in thorium is basically all classes combined together but with addition of healing and new damage type. Boooring!

This is my second suggestion on adding new class (previous one), and probably not last (I want to make a bard next). I follow these rules when I creating a new class idea.

This class is based on consumable items - foods and medicine. The role of weapons will play miscellaneous frying pans, pots, stoves, other cookware items, first aid kits, syringe-making kits, etc.

How it works:
When you using your weapon (for example, portable cooking pot?) you wasting some small amount of time and fill a "cell" note: you aren't using any ammo/materials to fill it up. Cells are shown above your player and they're storing your cooked food. (It works similarly to weapon's ammo, but this mechanic stores ammo directly in your weapon, and you making ammo by yourself in battle.) Amount of cells is 3 by default, but you can increase/decrease amount of them via accessories or other items. When you filled up all your cells, you are able to leave your cooked thing in mid-air/ground, almost like drops/items. They're work like some kind of pickups: you/your teammate can pick up these food things to heal up. To fight with these foods, you just need to "bait" your enemies to pick-up them - instead of healing, they will gain damage from your food (you're a terrible chef/medic, lol).

So, each healer weapon has:
Damage

Healing points
Time of cooking/creating/filling your cell
Amount of cells
Pickup range(?)

and, obviously, you can change these stats with accessories and armor.

I think I will make a sprites later... Feel free to say what do you think!

Last edited:
That sounds pretty interesting.
I wouldn't call it a healer, I think healer in thorium is fine as it is (though didn't played modded since a while, but when I tried a healer playthrough prior to 1.4 and stuff, it was pretty fun.)

But while I think this isn't a "healer", it do sounds like a very unique class idea. something like a chef class XD lol
or, it's a sub-class of another class, like a class dealing with traps and such. so, like placing various stuff on the ground / mid-air that can hurt enemies who walk through them (think of stuff like landmines and such - there are similar weapons in the game already, but only a few.). they could make some stuff that can heal themselves and/or other players too.

But balancing that out could be quite tricky.

That sounds pretty interesting.
I wouldn't call it a healer, I think healer in thorium is fine as it is (though didn't played modded since a while, but when I tried a healer playthrough prior to 1.4 and stuff, it was pretty fun.)

But while I think this isn't a "healer", it do sounds like a very unique class idea. something like a chef class XD lol
or, it's a sub-class of another class, like a class dealing with traps and such. so, like placing various stuff on the ground / mid-air that can hurt enemies who walk through them (think of stuff like landmines and such - there are similar weapons in the game already, but only a few.). they could make some stuff that can heal themselves and/or other players too.

But balancing that out could be quite tricky.
Imo the biggest problem with Thorium's healer is no defined type of weapons. Look what I mean: Mages are using staves and book, rangers are using bows and guns, meanwhile Thorium's healer uses almost every type of weapons from other classes (like guns, scythes, etc.).

And my healer uses only two main types of weapons: Food and Medicine. No scythes, no healing staves, nothing confusing or conflicting.

Imo the biggest problem with Thorium's healer is no defined type of weapons. Look what I mean: Mages are using staves and book, rangers are using bows and guns, meanwhile Thorium's healer uses almost every type of weapons from other classes (like guns, scythes, etc.).

And my healer uses only two main types of weapons: Food and Medicine. No scythes, no healing staves, nothing confusing or conflicting.
Healers (Thorium's) use double scythes - I think that's their signature weapon - and other stuff that are often related to clerics or some other type of healers. the general thing connecting these stuff is, that many of them heal, or provides some other, mostly defensive support to allies. except for healers with corrupted radient power, but, so, they're a sub-class, being dark-priests and the like.

Of course, only support skills would be useless in a game where single-player matters a real lot, so they need weapons that can hurt enemies too, hence the doubly scythes and other stuff, IMO.

and, yeah, they have a wide arsenal of weapons, but so do melee class for example, having swords, lances, boomerangs, flails and whatnot. not to mention projectile melee weapons...

Healers (Thorium's) use double scythes - I think that's their signature weapon - and other stuff that are often related to clerics or some other type of healers. the general thing connecting these stuff is, that many of them heal, or provides some other, mostly defensive support to allies. except for healers with corrupted radient power, but, so, they're a sub-class, being dark-priests and the like.

Of course, only support skills would be useless in a game where single-player matters a real lot, so they need weapons that can hurt enemies too, hence the doubly scythes and other stuff, IMO.

and, yeah, they have a wide arsenal of weapons, but so do melee class for example, having swords, lances, boomerangs, flails and whatnot. not to mention projectile melee weapons...
I'm saying that scythes can be classified as melee weapons. There's no a real logical connection between scythes and healing - especially as a weapon. Yeah, thorium has pills and other stuff, but there's no connection for example between scythe (that you supposed to swing in your hands) and syringe (that you supposed to throw at mobs/teammates). You also said about that melee class has wide range of weapons, but all melee weapons have one common feature - they dealing physical damage while you swinging/moving them in your hands. Thorium doesn't have such common thing in Healer, and that's was the first reason why I created this post.

I'm saying that scythes can be classified as melee weapons. There's no a real logical connection between scythes and healing - especially as a weapon. Yeah, thorium has pills and other stuff, but there's no connection for example between scythe (that you supposed to swing in your hands) and syringe (that you supposed to throw at mobs/teammates). You also said about that melee class has wide range of weapons, but all melee weapons have one common feature - they dealing physical damage while you swinging/moving them in your hands. Thorium doesn't have such common thing in Healer, and that's was the first reason why I created this post.
You're right with that, but a completely healing/support-based class would be completely useless in singleplayer, and not very useful in multiplayer either.

You could throw around poisoned syringes, vials and whatnot, but then it's just thrower class, which is again not healer, but an entirelly different class.

I think, it's kind of something like, when most of your weapons are special (most healer weapons are like that), you need something reliable as another weapon. double scythes work well like that.
though, it might be part that I like to carry around a sword for all classes, just in case if mana/ammo runs out, or need to deal with stuff like cobwebs or such, or just generally when not feel like wasting ammo, or just want to vent some frustration on some zombies or whatever. XD in this regards, carrying a sword with a ranger or mage is a bit wasted on the attack-department, because they get no boost on those. but would their melee weapons do ranged/magic dmg. then it would fit them well. like enchanter's swords in Thorium for mages.

so, that's why I think, double scythes are good as they are. yes, they are melee, but would the class be just as fun without them?

---

it's a bit off-topic, but I also have a class idea, and I also though that said class also would have signature weapons that look like melee, but the class itself is more like a type of mage. I don't have many useful ideas for it (if you're interested, we can make a new topic for it, to not derail this one) but, so I thought of a class, like "geomancer" - kind of based on that from Final Fantasy Grimoire to the Rift (and probably several others)
a class that would utilise the power of the biomes.

since biomes are such an important thing in Terraria, yet no class is built on using their power (besides the basic materials they get from there)

but because said spells would be not very reliable in all cases, I thought, they would have batons or such as side-weapons, which are "melee" weapons, functioning both as a sword (swing attack, just weaker compared to swords) and lance (thrust attack) - so, like, left click: swing, right click: thrust.

but the main thing would be using spells related to the biome they're in - or the biome they carry around in equipped "X biome in a bottle" (e.g. "Crimson in a Bottle" would allow a geomancer to use crimson biome related geomancy spells regardless what biomes they're in, in addition to the spells for the current biome.
These bottles could be tinkered together in hardmode - maybe mid-late hardmode - into something ("Tarraria in a Bottle"?) that allows all of their spells to work everywhere? I dunno.

I brought it up, part because of the whole stuff with discussing if double scythes are healer weapons. I think, even if they don't heal, they are needed to make healers reliable, and useful in every situation.
but if you have ideas for this other class, we could discuss it too, you have good ideas about classes, so we might can make something useful out of this idea too.

You're right with that, but a completely healing/support-based class would be completely useless in singleplayer, and not very useful in multiplayer either.

You could throw around poisoned syringes, vials and whatnot, but then it's just thrower class, which is again not healer, but an entirelly different class.

I think, it's kind of something like, when most of your weapons are special (most healer weapons are like that), you need something reliable as another weapon. double scythes work well like that.
though, it might be part that I like to carry around a sword for all classes, just in case if mana/ammo runs out, or need to deal with stuff like cobwebs or such, or just generally when not feel like wasting ammo, or just want to vent some frustration on some zombies or whatever. XD in this regards, carrying a sword with a ranger or mage is a bit wasted on the attack-department, because they get no boost on those. but would their melee weapons do ranged/magic dmg. then it would fit them well. like enchanter's swords in Thorium for mages.

so, that's why I think, double scythes are good as they are. yes, they are melee, but would the class be just as fun without them?

---

it's a bit off-topic, but I also have a class idea, and I also though that said class also would have signature weapons that look like melee, but the class itself is more like a type of mage. I don't have many useful ideas for it (if you're interested, we can make a new topic for it, to not derail this one) but, so I thought of a class, like "geomancer" - kind of based on that from Final Fantasy Grimoire to the Rift (and probably several others)
a class that would utilise the power of the biomes.

since biomes are such an important thing in Terraria, yet no class is built on using their power (besides the basic materials they get from there)

but because said spells would be not very reliable in all cases, I thought, they would have batons or such as side-weapons, which are "melee" weapons, functioning both as a sword (swing attack, just weaker compared to swords) and lance (thrust attack) - so, like, left click: swing, right click: thrust.

but the main thing would be using spells related to the biome they're in - or the biome they carry around in equipped "X biome in a bottle" (e.g. "Crimson in a Bottle" would allow a geomancer to use crimson biome related geomancy spells regardless what biomes they're in, in addition to the spells for the current biome.
These bottles could be tinkered together in hardmode - maybe mid-late hardmode - into something ("Tarraria in a Bottle"?) that allows all of their spells to work everywhere? I dunno.

I brought it up, part because of the whole stuff with discussing if double scythes are healer weapons. I think, even if they don't heal, they are needed to make healers reliable, and useful in every situation.
but if you have ideas for this other class, we could discuss it too, you have good ideas about classes, so we might can make something useful out of this idea too.
Healing based class doesn't mean it doesn't deal damage, just making weapons to fullfill the class to be playable without using weapons from other classes isn't fun. Accurate example is summoner, this type of class doesn't forbids using other types of weapons. (Actually I really like to brainstorm and discuss ideas this way :) .)

Your class idea is good tho, but maybe too similar to mage? Or can this class be subclass of mage? I don't know. I like the idea of using biome powers to fight

Healing based class doesn't mean it doesn't deal damage, just making weapons to fullfill the class to be playable without using weapons from other classes isn't fun. Accurate example is summoner, this type of class doesn't forbids using other types of weapons. (Actually I really like to brainstorm and discuss ideas this way :) .)

Your class idea is good tho, but maybe too similar to mage? Or can this class be subclass of mage? I don't know. I like the idea of using biome powers to fight
Brainstorming is fun!

The stuff with summoners again something really just depends on viewpoint, since some can (and do) say, that "whips are melee weapons" too.
But summoner is another kind of odd class that really needed a side-weapon like that. When I tried summoner after the update, I was more than happy to have some weapons I can actually use for self-defense in case of invasions or something, if something killed the character. You just don't have time to resummon everything... and a summoner without their summons, is just completely defenseless otherwise...

But there is also the thing about "pure" classes, and, summoner is still much better if you don't stick so strictly to summon weapons only, especially early game.
This kind of brings us back to that too what I said about using swords with other classes too, that there could be some more hybrid armors too.

But as for geomancer, yeah, it's quite similar to mages if it's just like this, so there could be other differences too. but not exactly sure what. or what their weapons would exactly do.
I thought of weapons that behave differently based on the biome they're in, but that probably would be a coding nightmare... or weapons, that only work when in their respective biome (or said biome bottle is equipped), but this would mean you would have to carry around several if you're traveling through several biomes.

but there are several interesting factors there, for example, artifical biomes. you can make them normally too, for farming stuff or other reasons, but geomancers could do that also to utilise them. like, considering the biome, when building arenas against bosses where there's no set biome requirement, etc.

and, in general, a sort of class which is interested in knowing more about the biomes. because geomancers' power comes from them. so, you're not just a knight, marching through whatever land and your focus is on the monsters mostly, but, a sort of kinda scolarly class, who tries to examine the area more, to figure out what powers lie within that place, and how could those powers be tamed and used to serve the geomancer's cause.

Back
Top Bottom