Weapons & Equip New combined accessory

spide__8

Skeletron
Good afternoon. I have an issue about adding a new accessory.
In the 1.4.0.1 update, the Terraspark Boots accessory was added, which combines the actions of Frostspark Boots and Lava Waders. Will an accessory be added that has abilities like Hero Shield and Ankh Shield for extra happiness? I hope the developers hear me and add this accessory in the next update. Thanks for reading.

90% of combined accessories with elaborate crafting trees are way less powerful than people give them credit for and have maybe 1-2 powerful effects with literally everything else being borderline useless. This is why Amphibian boots are considered better than Terraspark boots. Amphibian boots have two incredibly powerful effects that are useful 100% of the time for every point of the game while most of the Terraspark boots’ effects stop being useful at all the moment hardmode starts.

The only exception to this rule is the Celestial Shell, and it’s frankly too powerful. I don’t think it would be good for the game if another accessory on that level was added.

Last edited:
90% of combined accessories with elaborate crafting trees are way less powerful than people give them credit for and have maybe 1-2 powerful effects with literally everything else being borderline useless. This is why Amphibian boots are considered better than Terraspark boots. Amphibian boots have two incredibly powerful effects that are useful 100% of the time for every point of the game while most of the Terraspark boots’ effects stop being useful at all the moment hardmode starts.

The only exception to this rule is the Celestial Shell, and it’s frankly too powerful. I don’t think it would be good for the game if another accessory on that level was added.
If Terraspark loses most of its usefulness at the start of Hardmode, which it doesn't, then so does Amphibian. Why should a early game item have more usefulness in Early Hardmode than a Late pre-Hardmode one? Besides, Terraspark is better than Amphibian. You need proof? Then let's compare them, shall we?

Terraspark_Boots.png
Terraspark Boots
Amphibian_Boots.png
Amphibian Boots
Increased horizontal Jump distance when jumping while running (indirectly)
Not really that useful, Terraspark loses here
Double Jump height
Pretty useful, though it loses some of it's usefulness while Underground
and when the player obtains a decent Grappling Hook.
Amphibian still wins this one
Terraspark doesn't have anything like auto-jump
Terraspark loses again
Allows auto-Jump
Meh, not really useful, I think most of us can live without it
Amphibian wins this one
Grants Flight
Not only can you use it in small bursts
without trowing away the whole charge
it also immediatly cancels fall damage upon use!
Terraspark definetely wins this one
Increased Fall resistance
Takes more tiles to start taking fall damage. That's it.
Terraspark crushes Amphibian in this one.
Super Fast Running Speed
Grants a top speed of 34 mph
If mathematic isn't an opinion, then Terraspark wins again!
Fast Running Speed
Grants a top speed of 30 MPH
The numbers speak for themselves, Amphibian loses
Liquid Walking
Grants the ability to walk on liquids, pretty useful for the Duke Fishron fight, fishing,
and in general to not have to deal with the pain of trying to exit a liquid
while slowed down like hell (looking at you Honey).
Oh, did I mention that landing on any liquid nullifies fall damage?
Amphibian doesn't even have any liquid related ability, making Terraspark the winner.
Swimming in wa- HANG ON A SEC,
Amphibian does not have any liquid related ability!
Then why is it called Amphibian boots?
Was Re-logic drunk on Blinkroot while making this item?
(no offense meant, it's just a joke. Hope it's not too offensive)
Amphibian loses from the start here.
Immunity to Fire Blocks
Grants immunity to the Burning debuff caused by Meteorite and Hellstone
Trust me, losing 50 HP per second is absolutely no joke, even in Hardmode
Terraspark is the undiscussed winner of this one
Amphibian doesn't have anything close to immunity to fire blocks
Amphibian loses before it even got a chance to fight
7 seconds of Immunity from Lava
This one speaks for itself, pretty useful if you constantly get knocked in the Lava
Though by the time you obtain Terraspark you would be able
to craft plenty of Obsidian skin potions.
Still, not having to carry them around can be nice
Terraspark continues it's winning streak
As already stated two rows above,
Amphibian doesn't have any liquid related ability.
Amphibian continues its losing streak
Reduced damage from lava
Pretty nice if you continuosly get knocked in Lava
Or if you are submerged by so much Lava
that it will take more than 7 seconds to traverse it
Terraspark wins once again
No Liquid related ability means no Lava damage reduction
Amphibian loses from the very start
Terraspark is the winner here, though Amphibian is superior in some areas Amphibian loses here, though it is still superior in some areas to Terraspark

If Terraspark loses most of its usefulness at the start of Hardmode, which it doesn't, then so does Amphibian. Why should a early game item have more usefulness in Early Hardmode than a Late pre-Hardmode one? Besides, Terraspark is better than Amphibian. You need proof? Then let's compare them, shall we?

View attachment 296052Terraspark BootsView attachment 296054Amphibian Boots
Increased horizontal Jump distance when jumping while running (indirectly)
Not really that useful, Terraspark loses here
Double Jump height
Pretty useful, though it loses some of it's usefulness while Underground
and when the player obtains a decent Grappling Hook.
Amphibian still wins this one
Terraspark doesn't have anything like auto-jump
Terraspark loses again
Allows auto-Jump
Meh, not really useful, I think most of us can live without it
Amphibian wins this one
Grants Flight
Not only can you use it in small bursts
without trowing away the whole charge
it also immediatly cancels fall damage upon use!
Terraspark definetely wins this one
Increased Fall resistance
Takes more tiles to start taking fall damage. That's it.
Terraspark crushes Amphibian in this one.
Super Fast Running Speed
Grants a top speed of 34 mph
If mathematic isn't an opinion, then Terraspark wins again!
Fast Running Speed
Grants a top speed of 30 MPH
The numbers speak for themselves, Amphibian loses
Liquid Walking
Grants the ability to walk on liquids, pretty useful for the Duke Fishron fight, fishing,
and in general to not have to deal with the pain of trying to exit a liquid
while slowed down like hell (looking at you Honey).
Oh, did I mention that landing on any liquid nullifies fall damage?
Amphibian doesn't even have any liquid related ability, making Terraspark the winner.
Swimming in wa- HANG ON A SEC,
Amphibian does not have any liquid related ability!
Then why is it called Amphibian boots?
Was Re-logic drunk on Blinkroot while making this item?
(no offense meant, it's just a joke. Hope it's not too offensive)
Amphibian loses from the start here.
Immunity to Fire Blocks
Grants immunity to the Burning debuff caused by Meteorite and Hellstone
Trust me, losing 50 HP per second is absolutely no joke, even in Hardmode
Terraspark is the undiscussed winner of this one
Amphibian doesn't have anything close to immunity to fire blocks
Amphibian loses before it even got a chance to fight
7 seconds of Immunity from Lava
This one speaks for itself, pretty useful if you constantly get knocked in the Lava
Though by the time you obtain Terraspark you would be able
to craft plenty of Obsidian skin potions.
Still, not having to carry them around can be nice
Terraspark continues it's winning streak
As already stated two rows above,
Amphibian doesn't have any liquid related ability.
Amphibian continues its losing streak
Reduced damage from lava
Pretty nice if you continuosly get knocked in Lava
Or if you are submerged by so much Lava
that it will take more than 7 seconds to traverse it
Terraspark wins once again
No Liquid related ability means no Lava damage reduction
Amphibian loses from the very start
Terraspark is the winner here, though Amphibian is superior in some areas Amphibian loses here, though it is still superior in some areas to Terraspark
You have forgotten that the increased jump height works on wings. It essentially gives every pair of wings in the game increased ascent speed. Fire block and liquid immunity are also made irrelevant once you realize that the obsidian skin potion is extremely cheap and actually does the job better. Not to mention that there is absolutely no way you're going to fall in liquids and that you can get amphibian boots ridiculously fast compared to terraspark. Your comparison is true on paper, but in hardmode you are never going to drown in a liquid and if you are about to fall in one you can literally just hold space and be fine. In fact, amphibian boots help with that situation by boosting your upward acceleration. If you can think of a single function of the terraspark boots which is both relevant at all points of the game like the Frog Leg effect is and isn't completely replaced by wings, be my guest. But I'm not going to waste time on a set of boots which completely falls off the moment hardmode starts opposed to one which takes 10% the time to get and will still be useful until I get the Soaring Insignia from the Empress. Seriously, immunity to fire blocks, reduced damage/immunity to lava, liquid walking, and 0.7 seconds of flight time combined don't compare to the Frog Leg. I can just use a water walking potion for Duke Fishron and use that accessory slot for actually helpful mobility and damage instead of wasting hours of my life on an item that isn't even that helpful and easily replaced.

TL;DR An effect which serves you incredibly well until very late in the game (Post-plantera) is objectively better than a bunch of tiny effects which you can easily get with other methods without even consuming an accessory slot and are never useful again as soon as the wall of flesh dies. You shouldn't say an item is more useful just because it's flashy and has a longer tooltip. By that logic, the Molten Skull Rose is stronger than the Shark Tooth Necklace.

Sorry, but there is no way you're convincing me that an accessory which allows me to trivialize Duke Fishron at the start of hardmode is worse than one which has basically no advantage at all in that fight as you can just easily use Water Walking Potions anyway and save both your time and your accessory slots.

Last edited:
You have forgotten that the increased jump height works on wings. It essentially gives every pair of wings in the game increased ascent speed.
It is a direct speed boost, 48% to be exact, in exchange for the loss of the jump boost. However Terraspark (and by extension all boots, with the exception of Amphibian, which count as Frog Leg accesory) grant 0.7 seconds bonus flight time (that you already stated), which is a 166% increase for Fledgling wings (the pre-hardmode wings), a 41% increase for the first tier of Wings (not counting Fledling) and a 23% increase for the Lunar wings.
Fire block and liquid immunity are also made irrelevant once you realize that the obsidian skin potion is extremely cheap and actually does the job better.
Ironic, since Obsidian Skin only protects you from Lava, not from being cooked by Meteorite and Hellstone. And also how does a potion, with limited duration, do better than an accessory with unlimited duration? Lava is meant to be a costant danger, unlike Meteorite and Hellstone which are meant to be only a challenge to overcome, not a costant danger (even though Meteorite keeps landing even in Hardmode, and it can still cook you if you aren't careful). While you only get 7 seconds of lava immunity, you get it from lava wader line, which also grants you the ability to walk on liquids.
Not to mention that there is absolutely no way you're going to fall in liquids and that you can get amphibian boots ridiculously fast compared to terraspark.
You're telling me that liquids out of sudden stop existing in Hardmode? Because I still see plenty of ways you could fall in a liquid during Hardmode, especially Early Hardmode. Yes you are able to get Amphibian Boots faster, but that only reinforces my point that Terraspark is better than Amphibian.
Your comparison is true on paper, but in hardmode you are never going to drown in a liquid and if you are about to fall in one you can literally just hold space and be fine.
Ever heard of being constantly attacked by enemies? 'Cause I have, and that happens even in Pre-Hardmode. You can still fall in liquids pretty easily even in Hardmode, especially if you're not paying attention. Unless you get REALLY bad luck and fall in an extremely deep liquid and get ganged by a ton of water enemies, you will never drown in Hardmode, that's sure.
In fact, amphibian boots help with that situation by boosting your upward acceleration.
True, but the same applies to Terraspark by increasing the Flight time.
If you can think of a single function of the terraspark boots which is both relevant at all points of the game like the Frog Leg effect is and isn't completely replaced by wings, be my guest.
High Running top speed: you aren't going to always be in the air, especially not during the Solar Pillar fight, and those guys are FAST. Being able to walk on liquids: being able to attack enemies that have fallen in a liquid while remaining at a safe distance is always nice, or when you're running away from something and in the direction you're running there is a liquid. Taking less damage from Lava is also useful, especially for Melee, because even just touching Lava hits pretty hard (80 damge per hit!). The Immunity from Fire Blocks becomes less useful in Hardmode, since you aren't going to mine Hellstone anymore and you can just fly over Meteorite, but you might still fall on Meteorite while fighting, and avoiding a 50 damage per second debuff is pretty nice. And it also actually looks cool.
But I'm not going to waste time on a set of boots which completely falls off the moment hardmode starts opposed to one which takes 10% the time to get and will still be useful until I get the Soaring Insignia from the Empress.
As already stated above, Terraspark stays strong trough Hardmode, though a bit less than Pre-Hardmode (but that's to be expected from any Pre-Hardmode equipment). Also where did you take that 10% from? Do you realize that both crafting components can ONLY be obtained from fishing, which means that you have to hope that RNGesus blesses you with those two items, and that he does not instead give you literally anything else, as it happened to me while fishing for the Aglet. Terraspark has WAY less randomness than Amphibian: even if your world doesn't have an Aglet and a Lava Charm in a chest (the latter is pretty unlikely as in 1.4.1, as its chance to be found was doubled), you can easily fish for them both as the Aglet is found in Wodden Crates, which are common, and the Lava Charm is found in Obsidian crates with a 1/20 chance (to put that in perspective, it's the same rate for the two pet objects, and those ain't rare). Though I can't disagree with your second point, it is useful until you get Soaring Insignia, which is literally the Ultimate Accesory for wings, but it is an expert mode exclusive item, and I'm fairly sure that most play on Normal Mode Worlds.
Seriously, immunity to fire blocks, reduced damage/immunity to lava, liquid walking, and 0.7 seconds of flight time combined don't compare to the Frog Leg. I can just use a water walking potion for Duke Fishron and use that accessory slot for actually helpful mobility and damage instead of wasting hours of my life on an item that isn't even that helpful and easily replaced.
OK, now you're just straight up WRONG, because if that was true Frog Leg would be the Reaver Shark of mobility, which clearly it isn't, as it would have been nerfed the same way as Reaver was. Yes, you could use a water walking potion for that, but what happens if it runs out mid-fight? Duke Fishron will hit you, and while that's not the end of the world it's certaintly not good. Also Terraspark is OP and balance-breaking, not my words, but Redigit's ones. If the Lead Developer of the game thinks they're quote: "TerraSparks are already OP in my books" that means they're Overpowered, or at the very least, extremely powerful, not useless.
TL;DR An effect which serves you incredibly well with high accessibility until very late in the game (Post-plantera) is objectively better than a bunch of tiny effects which you can easily get with other methods without even consuming an accessory slot and are never useful again as soon as the wall of flesh dies.
TL;DR An effect which RNGesus has to bless you for which is also obtainable at the start of the game, which already makes it weaker than Terraspark, which is pre-WoF, due to balance, that serves you well until the very end is objectively better than an acessory whose effects, by itself, are surpassed by the other or outright replaced, and the only thing that isn't improved is auto-jump which is frankly useless, and is also stated to be OP by the main developer.
You shouldn't say an item is more useful just because it's flashy and has a longer tooltip. By that logic, the Molten Skull Rose is stronger than the Shark Tooth Necklace.
Ironically, Molten Skull Rose IS stronger than Shark Tooth Necklace for Melee, and let me show you why: MSR grants less damage taken from lava, grants immunity to Fire blocks and allows Melee weapons to inflict Hellfire, which deals 15 Damage per Second. Meanwhile what does Shark Tooth Necklace do? Increases armor penetration by 5, which is useful, mainly in high fire rate weapons. MSR is sligtly better at boosting Melee damage than STN does. Also I ain't following some absurd logic that flashy item with long tooltips are stronger than those who do not. Going by that logic Revengeance (hope I wrote it correctly) from Calamity is stronger than items dropped by the final boss of that mod, it's the complete opposite actually as it makes your life harder, not easier.
Sorry, but there is no way you're convincing me that an accessory which allows me to trivialize Duke Fishron at the start of hardmode is worse than one which has basically no advantage at all in that fight as you can just easily use Water Walking Potions anyway and save both your time and your accessory slots.
Sorry, but Terraspark has way more advantages than Amphibian, and using them instead of Amphibian is a better use of the slot. You simply can't convince me otherwise.

It is a direct speed boost, 48% to be exact, in exchange for the loss of the jump boost. However Terraspark (and by extension all boots, with the exception of Amphibian, which count as Frog Leg accesory) grant 0.7 seconds bonus flight time (that you already stated), which is a 166% increase for Fledgling wings (the pre-hardmode wings), a 41% increase for the first tier of Wings (not counting Fledling) and a 23% increase for the Lunar wings.
Speed is what lets you dodge boss attacks. Not air time. There's a reason people use the Shield of Cthulhu.
Ironic, since Obsidian Skin only protects you from Lava, not from being cooked by Meteorite and Hellstone. And also how does a potion, with limited duration, do better than an accessory with unlimited duration? Lava is meant to be a costant danger, unlike Meteorite and Hellstone which are meant to be only a challenge to overcome, not a costant danger (even though Meteorite keeps landing even in Hardmode, and it can still cook you if you aren't careful). While you only get 7 seconds of lava immunity, you get it from lava wader line, which also grants you the ability to walk on liquids.
The accessory has 14 seconds of duration (before you ask, lava waders improve the effect when you craft them) while the potion has 6 minutes. That is more time than you'll ever need to spend mining hellstone. Also you clearly haven't bothered testing the potion because it actually does protect against fire blocks. It also makes you immune to the On Fire! debuff like molten armor does. Check the wiki.
You're telling me that liquids out of sudden stop existing in Hardmode? Because I still see plenty of ways you could fall in a liquid during Hardmode, especially Early Hardmode. Yes you are able to get Amphibian Boots faster, but that only reinforces my point that Terraspark is better than Amphibian.
I'm telling you that if you're drowning in liquids when you have wings you seriously need to stop falling asleep during your honey bath. There is no way that they will ever pose a danger to you and you also never need to go to the lava layer again once hardmode starts. There is no new loot there besides the Unholy Trident which isn't even a popular or particularly strong weapon to begin with.
As already stated above, Terraspark stays strong trough Hardmode, though a bit less than Pre-Hardmode (but that's to be expected from any Pre-Hardmode equipment). Also where did you take that 10% from? Do you realize that both crafting components can ONLY be obtained from fishing, which means that you have to hope that RNGesus blesses you with those two items, and that he does not instead give you literally anything else, as it happened to me while fishing for the Aglet. Terraspark has WAY less randomness than Amphibian: even if your world doesn't have an Aglet and a Lava Charm in a chest (the latter is pretty unlikely as in 1.4.1, as its chance to be found was doubled), you can easily fish for them both as the Aglet is found in Wodden Crates, which are common, and the Lava Charm is found in Obsidian crates with a 1/20 chance (to put that in perspective, it's the same rate for the two pet objects, and those ain't rare). Though I can't disagree with your second point, it is useful until you get Soaring Insignia, which is literally the Ultimate Accesory for wings, but it is an expert mode exclusive item, and I'm fairly sure that most play on Normal Mode Worlds.
Lava Charm, Water Walking Boots, and the Obsidian Rose are all far more rare than every component of the Amphibian boots combined. In most worlds the only feasible way to obtain the former two is through fishing. And again, they are both rarer than both parts combined. Also, why are you in the lava layer in hardmode, there is nothing there that is even powerful anymore.
High Running top speed: you aren't going to always be in the air, especially not during the Solar Pillar fight, and those guys are FAST. Being able to walk on liquids: being able to attack enemies that have fallen in a liquid while remaining at a safe distance is always nice, or when you're running away from something and in the direction you're running there is a liquid. Taking less damage from Lava is also useful, especially for Melee, because even just touching Lava hits pretty hard (80 damge per hit!). The Immunity from Fire Blocks becomes less useful in Hardmode, since you aren't going to mine Hellstone anymore and you can just fly over Meteorite, but you might still fall on Meteorite while fighting, and avoiding a 50 damage per second debuff is pretty nice. And it also actually looks cool.
4 miles per hour is inconsequential. Acceleration is also inconsequential because by that point you'll have the Tabi or at least the Shield of Cthulhu. Use a summon weapon alongside your main one if you're having trouble keeping things off you while mining.
OK, now you're just straight up WRONG, because if that was true Frog Leg would be the Reaver Shark of mobility, which clearly it isn't, as it would have been nerfed the same way as Reaver was. Yes, you could use a water walking potion for that, but what happens if it runs out mid-fight? Duke Fishron will hit you, and while that's not the end of the world it's certaintly not good. Also Terraspark is OP and balance-breaking, not my words, but Redigit's ones. If the Lead Developer of the game thinks they're quote: "TerraSparks are already OP in my books" that means they're Overpowered, or at the very least, extremely powerful, not useless.
Red also buffed the Dart Guns when they were already considered S tier and proceeded to turn them into utter monsters that shredded everything. Even Leinfors agreed that something had to be done about them. Red doesn't know what he's talking about, that's why he handed most balancing work to Leinfors.

Also, water walking potions last for 10 minutes. Even in Master Mode that fight doesn't take 10 minutes even if you fight him the moment hardmode starts.
TL;DR An effect which RNGesus has to bless you for which is also obtainable at the start of the game, which already makes it weaker than Terraspark, which is pre-WoF, due to balance, that serves you well until the very end is objectively better than an acessory whose effects, by itself, are surpassed by the other or outright replaced, and the only thing that isn't improved is auto-jump which is frankly useless, and is also stated to be OP by the main developer.
First off, RNG just has to mildly glance at you for both of them, as opposed to the Terraspark boots which require borderline divine intervention to obtain three of it's core components. Auto-jump isn't useless because it's a vertical change of direction that completely recovers your flight time. Can you think of anything else in the game that can do that? Also, it's funny you say that the effects are surpassed or outright replaced because that's exactly what the terraspark boots are.
Ironically, Molten Skull Rose IS stronger than Shark Tooth Necklace for Melee, and let me show you why: MSR grants less damage taken from lava, grants immunity to Fire blocks and allows Melee weapons to inflict Hellfire, which deals 15 Damage per Second. Meanwhile what does Shark Tooth Necklace do? Increases armor penetration by 5, which is useful, mainly in high fire rate weapons. MSR is sligtly better at boosting Melee damage than STN does. Also I ain't following some absurd logic that flashy item with long tooltips are stronger than those who do not. Going by that logic Revengeance (hope I wrote it correctly) from Calamity is stronger than items dropped by the final boss of that mod, it's the complete opposite actually as it makes your life harder, not easier.
As a borderline omni-class player that simply doesn't apply to me.
Sorry, but Terraspark has way more advantages than Amphibian, and using them instead of Amphibian is a better use of the slot. You simply can't convince me otherwise.
Then we're at a bit of a stalemate, aren't we? I constantly have all the alchemy herbs I need because I build greenhouses, and the ingredients for both water walking potions and obsidian skin potions are both incredibly easy to get and completely renewable, so I don't even need to fill an accessory slot to receive the benefit of the effects you're clinging to. Again, 4 mph is a negligible difference, Ice Skates pretect you from something that was a non-issue to begin with, Air Speed is more helpful than Air Time, and every other effect of the Terraspark Boots are done better by potions which require no RNG or effort to obtain.

Last edited:
Speed is what lets you dodge boss attacks. Not air time. There's a reason people use the Shield of Cthulhu.
Only ascent speed is increased, and I'm sure most Hardmode bosses require horizontal movement aswell. And more flight time means more horizontal movement.
The accessory has 14 seconds of duration (before you ask, lava waders improve the effect when you craft them) while the potion has 6 minutes. That is more time than you'll ever need to spend mining hellstone. Also you clearly haven't bothered testing the potion because it actually does protect against fire blocks. It also makes you immune to the On Fire! debuff like molten armor does. Check the wiki.
Where the hell did you take that from? Even Obsidian Skull has infinite immunity to Fire blocks. Though you're right on the second one, it was pretty late in the night and I didn't read the wiki correctly.
I'm telling you that if you're drowning in liquids when you have wings you seriously need to stop falling asleep during your honey bath. There is no way that they will ever pose a danger to you and you also never need to go to the lava layer again once hardmode starts. There is no new loot there besides the Unholy Trident which isn't even a popular or particularly strong weapon to begin with.
And I've told you that you can still fall in liquids relatively easily, not drown. Oh, and I don't really use Honey to bathe. Yea, there isn't really a need to go to the Cavern Layer, with the exception being if you're looking for the Beam Sword. But you're still going to go in the Underworld, and that is Lavafest.
Lava Charm, Water Walking Boots, and the Obsidian Rose are all far more rare than every component of the Amphibian boots combined. In most worlds the only feasible way to obtain the former two is through fishing. And again, they are both rarer than both parts combined. Also, why are you in the lava layer in hardmode, there is nothing there that is even powerful anymore.
Terraspark is Pre-Hardmode, so I'm in the Lava layer in pre-hardmode, not Harmode. Also also, Obsidian Rose isn't that rare since you're going to get it by the Imps that constantly spawn either when you're building the bridge for WoF, or when you're just traversing the Underworld. So, you are telling me that Lava Charm and Water Walking Boots, which can be both found in chests, alongside fishing, are rarer than two items that can ONLY be obtained from fishing? Yea no. Also as I already said Lava Charm is way more common in 1.4.1, and 10% to get water walking boots from water chests is even less rare than Lava Charm.
4 miles per hour is inconsequential. Acceleration is also inconsequential because by that point you'll have the Tabi or at least the Shield of Cthulhu. Use a summon weapon alongside your main one if you're having trouble keeping things off you while mining.
Tabi is Post-Plantera and Shield of Chutulu is Expert mode exclusive. Also 4 miles per hours isn't inconsequential, as it is a 13% increase in speed without modifier. Where did I mention mining? Because there are fast enemies even at the Surface in hardmode.
Red also buffed the Dart Guns when they were already considered S tier and proceeded to turn them into utter monsters that shredded everything. Even Leinfors agreed that something had to be done about them. Red doesn't know what he's talking about, that's why he handed most balancing work to Leinfors.

Also, water walking potions last for 10 minutes. Even in Master Mode that fight doesn't take 10 minutes even if you fight him the moment hardmode starts.
Or maybe, ya know, he doesn't have the time to do the balancing, since he's the main developer of the whole game? People can't do everything at once, and this why Leinfors is the one who does the balancing. Also also, you make Leinfors look he did nothing wrong, even though not only he had to know about every addition to see if they fit the game balance-wise, he also had to test them to make sure they werent too powerful. That means that the fact that the Dart Guns became OP is also partly Leinfors' responibility. BTW, you only gave one expample of this so called "balancing incompetence", which isn't enough. Yea, I agree that was quite the strech from my part. Still, it's nice to not have to drink a potion everytime it runs out.
First off, RNG just has to mildly glance at you for both of them, as opposed to the Terraspark boots which require borderline divine intervention to obtain three of it's core components. Auto-jump isn't useless because it's a vertical change of direction that completely recovers your flight time. Can you think of anything else in the game that can do that? Also, it's funny you say that the effects are surpassed or outright replaced because that's exactly what the terraspark boots are.
If Terraspark requires "Divine Intervention" to obtain 3 of its components, then Amphibian requires Universal Intervention just to be able to have a REMOTE chance to get one of its components.
Since you appear to think that Terraspark is rare as hell, let me tear that opinion piece by piece: I'm going to list each component separately: Running Boots, there are 4 variants of them, you can't not have one of the variants unless you have horrible luck; Rocket Boots, this isn't even remotely hard to get, you literally just buy them from the Goblin Tinkerer; Aglet, can be found in Surface chests or in wodden crates, not much to say here; Anklet of the Wind, can be obtained from Ivy chests and from Jungle crates with a pretty high chance; Ice Skates, can be found in Frozen Chests and Ice Crates with a pretty good chance; Obsidian Skull, Obsidian is pretty rare naturally, because Obsidian is formed when Lava meets Water (Hang on, didn't Lava on Water make Cobblestone? Oh wait this is Terraria not Minecraft), which is meant to be done by the Player, and 2 buckets of Lava easily give you 20 Obsidian, so Obsidian Skull isn't too much of a rarity; Water Walking Boots, found in Water Chests and in Ocean Crates, with a pretty good chance too; Lava Charm, found in Lava layer Gold Chests and in Underworld Crates, rarer than the other items talked about, but its function makes up for it; Obsidian Rose, as I already stated, you're bound to get one eventually when you're traversing the Underworld.

Now let's see the Amphibian Components: Sailfish Boots, obtained ONLY in Crates, with either a 2,5% chance in Wodden Crates, or a 4,26% chance in Iron Crates; Frog leg, obtained from fishing with a 0.4% chance with 100 fishing power, which you won't have most of the time.

VERDICT: Terraspark, while it relies on RNG (as literally almost everything else in the game), has a sligtly higher chance to be obtained than Amphibian.

Also also, unless your fingers hurt, you can easily just press the jump button again after landing, frame perfect inputs aren't essential for Terraria. Auto-Jump is useless from the moment you start the game.
As a borderline omni-class player that simply doesn't apply to me.
As a Mage-Ranger, I still can't figure out the reasoning behind this statement. There was NEVER a mention that MSR is stronger than STN for you. You never mentioned anyone, so that means that the statement applies in general, and I pointed out why MSR is stronger than STN for Melee, as the other classes tend to stand back and snipe the enemy (or wacht the enemy being torn apart by your minions in the case of Summoners).
Then we're at a bit of a stalemate, aren't we? I constantly have all the alchemy herbs I need because I build greenhouses, and the ingredients for both water walking potions and obsidian skin potions are both incredibly easy to get and completely renewable, so I don't even need to fill an accessory slot to receive the benefit of the effects you're clinging to. Again, 4 mph is a negligible difference, Ice Skates pretect you from something that was a non-issue to begin with, Air Speed is more helpful than Air Time, and every other effect of the Terraspark Boots are done better by potions which require no RNG or effort to obtain.
What if I don't build a greenhouse? What if I don't bother to build an alchemy plants farm? Then I won't have test big of a supply of the plants. Swiftness potion doesn't work while using any Sprinting Accesory, which Amphibian is part of, Water Walking doesn't have Infinite duration, there is no potion that I'm aware of that boosts your mobility on Ice, no potion that reduces damage by touching Lava (Obsidian Skin kinda does that by negating Damage entirely). 4 MPH is pretty good, since that'll buy some extra time, at least, before the enemy reaches you. I never mentioned Ice Skates (except when I listed the components of Terraspark) because other than boosting your speed on ice (which isn't going to happen a lot) they only prevent you from breaking Thin Ice by falling, which isn't that useful since breaking Thin Ice by falling doesn't cause fall damage. Air time is more useful than Air Ascent speed (forgot a word there) in cramped spaces such as, I don't know, the Underground, which is were the Plantera fight happens. It's even worse for the Golem fight, since the room is small. As I already stated, potions not only require herbs, but also usually don't do a better job than Terraspark.

Unfortunately for you I've pressed the Stalemate Resolution Button from the start, and it gave the victory to me. Admit it, Terraspark is better than Amphibian, and not only because Terraspark looks cooler than Amphibian.

I'm not sure if the Terraspark Boots VS. Ampibian Boots even on-topic of the main post... XD but

(Since 1.4) I usually try to get Terraspark boots, but aware of the Frog leg's awesomeness, also got the Frog gear besides it, at first. Then reading on the forums, some pointed out that, out of the 2 frog leg derivates, Amphibian boots is better. Because, most of the abilities the frog gear gives are negligable in hardmode (except the frog leg's initial abilities, which are awesome) So, then I said, "Next time, I will try Amphibian Boots instead"

And on the other playthrough, several of the terraspar boots' components were missing from the world (like aglet, ice skates, water walking boots, lava charm, etc.) - you can get them from fishing, and you certainly will fish, if you want the amphibian boots, but RNG wasn't too friendly on those. Wooden/Pearlwood Crates are a plentiful catch so you can easily catch tons of them, so getting the sailfish boots is usually not that difficult. Frog leg do needs lots of luck with RNG, but still.

Anyway, point being, on that playthrough, I tried out using amphibian boots and no terraspark boots. Amphibian boots are awesome. the 4mph difference in speed is completely negligable, and Amphibian boost wings a real lot. When you have wings (and a grappling hook), falling into water rarely matters much. Sure, lava is dangerous, but you won't necessarily go there that often.

But, there might be another option... "Why not both?"
On the current playthrough, I crafted both Terraspark and Amphibian boots and had both equipped. (I suppose the player has two feet, so... though you might would look silly having different shoes on each foot XD)
I think Amphibian will take away that +4mph from Terraspark when you have both, but gives you that awesome boots on jump and wings later.
To begin with, having both, turned the fledgling wings into something similar to angel wings (still awful in comparison to better wings, but awesome pre-hardmode)

Anyway, when we compare them, Terraspark is more for adventures. When you walk around a lot, you can encounter water, lava, rarely even fire blocks, etc. when it is quite useful.
However many of its abilities are quite niche (like not breaking thin ice) which are very useful when you're in the biome where that might cause a problem, but completely useless otherwise.
In "tamed" areas like around your base, or (most) boss arenas, there will be usually no ice, thin ice, lava, fire blocks, etc. there might be a normal lake, but you probably built a platform bridge over it quite early game.
So, anyway, my opinion is, Terraspark is useful when adventuring, but unnecessary for boss fights, etc. where Amphibian boots would be a lot more useful with its awesome boost on wings, and extremely fast running speed (that+4mph makes negligable difference).
But if you can spare an accessory slot, might as well have both XD

Only ascent speed is increased, and I'm sure most Hardmode bosses require horizontal movement aswell. And more flight time means more horizontal movement.
Uh, no? Gliding still gives you that, and even then it doesn't really matter because accessories/armors with dashing exist. Unless you're just kiting bosses being able to change direction quickly is more important.
Where the hell did you take that from? Even Obsidian Skull has infinite immunity to Fire blocks. Though you're right on the second one, it was pretty late in the night and I didn't read the wiki correctly.
Exactly 3 blocks in the game are fire blocks. You don't even have to worry about touching them once hardmode hits because explosives gain the ability to destroy them at that point anyway. Plus, 6 minutes is all you need for hellstone. It's incredibly common.
And I've told you that you can still fall in liquids relatively easily, not drown. Oh, and I don't really use Honey to bathe. Yea, there isn't really a need to go to the Cavern Layer, with the exception being if you're looking for the Beam Sword. But you're still going to go in the Underworld, and that is Lavafest.
If you aren't drowning or fighting a boss, falling in a liquid isn't a disadvantage. Everything moves slower and gives you more time to react, and most flying enemies can't even get below the surface unless they phase through blocks anyway. Also there is literally no reason to go to the underworld in hardmode.
Tabi is Post-Plantera and Shield of Chutulu is Expert mode exclusive. Also 4 miles per hours isn't inconsequential, as it is a 13% increase in speed without modifier. Where did I mention mining? Because there are fast enemies even at the Surface in hardmode.
Are you kiting everything or something? Because there is no way that you are taking so long to kill everything that 4 miles per hour is going to matter, especially if you're playing Classic/Normal mode. And also I was disproving your example (solar pillar) which was literally right at the end of the game. Also, Crystal Assassin armor exists, and I think you're seriously underestimating how popular expert mode has gotten by this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually more common for the people on these forums to default to it rather than normal.
If Terraspark requires "Divine Intervention" to obtain 3 of its components, then Amphibian requires Universal Intervention just to be able to have a REMOTE chance to get one of its components.
Since you appear to think that Terraspark is rare as hell, let me tear that opinion piece by piece: I'm going to list each component separately: Running Boots, there are 4 variants of them, you can't not have one of the variants unless you have horrible luck; Rocket Boots, this isn't even remotely hard to get, you literally just buy them from the Goblin Tinkerer; Aglet, can be found in Surface chests or in wodden crates, not much to say here; Anklet of the Wind, can be obtained from Ivy chests and from Jungle crates with a pretty high chance; Ice Skates, can be found in Frozen Chests and Ice Crates with a pretty good chance; Obsidian Skull, Obsidian is pretty rare naturally, because Obsidian is formed when Lava meets Water (Hang on, didn't Lava on Water make Cobblestone? Oh wait this is Terraria not Minecraft), which is meant to be done by the Player, and 2 buckets of Lava easily give you 20 Obsidian, so Obsidian Skull isn't too much of a rarity; Water Walking Boots, found in Water Chests and in Ocean Crates, with a pretty good chance too; Lava Charm, found in Lava layer Gold Chests and in Underworld Crates, rarer than the other items talked about, but its function makes up for it; Obsidian Rose, as I already stated, you're bound to get one eventually when you're traversing the Underworld.

Now let's see the Amphibian Components: Sailfish Boots, obtained ONLY in Crates, with either a 2,5% chance in Wodden Crates, or a 4,26% chance in Iron Crates; Frog leg, obtained from fishing with a 0.4% chance with 100 fishing power, which you won't have most of the time.

VERDICT: Terraspark, while it relies on RNG (as literally almost everything else in the game), has a sligtly higher chance to be obtained than Amphibian.

Also also, unless your fingers hurt, you can easily just press the jump button again after landing, frame perfect inputs aren't essential for Terraria. Auto-Jump is useless from the moment you
It's cute you think that it's a common occurence to find 5 water chests in a playthrough, let alone 10. Seriously, there's only 3 in the ocean at most, and that's with ridiculous RNG I haven't even seen since before 1.3.5, and they're also incredibly rare everywhere else. Biome Crates aren't exactly common either, being only one step below gold crates at best. The Obsidian rose is also a rare drop from an enemy which isn't exactly common (fire imps are almost always unavailable due to the game favoring other spawns, I literally only encountered 10 in my full hour of lava fishing while I was constantly dealing with lava slimes and hellbats.) Also, now that I've mentioned lava fishing, it takes so much longer than other forms of fishing that even I started to lose patience, and I'm the guy who fishes even more than they mine. Unless you're world hopping that combination isn't happening.

Meanwhile, the ingredients for amphibian boots can be obtained literally anywhere without having to go out of your way AT ALL. You can grind for all of the components at the same time, without them even having to be the main focus of what you're doing, which is a saving grace that most of the terraspark components can't even begin to fathom.

And if you've ever tried to use the Ice Rod for infinite flight, you know getting the timing down isn't that easy. Before you say that's useless, remember that it can completely block some of the Dreadnautilus' attacks and that it's hilarious against projectiles which can't hit through blocks in general.
As a Mage-Ranger, I still can't figure out the reasoning behind this statement. There was NEVER a mention that MSR is stronger than STN for you. You never mentioned anyone, so that means that the statement applies in general, and I pointed out why MSR is stronger than STN for Melee, as the other classes tend to stand back and snipe the enemy (or wacht the enemy being torn apart by your minions in the case of Summoners).
I fail to see how the original statement was ironic, then. Being better than something in an extremely niche case isn't exactly disproving anything.
What if I don't build a greenhouse? What if I don't bother to build an alchemy plants farm? Then I won't have test big of a supply of the plants. Swiftness potion doesn't work while using any Sprinting Accesory, which Amphibian is part of, Water Walking doesn't have Infinite duration, there is no potion that I'm aware of that boosts your mobility on Ice, no potion that reduces damage by touching Lava (Obsidian Skin kinda does that by negating Damage entirely). 4 MPH is pretty good, since that'll buy some extra time, at least, before the enemy reaches you. I never mentioned Ice Skates (except when I listed the components of Terraspark) because other than boosting your speed on ice (which isn't going to happen a lot) they only prevent you from breaking Thin Ice by falling, which isn't that useful since breaking Thin Ice by falling doesn't cause fall damage. Air time is more useful than Air Ascent speed (forgot a word there) in cramped spaces such as, I don't know, the Underground, which is were the Plantera fight happens. It's even worse for the Golem fight, since the room is small. As I already stated, potions not only require herbs, but also usually don't do a better job than Terraspark.
You ever build boss arenas by your base? You can use planter boxes instead of platforms, you know. In fact, it's probably better to as smart cursor works much more effectively with them than with platforms and lava slimes can't damage them. You can just waltz in every few ingame days and harvest the plants, and in fact you don't even need to do it often. I didn't start diligently using one until post-mechs in my playthrough and I always had enough ingredients for what I needed. If for whatever reason you can't afford them than just cook any critter and sell it. You get 20 per critter that way, and that's assuming you aren't even thinking about happiness.

Water walking potions don't need infinite duration. There is no situation in which they are both actually useful and need duration for more than the 10 minutes they provide (the only situations where you NEED water walking being Wall of Flesh without an arena and Duke Fishron.) Improving mobility on Ice literally means nothing in almost any situation unless you build an arena specifically designed around it, and even that's stretching as there aren't any platform-like blocks without ice physics. 4 MPH makes such a little difference that by the time the difference matters you were either not shooting the enemy at all or just brainlessly kiting a boss. 6 minutes of complete lava immunity is objectively better than 14 seconds which doesn't even recover quickly, especially when underworld pots dump a ridiculous amount of Obsidian Skin potions on you for literally free.

Air Time would be more useful than Ascent Speed in cramped spaces... if this little class of equipables didn't exist and do the job better, again without eating up an accessory slot:
1603924223086.png

These things shine most in cramped spaces, in fact. you can just grapple any block and then press space, and then boom, air time fully recovered. One of them doesn't even move you in an unexpected direction, and it's range is particularly good to boot, meaning you don't even have to change your mouse's position.
Unfortunately for you I've pressed the Stalemate Resolution Button from the start, and it gave the victory to me. Admit it, Terraspark is better than Amphibian, and not only because Terraspark looks cooler than Amphibian.
I'm not going to admit something is better when I have far cheaper alternatives which can do everything that item can do, but better. Terraspark boots weren't what allowed me to nohit bosses. That honor goes to the Amphibian boots.

Last edited:
Uh, no? Gliding still gives you that, and even then it doesn't really matter because accessories/armors with dashing exist. Unless you're just kiting bosses being able to change direction quickly is more important.

Exactly 3 blocks in the game are fire blocks. You don't even have to worry about touching them once hardmode hits because explosives gain the ability to destroy them at that point anyway. Plus, 6 minutes is all you need for hellstone. It's incredibly common.

If you aren't drowning or fighting a boss, falling in a liquid isn't a disadvantage. Everything moves slower and gives you more time to react, and most flying enemies can't even get below the surface unless they phase through blocks anyway. Also there is literally no reason to go to the underworld in hardmode.

Are you kiting everything or something? Because there is no way that you are taking so long to kill everything that 4 miles per hour is going to matter, especially if you're playing Classic/Normal mode. And also I was disproving your example (solar pillar) which was literally right at the end of the game. Also, Crystal Assassin armor exists, and I think you're seriously underestimating how popular expert mode has gotten by this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually more common for the people on these forums to default to it rather than normal.

It's cute you think that it's a common occurence to find 5 water chests in a playthrough, let alone 10. Seriously, there's only 3 in the ocean at most, and that's with ridiculous RNG I haven't even seen since before 1.3.5, and they're also incredibly rare everywhere else. Biome Crates aren't exactly common either, being only one step below gold crates at best. The Obsidian rose is also a rare drop from an enemy which isn't exactly common (fire imps are almost always unavailable due to the game favoring other spawns, I literally only encountered 10 in my full hour of lava fishing while I was constantly dealing with lava slimes and hellbats.) Also, now that I've mentioned lava fishing, it takes so much longer than other forms of fishing that even I started to lose patience, and I'm the guy who fishes even more than they mine. Unless you're world hopping that combination isn't happening.

Meanwhile, the ingredients for amphibian boots can be obtained literally anywhere without having to go out of your way AT ALL. You can grind for all of the components at the same time, without them even having to be the main focus of what you're doing, which is a saving grace that most of the terraspark components can't even begin to fathom.

And if you've ever tried to use the Ice Rod for infinite flight, you know getting the timing down isn't that easy. Before you say that's useless, remember that it can completely block some of the Dreadnautilus' attacks and that it's hilarious against projectiles which can't hit through blocks in general.

I fail to see how the original statement was ironic, then. Being better than something in an extremely niche case isn't exactly disproving anything.

You ever build boss arenas by your base? You can use planter boxes instead of platforms, you know. In fact, it's probably better to as smart cursor works much more effectively with them than with platforms and lava slimes can't damage them. You can just waltz in every few ingame days and harvest the plants, and in fact you don't even need to do it often. I didn't start diligently using one until post-mechs in my playthrough and I always had enough ingredients for what I needed. If for whatever reason you can't afford them than just cook any critter and sell it. You get 20 per critter that way, and that's assuming you aren't even thinking about happiness.

Water walking potions don't need infinite duration. There is no situation in which they are both actually useful and need duration for more than the 10 minutes they provide (the only situations where you NEED water walking being Wall of Flesh without an arena and Duke Fishron.) Improving mobility on Ice literally means nothing in almost any situation unless you build an arena specifically designed around it, and even that's stretching as there aren't any platform-like blocks without ice physics. 4 MPH makes such a little difference that by the time the difference matters you were either not shooting the enemy at all or just brainlessly kiting a boss. 6 minutes of complete lava immunity is objectively better than 14 seconds which doesn't even recover quickly, especially when underworld pots dump a ridiculous amount of Obsidian Skin potions on you for literally free.

Air Time would be more useful than Ascent Speed in cramped spaces... if this little class of equipables didn't exist and do the job better, again without eating up an accessory slot:
View attachment 296271
These things shine most in cramped spaces, in fact. you can just grapple any block and then press space, and then boom, air time fully recovered. One of them doesn't even move you in an unexpected direction, and it's range is particularly good to boot, meaning you don't even have to change your mouse's position.

I'm not going to admit something is better when I have far cheaper alternatives which can do everything that item can do, but better. Terraspark boots weren't what allowed me to nohit bosses. That honor goes to the Amphibian boots.
Another guy already solved our discussion.

Hey folks, a quick reminder that this thread is about adding a new accessory that has abilities like Hero Shield and Ankh Shield, not about which boot is better. The in-depth discussion comparing the boots is great (although getting a bit contentious), but the main topic here needs to be about the suggestion of a new combined accessory.

Another guy already solved our discussion.
Hey folks, a quick reminder that this thread is about adding a new accessory that has abilities like Hero Shield and Ankh Shield, not about which boot is better. The in-depth discussion comparing the boots is great (although getting a bit contentious), but the main topic here needs to be about the suggestion of a new combined accessory.
Understood.

I'm sorry if I was out of line, but I'm still of the opinion that "swiss army knife" items are usually given way too much credit.

Yea sorry.

Back
Top Bottom