PS4 New Controls are Terrible!!!

KillerBee

Terrarian
Huge fan of this game. I have spent countless hours playing, both on ps3 and 4, I couldn't wait for the new version. Was hoping they would fix the controls, and make the menu items not over lap each other. Instead they made it worst, the controls are even harder to work then ever before. I didn't care for the controls to begin with, but you could at least customize them. Why would you take that away? And no longer able to use the D-pad for the cursor? On top of it I lost some items in my equipables. After playing for 5 min confused and frustrated I turned it off. I really hope they take everyone's opinion seriously to fix these issues. Design the controls for console use, not pc. It ruins the game if you can't use the controls comfortably.

I’m in exactly the same boat. 1 button things before are now at least 2 buttons now. The aim cross is now on permanently and I cannot get rid of it. I assign a button and it removes it somewhere else!

It’s not an insult to the hard work put into making this game as good as it is, but can someone at 505 please ‘bite the bullet’ and return the console version of this great game to its previous control system?

Huge fan of this game. I have spent countless hours playing, both on ps3 and 4, I couldn't wait for the new version. Was hoping they would fix the controls, and make the menu items not over lap each other. Instead they made it worst, the controls are even harder to work then ever before. I didn't care for the controls to begin with, but you could at least customize them. Why would you take that away? And no longer able to use the D-pad for the cursor? On top of it I lost some items in my equipables. After playing for 5 min confused and frustrated I turned it off. I really hope they take everyone's opinion seriously to fix these issues. Design the controls for console use, not pc. It ruins the game if you can't use the controls comfortably.
Hi there @KillerBee I may be misunderstanding you. You can customize every single control. The only thing you can’t do is assign two actions to one bind. But you can bind any action to any button - you can even do combos now, such as binding something to LT+Y. So the customization is infinite. I suggest using the Advanced scheme and then customizing it from there.

The D-Pad snap is on DR Studios’ list to talk about, so there may be some changes with that.

I’m in exactly the same boat. 1 button things before are now at least 2 buttons now. The aim cross is now on permanently and I cannot get rid of it. I assign a button and it removes it somewhere else!

It’s not an insult to the hard work put into making this game as good as it is, but can someone at 505 please ‘bite the bullet’ and return the console version of this great game to its previous control system?
Hi @Hollytom, I suggest starting with the Advanced scheme and then customizing it to your liking. That seems to be easier for players.

You should be able to get rid of the manual cursor (the aim cross).

Hi there @KillerBee I may be misunderstanding you. You can customize every single control. The only thing you can’t do is assign two actions to one bind. But you can bind any action to any button - you can even do combos now, such as binding something to LT+Y. So the customization is infinite. I suggest using the Advanced scheme and then customizing it from there.

The D-Pad snap is on DR Studios’ list to talk about, so there may be some changes with that.
No, you're not really misunderstanding I don't think.
The controlls are ridiculous; there are SO many options it makes it too confusing to fix it. I have gone through the control options like 5 times, no exaggeration, and still cant play the game right.
Sure, I'm old. I LOVE this game. But I havent been able to play it since the update. Literally. I havent played it.

No, you're not really misunderstanding I don't think.
The controlls are ridiculous; there are SO many options it makes it too confusing to fix it. I have gone through the control options like 5 times, no exaggeration, and still cant play the game right.
Sure, I'm old. I LOVE this game. But I havent been able to play it since the update. Literally. I havent played it.
Hi there @Stahlgewitter I appreciate your input. :) I see it as a “darned if you do, darned if you don’t” situation. By giving the players ultimate control over the settings, it has made some players extremely happy while others think it’s too much.

If you’re open to suggestions, I recommend setting the controls to the “Classic” scheme and playing a bit with it. Then, after awhile, if you find that you’d rather have an action remapped to a different key, go ahead and change it. Personally, I found it was more difficult to create my own custom settings from scratch, but when I started with a built-in scheme and then tweaked it from there it was much easier.

Hi there @Stahlgewitter I appreciate your input. :) I see it as a “darned if you do, darned if you don’t” situation. By giving the players ultimate control over the settings, it has made some players extremely happy while others think it’s too much.

If you’re open to suggestions, I recommend setting the controls to the “Classic” scheme and playing a bit with it. Then, after awhile, if you find that you’d rather have an action remapped to a different key, go ahead and change it. Personally, I found it was more difficult to create my own custom settings from scratch, but when I started with a built-in scheme and then tweaked it from there it was much easier.
Hi @Unit One! Personally, I think there should be an option to play with the original controls: no combo commands, and more multi-use buttons, as that would both welcome a new player with more customization, and the people who spent a lot of their time playing can still play without having to learn an entirely new style of gameplay.

As for me, maybe I'm just missing something, but the auto cursor makes anything ranged unplayable for me, which sucks as that is my favorite class. I've started to get bored more, since the only weapons I feel I have control over are swords and whips.

This isn't from a hater of the game. I am a big fan of Terraria, and have much respect for the creators. I just would like to have the simplicity of pre 1.4 on all consoles. (I don't usually write replies like this, so sorry if it's clunky to read through.)

So I gave it a real go to find a configuration that would work. I spent hours trying to dial it in, and it still isn't the same. Building one of if not the biggest part of the game is so user unfriendly. Makes it impossible, it takes twice the amount of time that it used to. I feel when they did that big update they treated the controls for P.C. players when it's a console version. I've always loved this game, built awesome worlds. Now I cant build, making the game not worth playing. If you want to upgrade awesome, just leave the option for the old school controls. The "classic controls" option are not the classic controls. I'm sorry to complain, I just loved this game. Now I never play it.

after plenty of experimentation and customizing the controls to my liking my only issues come down to 3 things.

1. the options grid snap is nowhere near as friendly as it used to be. seems like its just a sensitivity issue. (don't know why they added grid snap keybind instead of fixing the options version. keybind doesn't fix the issues with grid snap using analog aim only)

2. map zoom for having the large map open needs to be separate control option from the general gameplay zoom controls so we can set it to L2/R2 to the large map zoom without it conflicting with other keybinds like how it used to be. (control scheme that's only active while that window is open like how inventory controls can use the same buttons as move/aim without conflicts)

3. smart block placement needs a "fill" vs "area" option for block placement. the smart targeting for blocks now places them in the 'area' all around you trapping you in the center. (this is how backwalls smart targeting always worked). it used to be that when placing blocks it would target the space between 2 surfaces and just 'fill' it in. (like turning an L into a solid square)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom