Weapons & Equip New Expert items for Mechanical / Hardmode bosses [Sprites]

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
When I fought the mechanical bosses in Expert mode, I was a little disappointed. Their rewards seem... lacking. The Mechanical Cart is nice, but its use is so niche that it wouldn't have affected my playthrough at all if they hadn't dropped anything. The later bosses sometimes don't drop anything at all!
The other bosses have interesting drops (not saying what, to prevent spoilers). Why can't the mechanical and later bosses have some interesting drops as well? Here's my suggestions!

Note: These sprites are recoloured / edited version of in-game sprites. They should be regarded as inspirational / informational as to how they'd look instead of as a final suggestion. Credit to the artists of ReLogic for the originals. If you'd like to try to clean them up or make new ones, that'd be much appreciated!

Omnigoggles.png
Omnigoggles

Firstly, for the explorers: Omnigoogles, an Expert item for the Twins. As omniscient watchers, they see all and know all. When equipped in an Accessory slot, the Omnigoggles will grant the effects of a permanent Hunter, Dangersense, Shine and Night Owl potions. This will let explorers see their surroundings and dangers better. In multiplayer, the Omnigoggles will also act as a permanent Wormhole potion.
Tooltip: Grants night vision. Lets you see hazards and dangers.
Items already exist to displace some potions: Magic Mirror (Recall Potion); Water Walking Boots (Water Walking Potion); Neptune's Shell (Gills Potion), to name a few. The four aforementioned effects are useful, but not to the point I go out of my way to get them. This will make the effects more useful.
I did not include the Spelunker effects because they're sort of included in things like the Spelunker Glowstick and Metal Detector. While I do like the idea of including the Spelunker effect, I'm not sure how well this would affect the game. If the developers intended for a permanent Spelunker effect, then a newly added item probably would have included it already.

Armour Cladding.png
Armour Cladding
Secondly, for the fighters: Armour Cladding, an Expert item for the Destroyer. The Destroyer is legendary for being immune to all debuffs. And prior to 1.3, it had the most HP of any boss in the game.
When equipped in an Accessory slot, the Armour Cladding will give the following:
  • +7 defence (matches the Flesh Knuckles)
  • 50% chance to resist all debuffs
For debuffs with no immunity items (e.g. Cursed Flames, Ichor, Venom), there is a 50% chance the player can resist them when they're inflicted. This item will have no effect on environmental debuffs (like On Fire! from being in lava, Chilled from icy water or Water Candle) or debuffs from potions (such as Battle Potion or Mana Sickness).
I also considered the Destroyer item giving a HP bonus, but I later chose to assign it to the Lunatic Cultist instead (see below).

Handy Hands.png
Handy Hands (or Skeletal Hands)
Finally, for the builders among us: An extra pair of hands or two! Skeletron Prime, an entity renowned for having four limbs, each performing a different function. What if we could harness such power for ourselves? Think Doc Ock from Spiderman for inspiration.
When equipped in an Accessory slot, the Handy Hands will give the following bonuses:
  • +5 range (for tools - picks, axes, brushes, wrenches, etc.)
  • +25% speed (to mining, building, painting, etc.)
  • +5 pickup range (items, hearts, stars, coins)
The four hands work as follows:
  1. First Hand: Holds the active tool. Since skeletal hands aren't attached to the player's body, they can reach father (range bonus). Since they won't get tired, they can also work faster and harder (speed bonus). The player will still play the tool animation; the hand just indicates the extended range.
  2. Second Hand: This hand helps the player by picking up coins, hearts, mana and items that are just out of reach (pickup range bonus).
  3. Third Hand: Wields a Light's Bane sword (17 damage), and;
  4. Fourth Hand: Wields a Blood Butcher sword (22 damage). These two hands help to keep pests away. They will swing at and attack enemies that venture too close. This will keep annoying enemies like bats, zombies and slimes away so builders can build in peace. Knockback resistant / stronger enemies are still going to continue, so the player isn't completely invulnerable. Compare to the Chlorophyte armour set bonus or a basic summon.
Here is a mockup screenshot:
Mockup.png

Immortality Necklace.png
Immortality Necklace
The Lunatic Cultist has lived for generations, surviving multiple assassination attempts to return and brainwash his followers into summoning the Moon Lord. When killed -- much like the Skull Rings of the Phantom from the comic series -- he will leave behind a token of his own, destined to return later...
When equipped in an Accessory slot, the Immortality Necklace will grant the following:
  • +0.5 HP regeneration (equal to the Celestial Stone)
  • +100 max HP. This will take the player's maximum HP to 600, Effects will stack with a Lifeforce Potion, giving a theoretical maximum of 660 HP. If unequipped, HP will gradually drain back to the user's normal maximum, as it does when the Lifeforce effect runs out.
  • Immortal buff. If struck with a blow that would normally be lethal, there is a 50% chance the wearer will instead be healed for that amount instead. Like the Vampire Knives / Spectre Armour, this healing ability won't work with the Moon Bite debuff.
Example: The player has 50 HP remaining. They are hit with a bullet that inflicts 100 HP damage after defence.
- There is a 50% chance the player will suffer 100 HP damage. He/she will now die as his/her HP is now 0.
- There is a 50% chance the player will be healed for 100 HP, resulting in them having 150 HP
This may seem OP, but you're literally gambling with death to use it. It's more suited to those "oh crap!" moments that catch you by surprise than for protracted knife-edge battles. This effect won't work on environmental damage (E.g. falling too far) or debuffs (e.g. poisoned).

Lunar Emblems
Finally, an item set for the Celestial Pillars. If we assume the Wall of Flesh to mark the end of normal mode, we can assume the Celestial Pillars mark the penultimate of hardmode. The WoF drops a series of emblems, and the idea has been floated before the Celestial Pillars also do so (or be crafted to do so).
In Expert mode, the Celestial Pillars will have a 33% chance of dropping one of their respective emblems:
  • Nebula Emblem.png
    Nebula Emblem: +20% magic damage
  • Solar Emblem.png
    Solar Emblem: +20% melee damage
  • Stardust Emblem.png
    Stardust Emblem: +20 summon damage
  • Vortex Emblem.png
    Vortex Emblem +20% ranged damage
  • Lunar Emblem.png
    Lunar Emblem: +17% damage
For comparison, the emblems dropped by the WoF increase damage by 15%. Players from pre-1.3 will remember that you had to collect all emblems to make an Avenger Emblem, which provided a 12% damage bonus. You lost 3% as a result of losing the speciality. Like this, the Celestial emblems will also have a combination item.
The Lunar Emblem is crafted with the Nebula, Solar, Stardust and Vortex emblems at a Tinkerer's Workshop. This balances nicely with the Worm Scarf, which grants 17% damage reduction. All Emblem bonuses can stack with each other (but no duplicate accessories), following existing rules.

I would really love to see these items added into terraria, I have to admit the Immortality Necklace is my favourite item in this list so far. It is a great idea for a Lucatic Cultist drop and fits well as a near end game item. Possibly added into the Lunatic Cultist treasure bag....? (Expert item only?)

I like this, there should be more lunar stuff, but then again, when does it become to op?
Thanks! I considered using the Lunar Emblem in further crafting. (E.g. Lunar Emblem + Fire Gauntlet = Shadowflame Gauntlet), but I wasn't sure if that would go too far. Like others, I had some problems pre-1.3 getting the WoF to give me a full set of emblems and I didn't want to replicate this. But if there's interest, I'm happy to add them and extend it a bit!

Nice suggestion, but don't you think the Immortality Necklace is a bit to OP/exaggerated?
I was a little concerned about the Immortality Necklace myself as well. Could you please elaborate? I'm definitely open to trying to make it better. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated. :)

I would really love to see these items added into terraria, I have to admit the Immortality Necklace is my favourite item in this list so far. It is a great idea for a Lucatic Cultist drop and fits well as a near end game item. Possibly added into the Lunatic Cultist treasure bag....? (Expert item only?)
Thanks! I intended for all of these items to be added to Expert Mode treasure bag drops. So the I-Necklace would be added to the (currently unobtainable) Lunatic Cultist treasure bag.

I really like this idea, especially with Omnigoggles. You have my supprt.
Thank you!

I was a little concerned about the Immortality Necklace myself as well. Could you please elaborate? I'm definitely open to trying to make it better. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated. :)
Well, it's either Immortal buff with 30seconds of delay, or +100max HP with regen, I guess?

how about these too:
Berserker emblem:
-50% defense
+50 Damage
Tank emblem
+50% defense
-50% damage

Both from expert moon lord.

I really agree with the idea that these bosses should have better drops, but the lunatic cultist one did seem slightly op.
Could you please explain why you think it is OP? And/or how to balance it better? FireChaos previously thought it should be regen or buff, not both. I personally prefer the regen + HP boost option.

Something else I was considering for the Immortality Necklace was a ~10% chance that damage received would heal the wearer... does anyone like that?

full support. especially for omnigoggles immortality necklace and skelehands
im all about cool stuff for builders
Thanks! The Skeletal Hands were the main piece for this suggestion because I thought it was something very unique and helpful. It inspired me to finish the suggestion and post it. ^^

Back
Top Bottom