Official New front page layout - the Feature Slider!

Tunnel King

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Good Day, Terrarians!

There's been a lot of news lately from the Terraria Compound, with more news coming soon, and our front page was getting a bit crowded. In order to try to give all of our news its proper exposure, we've added a Feature Slider to top of the front page. Now we can give all members and visitors a quick look at all of our news, not just the last thing posted.

teaser.png

Each "frame" in the slider can be clicked on, and will take you to the full article (which for now will still be on the front page below the slider). Positioning your cursor over the image will pause the scroll. There are directional arrows on each side of the slider to go back and forth, and there is a pause/play button at top right to start/stop the scrolling completely.

The developers, community manager, and forum staff will work together to decide on what gets featured, just as we have with the front page articles.

We welcome your comments and criticisms about this below - we'd especially love to hear your experiences with this on mobile devices.

[If you don't see this on your front page yet, please wait a few minutes and/or try refreshing your browser.]

Last edited:
A pretty neat addition.
Maybe make it a touch faster, so that you have enough time to read the short text but then don't have to wait.

Not sure if it was because of the slider or not (phone's old), but my phone couldn't load the home page due to repeated problems with the webpage.

It seems cool, though I don't think I'll use it much since I spend a lot of my TCF time in whatever alerts I get and the actual pages for New Profile Posts and New Posts.

There's no obvious way to change the time each image is shown, but I will look into to it. This is a built-in widget for the package we have for our front page display.

Not sure if it was because of the slider or not (phone's old), but my phone couldn't load the home page due to repeated problems with the webpage.

It seems cool, though I don't think I'll use it much since I spend a lot of my TCF time in whatever alerts I get and the actual pages for New Profile Posts and New Posts.
Sorry to hear it might be causing problems - is there an error message or anything that you could relay?

I asked some of the staff who use mobile a lot while testing, and they didn't seem to be having problems.

Sorry to hear it might be causing problems - is there an error message or anything that you could relay?

I asked some of the staff who use mobile a lot while testing, and they didn't seem to be having problems.
I think it might just be my phone being old. It had an error like 5 times automatically reloading each time, then it stopped trying.
I just reloaded manually and it went through on the second try. Seems pretty draining, I think it's my phone and not anything wrong with the slider itself.

It may be the case that once all of the images have loaded once, it will work better for you. Depends on how your browser caching works, I suppose.

Hopefully @Skiphs will be able to help troubleshoot any issues we run across.

I agree that it feels awkward, I suspect it's the visible timer bar, it pressures you to do something. It's also constantly moving if you just load the page and don't mouse over the slider or pause it. I think I would honestly prefer it if it just suddenly switched to the next one, even though that gets annoying at times. Or maybe just putting the default as paused.

I like it, but it is only visible on my PC. Phone won't even try to load it apparently.
Using an iPhone 6 with IOS 9.1 if you need to know that.
Other than that, works well on my PC, which I am happy about. Good job team!

Back
Top Bottom