Other New Game+ (Endgame Extension)

Severynn

Skeletron Prime
Strolling through the forums I noticed many complaints/annoyances at the fact that Terraria is a linear grind toward the final boss, with little to do once you have reached this stage.

Trying to think of a simple solution to extend playability a 'new game+' kind of thing came to mind. Derived from Torchlight 2, 'new game+' would mean: The option to set your world to a higher difficulty after defeating the final boss (Currently Moonlord) or crafting an item with (rare) drops from said boss. After the first difficulty raise your world will then be set to, for example, Superior. For the second raise Demonic and so on untill Legendary. (Yes, I was thinking using reforge tiers as names)

Going into the higher difficulty you will have to progress through all the bosses again, starting with the Eye of Cthulhu. Yes, this means going back to normal mode.
You will keep all NPC's, items, buildings, etc. Hallowed will only spawn Purity monsters for the time your world is in normal mode. (Or untill hardmode tuned down versions of Hallowed monsters)
However, and this is the twist; All items dropped will be of higher tuned value having the prefix of the difficulty your world is on. (Superior Copper Broadsword) These higher tuned items will be more powerfull than regular difficulty endgame gear, essentially making a whole new game of progression.
Monsters and bosses will all be tuned up by a set amount, to become a match versus the current endgame gear.

To encourage players playing through all the content again you may add certain rare monsters or drops or simply achievements for the higher tiered worlds.

Lastly, if you made it this reading, thank you for taking your time reading my suggestion and feel free adding your own ideas by commenting. I'm open to your ideas!

~Severynn

Strolling through the forums I noticed many complaints/annoyances at the fact that Terraria is a linear grind toward the final boss, with little to do once you have reached this stage.

Trying to think of a simple solution to extend playability a 'new game+' kind of thing came to mind. Derived from Torchlight 2, 'new game+' would mean: The option to set your world to a higher difficulty after defeating the final boss (Currently Moonlord) or crafting an item with (rare) drops from said boss. After the first difficulty raise your world will then be set to, for example, Superior. For the second raise Demonic and so on untill Legendary. (Yes, I was thinking using reforge tiers as names)

Going into the higher difficulty you will have to progress through all the bosses again, starting with the Eye of Cthulhu. Yes, this means going back to normal mode.
You will keep all NPC's, items, buildings, etc. Hallowed will only spawn Purity monsters for the time your world is in normal mode. (Or untill hardmode tuned down versions of Hallowed monsters)
However, and this is the twist; All items dropped will be of higher tuned value having the prefix of the difficulty your world is on. (Superior Copper Broadsword) These higher tuned items will be more powerfull than regular difficulty endgame gear, essentially making a whole new game of progression.
Monsters and bosses will all be tuned up by a set amount, to become a match versus the current endgame gear.

To encourage players playing through all the content again you may add certain rare monsters or drops or simply achievements for the higher tiered worlds.

Lastly, if you made it this reading, thank you for taking your time reading my suggestion and feel free adding your own ideas by commenting. I'm open to your ideas!

~Severynn
There already is an expert mode.

Meh, I've never been a huge fan of a New Game + mode in games. I'd prefer a sort of 'endless dungeon' with increasingly good rewards, possibly taking place on the Moon.

Well, most games comes to an end, and because Terraria is in no way an endless rougelike, or anything of the kind, nor should it be made into one, it obviusly takes a stop when you have the final gear and everything good. It also so happens that one can find their own challanges in the game, maybe come up with some fun playthrough ideas, or make large buildings, or express yourself in the forums with said buildings. The point is, what you seem to be asking for, much like people have been asking before you, in patches before this one, is an endless Terraria PvE playthrough. And I'd say it's certainly a nice concept for people that love to battle, and that these certain peoples asking for this doesn't want to move on from Terraria killingsprees and bossfights, as it seems. But let's be real here, it's not economically effective to update a game forever, and it would most certainly ram Re - Logic into the economical hell. So if you are hoping for an endless Terraria PvE experince with increasing difficulty and, let's not forget, the bigger DMG numbers (which is basically the biggest effect of this sort of endlessness), then I'd suggest you do note in your post that this is an idea for modders, and not the main game, as, in my opinion, it has no place in the main game.

That is literally just rehashing the same content over and over again. In my opinion it's actually less reason to continue playing since gear would be in a constant cycle of getting better but then getting worse as the new game+ gear would beat your standard gear, but they're worse from a gameplay perspective than your standard endgame gear. You're boosting the stats but downgrading the actual play until you get to the higher tier gear again. Unless I'm misreading, this isn't a "solution" whatsoever, merely an illusion of extended play.

The game is better with an actual end goal, with content made for that. And the path to Moon Lord definitely isn't linear - there are many ways to progress and play up to that point. And if somebody honestly thinks it's a linear grind to the end, how does *repeating* that help? You're just in an infinite, linear grind.

I don't see how this would work... an endgame character would have all the NPCs, crafting materials, and tools to skip through most of the game, and no matter how much you buff a copper shortsword it's never going to compare to anything from the lunar event. The only way to get a player to actually play through the game would be to make everything they have completely useless, at which point they would be better off just making a new character and world to play.

If you ask me, Terraria is long enough. It also technically has a New Game + in the form of hardmode, and there it works because there actually is new content to play.

I am so sorry to necro on this poor old thread but this is just the perfect place to say this
I don´t understand what people mean there´s nothing to do after moon lord
There is a ton of post game objectives
Try refighting old bosses to see how easy they are and how far you´ve come
Try changing your devices date and try out the holiday events
Try obtaining a cell phone
Try obtaining a Zenith
Try obtaining Terraspark Boots
Try obtaining a Universal Pylon
Try obtaining a Nymph Banner
Try completing the Bestiary
Try obtaining every Achievement
Try getting max npc Happiness
Try making ¨themed¨ houses such as a bar for the tavernkeep a tree for a dryad or a giant candy cane for santa
Try filling your world with cool Pixel Art
Try Unlocking Duplication for Every Item in Journey Mode
You don´t have to do all of those but if you chose none of them you can´t complain about a ¨lack of content¨
Also the game ALREADY HAS a new game plus you can take your endgame character and start a new world with him
¨A New Game Plus, also New Game+, (NG+) is an unlockable video game mode available in some video games that allows the player to start a new game after they finish it at least once, where certain features in NG+ not normally available in a first playthrough are added, or where certain aspects of the finished game affect the newly started game, such as keeping in the new game items or experience gained in the first playthrough.¨

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 10.54.31 PM.png

or take a new character into your endgame world and see how hard the game becomes
but you can also just play the game again
with procedural generation every playthrough is different and you only get one world evil per playthrough
try playing with the other one
Or you can try a new difficulty setting Expert and Journey mode are REALLY FUN
or you can try a new world size
or a challenge run
or a class run
one of the best parts of this game is that it NEVER has to end
so why do people feel like it does?
sorry if this sounds like complaining itś supposed to be genuine advice
I just wanted to put my opinion into this argument :redmunch:
to;dr: YOU CHOOSE when Terraria ends

Last edited:
@EternalThrylös
Interesting necroed thread...

Anyway, I think that your points are mostly valid, but the initial question is probably not that

(although the original idea doesn't sounds a lot different than moving on from normal mode to a new expert playthrough...? plus, it's not just attack power or such that matters, almost all endgame gear will be stronger than a copper shortsword, even if you give the copper shortsword 200 atk. because it lacks range, and is overall a very weak weapon as far as abilities concerned...
But let's not forget that the original thread is pretty old. How was Terraria like back then, again? A lot changed since, I'm sure.

Anyway, what I think, the concern is more like "what am I supposed to do with this playthrough, after I defeated Moon Lord?" which I think is a valid concern. Not as much the "What am I supposed to do with Terraria after", since you can always start a new playthrough, and they're all different, and you can try challanges and stuff.
But what about the fact that there's no much content after Moon Lord? like, no new biomes, no new events...

For instence, I usuall don't like taking items from other playthrough (except if I'm having horrible luck with RNG), but I mean, don't wanna take items from later in the progression, than where I am in the current playthrough. And I'm assuming I'm not the only one like this.
This would make a few items, like the portal gun nearly never used for anything, because that playthrough just ended, when you got it. This also goes for almost everything else in the late game.

So, I think, the concern is valid, but rising the difficulty probably wouldn't solve it. Something like a new biome (like another dungeon or such) being unlocked would add a bit more for post moon lord to discover (though I think another one would be needed post golem too)

Back
Top Bottom