NPCs & Enemies New NPC: The Chemist!

Huzbubber Tim

Ice Queen
(Note: You may not use my suggestion in any mods, as I am currently in the process of making a mod of my own that is implementing most of my suggestions. Thank you for understanding!)
THREAD OVERHAUL IS IN PROGRESS (updates to the thread and new sprites coming soon!)

For a while I have been thinking about a science-themed NPC, and I have finally come to the forums to suggest it. My idea: The Chemist!

IMG_1294.PNG

The chemist would move onto any vacant house after WoF is defeated. He sells various science themed items and two new crafting stations.

-Nye
-Bill
-Albert
-Dalton
-Niel
-Moritz
-Newton
-Walter
-Desmond
-Rick
-Nick
-Flamell

Chemist:

"Well hello [player]! Want to try some of my new solutions?

"Why is my face burned? Don't ask."

"...And pour some nitrogen into the bottle and (BOOM). Oops.

"Look at this beautiful acid! Look what It can... Oops, sorry.

"Excuse me but, what is one plus one again? I need it for my experiment but I keep forgetting."

At Night:
"Now, where did I put that... (shatter!) Oh no."

"Hi! I made you this glow in the dark necklace! Don't ask how."

"Do you know where I put my glasses?"

"Chemistry is hard at night, unless you have a bottle of glowing acid!"

During a blood moon:
"I keep trying to mix my materials, but blood won't stop dropping from the roof."

"ARGH! I hate the zombies! I keep trying to work but they annoy me so much and they make me ANGRY!"

During a solar eclipse:
"If I could get some goo from one of those swamp things, just imagine what I could do!"

"EYEZOR? What kind of name is THAT?"

During a Party:
"This party is great! They really seem to like the chemi... 'ahem' punch I made."

After all mechanical bosses are defeated:
"What, you thought I only did chemistry?"

When Stylist is present:
"Hey, can you get me some of [stylist]'s hair dye? I might be able to use it in my latest experiment!"

"[Stylist] keeps trying to get me to fix my hair. I don't know how to fix things."

When Angler is present: "Here, give this to [angler]. He might be able to use it while he's fishing."

When Dryad is present: "I tried to make a purifying solution one time. It exploded in my face."

When Demolitionist is present: "I need to keep my stuff away from [demolitionist]. He keeps trying to steal it!"

When Tax Collector is present: "[Tax collector] is such a grouch! He won't even let me give him a sample of my newest formula! He says he wants my money instead."

Other NPCs:

Demolitionist: "If I can get [chemist] to give me some of his stuff, I can make my biggest bomb yet!"

Dryad: "[Chemist] should be more careful with his experiments. He keeps killing all the plants by my house!"

Angler: "Oh boy! I wonder if [chemist] will ever let me help with one of his experiments!"

"He he, you'll never guess what happened when I put that fish in [chemist]'s experiment!"

Merchant: "[Chemist] is no fun! He keeps spilling acid on all my stuff!"

Stylist: "[Chemist] has such messy hair! How does he do science without singing his hair off?!"

Cyborg: "I seriously want some tools from [Chemist] to fix my short circuit, but he keeps bringing me vials instead!

Lab Table: Always available. Costs 10 gold. Used to craft science themed items. Tooltip: "Used for science experiments."
Lab Table.png

Test Tube: Always available. Costs 10 silver. Crafting material.
IMG_1309.PNG

Test Tube Rack: Always available. Costs 50 silver. When placed, it can hold up to 5 test tubes or vials.
IMG_1454.PNG

Vat: Always available. Crafting material. Can be placed. Used to store liquids and functions as a liquid's respective crafting station. Can hold up to 10 buckets of liquid.
Vat Item.png
Vat.png
Water Vat.gif
Lava Vat.gif
Honey Vat.gif
Shimmer Vat.gif

Liquid Nitrogen: Available after a mechanical boss is defeated. Costs 15 silver.
IMG_1366.PNG

Nitro Booster: Available after all mechanical bosses are defeated. Costs 50 gold. Greatly increases all movement speed and double acceleration time.
Nitro Tank.png

Electromanipulator: Available after all mechanical bosses are defeated. Costs 1 gold. Crafting material. Tooltip: "Because long and complicated names make everything better."
IMG_1329.PNG

Van De Graaff Generator: Available after all mechanical bosses are defeated for 10 gold. Allows crafting of lightning themed items. Tooltip: "Zappy zap zap!"
Van De Graaff Generator.png

Chemist Outfit: Sold for 3 gold/piece during Halloween. Composed of the Chemist Wig, Lab Coat, and Rubber Boots.
IMG_1449.PNG
IMG_1450.PNG
IMG_1452.PNG

Crafted at Chemistry Lab:
Vials: Vials are a new consumable. When thrown, anything in the area of effect cloud the vial emits in contact (including players) when it comes in contact with tiles/enemies/players will get the effect of the vial. Vial types: Cursed, Ichor, Chilly, Poison, Venom, Fire, Gold, Explosive, Nanites, and Slowness.
(All at Chemistry Station)
Cursed Vial: 10 cursed flames, 1 test tube.
IMG_1310.PNG
Ichor Vial: 10 Ichor, 1 test tube.
IMG_1320.PNG
Chilly Vial: 10 ice blocks, 1 vial.
IMG_1382.PNG
Poison Vial: 10 stingers, 1 test tube.
IMG_1322.PNG
Venom Vial: 10 spider fangs, 1 test tube.
IMG_1323.PNG
Fire Vial: 10 hellstone, 1 test tube.
IMG_1319.PNG
Gold Vial: 10 gold dust, 1 test tube.
IMG_1384.PNG
Explosive Vial: 10 explosive powder, 1 test tube.
IMG_1383.PNG
Nanite Vial: 10 nanites, 1 test tube
IMG_1321.PNG
Slowness Vial: 10 snails, 1 test tube.
IMG_1331.PNG
Nitrogen Bottle: Crafted with 1 test tube and 5 liquid nitrogen, nitrogen bottles can be placed on the ground. When a player/enemy steps on it, it releases a cloud of nitrogen dealing 45 damage.
IMG_1330.PNG

Nitrogen Arrow: Crafted with 50 arrows and 1 liquid nitrogen. Nitrogen arrows create a cloud of nitrogen has that damages enemies. Does 18 damage. When coming into contact, it will explode in a puff of nitrogen and effect nearby enemies with the frostburn debuff for 5 seconds.
IMG_1369.PNG

Nitrogen Bullet: Crafted with 50 bullet shells and 1 liquid nitrogen. Bullet counterpart of the nitrogen arrow. Does 15 damage. When coming into contact, it does the same as the nitrogen arrow.
IMG_1385.PNG

Crafted at Van De Graaff Generator:
Bottled Lightning: 1 vial, 1 bottled water, 1 electromanipulator. Bottled Lightning can be thrown and upon contact with the ground, Lightning bolts will strike where the bottle landed, dealing 40 damage per strike. Inflicts electrified upon contact for 5 seconds.
IMG_1447.PNG

Lightning Rod: 10 adamantite/titanium and 25 electromanipulators. This magic weapon costs 20 mana and will summon a lightning strike at the cursor, dealing 70 damage. Inflicts electrified upon contact for 5 seconds.
IMG_1451.PNG

Plasma Arrow: 50 arrows and 10 electromanipulators. When it is shot, a swirling plasma effect will appear around the arrow and damage enemies. Does 16 damage. Inflicts electrified upon contact for 3 seconds.
IMG_1370.PNG

Plasma Bullet: 50 musket balls and 10 electromanipulators. Has the same effects of plasma arrows. Does 12 damage. Inflicts electrified upon contact for 3 seconds.
IMG_1371.PNG

Plasmatix: 25 electromanipulaors and a spell tome. Fires an arcing bolt of plasma at the cursor. Costs 15 mana. Does 40 damage. Inflicts electrified upon hit enemies for 7 seconds.
IMG_1466.PNG

Plasma Prod: 25 electromanipulators and 15 adamantite/titanium bars. It is used in the manner of a spear. Does 45 damage. Inflicts electrified upon hit enemies from r 5 seconds.
IMG_1465.PNG

Energy Staff: 20 electromanipulators, 15 adamantite/titanium bars. Summons a Plasma Orb to fight for the player. The Plasma Orb will act similar to the magnet sphere, but it follows the player and moves faster. It does 35 damage itself and the lasers do 25 damage. Costs 10 mana. IMG_1463.PNG
IMG_1464.PNG

Plasma Globe: 20 glass and 10 electromanipulators. Can be placed as a decoration item. It appears to be a glass sphere with purple lightning flashing inside.IMG_1457.PNG

Crafted at Hardmode Anvil:

Freezeflame Boots: Crafted with Frostspark Boots and Lava Waders. Crafting material. These boots combine the effects of frostspark boots and lava waders. (Don't worry, this is supposed to be here.)
IMG_1365.PNG

Nitro Boots: Crafted with Freezeflame Boots and a Nitro Tank. These boots allow the player to run insanely fast (50 mph), walk on lava and water, have extra mobility on ice, have immunity to fire blocks, have 8 seconds of immunity to lava, and have doubled movement speed besides running.
IMG_1368.PNG

Dropped by Chemist: Safety Goggles: Accessory. When equipped, you take less damage from vials and other weapons mentioned in this thread. You also look cool.
IMG_1453.PNG

Thank you to Creeper 37500 for help balancing the stats!

Thank you for reading my suggestion! Please let me know what you think in the comments!

Last edited:
-Nye
-Bill
BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!
Joking aside, the Nitro Tank seems a bit powerful; Doubling movement speed is nice, but maybe add a con to it. Perhaps a decrease in Damage?
Also, the Nitro Boots and Freezeflame Boots (nice name, by the way; It's original AFAIK) may need to be moved to another Crafting Station; I'd recommend Hardmode Anvil for Freezeflame Boots (as to not give an extremely good accessory Pre-HM) and the Nitro to either a new Post-Plantera/Golem station or the Ancient Manipulator.

BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!
Joking aside, the Nitro Tank seems a bit powerful; Doubling movement speed is nice, but maybe add a con to it. Perhaps a decrease in Damage?
Also, the Nitro Boots and Freezeflame Boots (nice name, by the way; It's original AFAIK) may need to be moved to another Crafting Station; I'd recommend Hardmode Anvil for Freezeflame Boots (as to not give an extremely good accessory Pre-HM) and the Nitro to either a new Post-Plantera/Golem station or the Ancient Manipulator.
Thanks for the advice! I will take this into consideration and edit my post to balance it.

The bit about having liquid nitrogen do things while in a chest (evaporate and cause damage) seems mechanically dubious -- AFAIK chests are otherwise inactive until you interact with them, even Etherian Mana can be stored in a chest as long as you don't open it.

The bit about having liquid nitrogen do things while in a chest (evaporate and cause damage) seems mechanically dubious -- AFAIK chests are otherwise inactive until you interact with them, even Etherian Mana can be stored in a chest as long as you don't open it.
True. I might change the nitrogen to be similar to the etherian mana. Thanks for the advice!

I would like a Chemist in the game too, I even suggested one! The purpose behind mine was selling Potions but I think this would be much cooler... support! Also he should be able to have the name Rick as a reference to Rick and Morty. ;)

Support !
Make a Lab Coat Vanity Set that s weared ! I don't like the other vanity sets though.
I think there’s already a lab coat in there, the sprite probably just wasn’t recognizable, since these are some of my earlier sprites. ;)
[doublepost=1516367622,1516367551][/doublepost]
I would like a Chemist in the game too, I even suggested one! The purpose behind mine was selling Potions but I think this would be much cooler... support! Also he should be able to have the name Rick as a reference to Rick and Morty. ;)
I think that either Nick or Flamel would be a good name.
Added the suggested names.

I have a question:is the chemist supposed to sell some sort of alloy?because if yes,then I have a little(big)problem:my chemist doesn't sell anything(he is supposed to sell some sort of alloy).the shop window appears but there is no alloy,and we'll...this sucks because I need it.(also,what is with this liquid nitrogen thing?)

Back
Top Bottom