NPCs & Enemies New Npcs and how to get them (1.4)

What Are Your Thoughts On These Concepts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GumballMVF

Terrarian
First Idea-Native Chief- found after using purification powder on an odd looking zombie. Only one can spawn at a time and they only spawn during blood moons after you have defeated eye of Cthulhu. He is similar to the angler yet he gives you land based quests. You can have quests for animals or objects. The rewards he give you depend on how far along you are in the game.

Second Idea-Chemist-found after new event Locust storm and stuck partially in the ground. She can give you a chemistry table and give you many strange chemicals that do many things. From explosive and electrifying chemicals to chemicals that can help you make new items.

Final idea-Locust Storm- After beating golem you have the chance to have a locust storm occur. A Locust storm is full of new bug related enemies that swarm around you and can pick up dirt and through it around. Also the locusts are known to eat plants in their way so you may want to stock up on plant seeds before the even because they will destroy your plants.Locust Brutes are the “boss” of the event and can drop good hardmode gear. Locust storms are more likely to happen during the day. The difficulty on the event is just about as hard as a solar eclipse.

more quest giving NPCs could be fun, indeed. what sort of character you mean by a native chief though? native to... what place?

the chemist (I'm pretty sure there are similar in some mods?) sounds okay, but... what stuff to craft? if it's an NPC related to helping with crafting certain items, you might could explain a bit more on those items too.

Also, you mean, lucust would... do what with dirt? nothing should affect the terrain and stuff except things done by the player, (IMO). that's why other such stuff got removed too.
Also, lucust really would affect players differently. you would only suffer from it much, if you actually go though the pain of growing your own potion ingredients. if you don't do that, it doesn't affects you that much, isn't it? I dunno...

I LOVE new NPCs, and definitelly would love to see more new fun faces in town, but, so, what exactly these 2 NPCs would do...? And I dunno about lucust storm...

I thought for the dirt they would be like the frost legion and through dirt around for one of their attacks. Maybe instead the locust storm would not through around dirt but just mess with grass and some plants? The chemist could be a npc who helps with crafting new and cool gear and using weird chemicals as weird buffs, debuffs and other weird stuff. You could use some new plants from the jungle and maybe some weird underground material only found in granite caves (Maybe Bismuth) for your chemistry table. Also the Native chief would look like a native Navajo man dressed in very intricate looking attire. He could maybe give you a staff that makes spirits swarm around nearby enemies and makes others flee? This is my first idea so it might be a bit unlikeable but I tried.
Thanks for reading my Idea and feel free to add on to the suggestions!

well, if it's your first suggestion, congratulations!

but, yeah, it kinda lacks stuff, but, I do think the idea of more NPCs is fun. I did created a few minimods with NPCs before, and wanna create more too! XD

As for frost legion, snow balla is the number one most annoying monster, IMO. they litter every place with snow blocks, even areas you can't easy reach, it's a huge pain to clean up after them. so, don't do any monsters that throw around or place blocks or anything.

as for the native chief, well, there are no (native american) indian NPC, so why not, but, I dunno why would it be an indian chief to give quests? I mean, the annoying brat - cough - angler, is related to fishing, so him giving you fishing quests makes sense. why would it be an indian chief to give you quests?

as for the chemist, if she is related to new materials, that's cool, but, then tell more about said materials too.

I thought the Native Chief for quests because he is getting older (Mid life crisis) and he has chronic back pain so he needs you to get him materials to use by himself (Aka medicine) and with the witch doctor. Plus the Witch Doctor and him get along quite well. Yet The native Chief and angler could be rivals because one thinks he is an annoying brat and the other thinks the other is a old hag. As for New materials for the Chemist maybe the periodic table could be implemented? Like maybe you could use Sulfuric Acid to burn zombies at your door or you could freeze wyverns with Liquid Nitrogen? The periodic table may be a bit much so maybe just some elements like Sulfur, Nitrogen, and bismuth. It feels like a package deal where if you don't have certain elements the whole thing just crumbles. Also if you think you can fix the locust storm with ideas of your own please tell me.

Okay, that sounds funny XD a town NPC giving you quests to make medicine for his back pain XD That could be interesting. XD

As for the chemist, and materials, sounds interesting, but if the materials are stuff you get by mining, why would it be something post golem? you wouldn't really have problems with zombies or wyverns by that point. I think this idea needs a lot more brainstorming still to work.

if we're at NPCs though, do you have more NPC ideas? I'm curious. and it's fun to brainstorm.

Maybe scrap the chemist and maybe a locust comedian??? He could be like a pretty dumb npc that just tells jokes and you can buy locust wings, mount, and a summoner for the event. Maybe he spawns kinda like the goblin tinkerer. Just above ground. Maybe he was shunned for being annoying. Maybe him and the angler would get along because of the annoyingness of both of them.
[doublepost=1566187191,1566187163][/doublepost] Maybe I shouldn't scrap the periodic table tho it might work

you mean, a human sized lucust/grasshopper/whatever dude? why not? XD but what jokes would he/she sell? and what other stuff?

I think the periodic table is too big to work out well, or it would need really lots of thinking how to fine tune such an idea to actually work somehow. there are materials that are in the game already, like silver, gold, etc. (obviously) as for other materials, I dunno if you really need to think about something like the periodic table. you want something for a specific purpose? create something (or take something from the periodic table, whatever), but no need to think about all those stuff in the table, you have no idea what to use for.

what sort of NPCs are missing from the game, what do you think? XD like, what sort of NPCs you would like to see or something?

He would not sell but tell jokes to you and other npcs. He would tell good jokes, bad jokes, Insulting jokes, and charming jokes. He os good spirited and kind just can become a bit much to handle when he really starts talking not to mention his high pitched voice can get a bit annoying. He could have a comedic laughter airhorn that blasts laughter sound waves and kills enemies. For new Npcs Chef, Astronomer, Fortune teller, and maybe Businessman?

the problem with that is, that would you want an NPC, who does nothing useful? sure, they could be fun, but they move in a room that could house an actually useful NPC instead, and normally you are even limited to like 50 town NPCs or something (on the housing menu. more can move in, you just can't tell them where to live. although, Census mod actually fixes that - but even then, it is questionable why would you want an NPC who is pretty useless?

There's a chef (or cook) in Thorium, and I think in another mod too, not sure which)
as for the other NPC ideas, what would they do?

The npc would not be completely useless because I said earlier he does sell some decent items for early hardmode Locust wings, a locust mount, A giant laughter can, and a summoner for the event. The locust storm because it causes some grass patches, plants, and leaves from trees to disappear. the loot from the locust storm would be pretty good for pre golem coming around at about 80-100 damage. As for the astronomer I think he could be a human who would sell telescopes, have a npc event similar to the party where he gathers all the npcs outside if he has access to and they watch the stars and talk and socialize. I would say the party girl and him are the gatherers of the npcs. For what he would sell I'm not sure but for how to obtain him maybe his telescope is in the desert at night, and if you interact with it he comes running at you saying “Don't touch that, I was trying to look at the sky with no cloud cover!” Then he apologizes and says you are the first creature that has not attempted to murder or eat him. Then he is able to move in the next day. For the businessman maybe he would act like the tax collectors boss, having the businessman also being a tattered soul but noticeably larger. He would sell business related gear not really weapons tho. The cook would just cook exotic foods and maybe she would stock you with exotic plants, vegetables, and fruits to grow from around the world.

I still think that selling just those is a bit lacking...

Having all NPCs temporarily gather in one place could be pretty interesting, but pretty dangerous if you don't have mods that prevents them from dying. although, especially in group, they can be quite strong, they can be a good help with a pre-hardmode blood moon or goblin army, in hardmode, a single pirate invasion or solar eclipse can massacre your entire town. if they all would be in one place, it could be dangerous (or, it also could be used to get them to a safe place farther from danger. but certain events such as pirate invasion will only happen near NPCs

by the way, why would you want to eat an astronomer? if, I'm assuming he's a human. most player characters are human, or something similar. (you could be pretty much anything with boss masks and stuff but still)
The truffle saying similar stuff makes sense, because he(?) is a mushroom, but... isn't the astronomer a human?

dunno about the tax collector's boss... a large businessman could be interesting too XD but what would he sell?

Thorium's cook already does kinda similar stuff making food from rare stuff and whatnot. So I dunno if there's a need for another similar NPC...? of course, Thorium is a mod, not the vanilla game.
But generally, when brainstoming about NPCs, I imagine them as made for mods or they make standalone minimods or something. That's much more likely, than them getting accepted into the vanilla game, IMO.

but, so, yeah, as I said, I made some NPCs before, so I'm interested in making more, if there are cool ideas! Though I can't code anything special, besides the usual "merchant-type" town NPC (that is, town NPCs who buy and sell stuff. so no fancy things like quests)

Back
Top Bottom