New Official Terraria Wiki Launches Today!

What was wrong with the old wiki? Perhaps admin drama. We need an official Discord & Reddit so these fickle power hungry volunteer admins can take a seat. They use vague rules to enforce how they feel at the moment. Not to mention the cringe politics they inject.
I can't speak for discord, but I can say that the subreddit is a lot better than other subreddits. I've never seen the admins there mention anything about politics.

Thank you for doing this. I completely despise Fandom and I've hated that the Minecraft and Terraria wikis were still on Fandom. I took my own wiki independent in November 2020 when they announced the shutdown of Gamepedia Wikis. I got sick of them giving us worrying news, telling us not to worry and when we'd ask what was planned, it was always "We don't know", while the wikis got worse and worse to use.

I'll happily support and spread the new wiki. I know from personal experience what a nightmare it can be to get the new version established. Especially with Fandom's SEO dominance. I wish you guys the best.

Honestly, I would've never recommended going to the previous Wikis without an 'ad blocker', nice to see this long-time issue finally being addressed. 🤔 🥤 Also, some stuff has been just plain wrong, some entries have been wrong for years... glad this'll finally be fixed too.

Very happy to see this move! Fandom is unusable nowadays without an ad + script blocker. Between ads covering >50% of the page, auto-playing video ads and a myriad of tooltips / pop-ups, I've given up any wiki hosted on Fandom. I respect the right of a site to run ads, but Fandom has taken it too far. New site looks great, and while there are still ads, they are much less intrusive.

how to get login pass to enter the site?
1647343343849.png

What was wrong with the old wiki? Perhaps admin drama. We need an official Discord & Reddit so these fickle power hungry volunteer admins can take a seat. They use vague rules to enforce how they feel at the moment. Not to mention the cringe politics they inject.
No drama, just what used to be a great site getting sold around until it became ad-filled junk. A reset was needed! Not sure what you're talking about in regards to reddit and discord, both of the teams have been approved by RL and while fan run, are official; they're linked to from inside the game afterall!

how to get login pass to enter the site?View attachment 359707
You'll need to clear your browser cache of any data stored for wiki.gg.

some entries have been wrong for years... glad this'll finally be fixed too.
As a wiki editor and in defense of my fellow wiki editors, we know. Wikis occasionally contain wrong information, they're a collaborative effort, so you're free to edit them and correct the info. Otherwise, consider pointing out the exact error so an editor can correct it. You could post a message on the talk page if you're not comfortable editing the wiki.

Oftentimes, we all have our own projects going on and an error on a page we're not watching isn't even on our radar. Another issue might just be that none of the regulars are aware that the info is wrong. One of my wikis has over 4,000 pages and it can be difficult to keep track of so many pages. Random editors often make one-off edits to correct errors that my team and I missed.

All this is to say: We (wiki editors) can't fix info that we aren't aware is wrong.

nice, i guess this means that now wikia is going to hold all the old pages hostage on the site, pretend it never moved from there, and have their decadent unmantained content battle with the official wiki for search result prominence for the rest of time as with the cold war they're waging with the official runescape wikis?

pretty nice overall, but i'm not sure if i trust an external service to not screw this up, what's wrong with just setting up a mediawiki instance yourselves?

I'm genuinely happy about this.

Wikia/Fandom's dominance of wikifarms has been a frustration of mine for a long time and their ad policies are deceptive at best. Seeing Gamepedia being fused with Wikia was... annoying to say the least? It definetly felt like the monopoly that was already there became even worse. I'm happy to see that the Terraria wiki has found a new home (and if the Steam announcement was any indication, the people running Gamepedia seem to have felt the same way?) and I can only hope others follow.

(I accidentally posted this part in the feedback thread but realized it probably fits better here.)

This looks so nice now compared to the fandom one, and it's way easier to access! No longer need to google "Terraria wiki" everytime I forget something

It always struck me as odd whenever people complained about obnoxious intrusive ads until I remember that I added an adblocker years ago to block everything because Google's ad services can't be trusted and too many websites use that service. So it's reassuring to se the new wiki isn't going to use that uncontainable mess.

We're going to need to do our part to make sure the gg wiki becomes the top search result and fandom wiki gets dethroned.

Well the new wiki is great but... only in English. The other languages now readily available at the bottom of the page are underdeveloped. For example, it is enough to change the language to Polish and enter the Mounts tab. More than half of them are practically missing. It is similar in other languages.

Back
Top Bottom