Blocks & Decoration New paints

OmegaFallon

Terrarian
Paint is one of the most useful features in the game for building, and it's already very versatile and expansive in its color selection. However, there are a few key things I believe are missing that I think would be good if they were added:
  • A darker brown: The current brown paint is more of a tanish color. I like this color a lot, but a variant for a darker brown, perhaps something like the shade used in these forums, would be very nice.
  • Rarity paints: Firstly, metallic paints. These probably wouldn't be good for every metal, for example, cobalt probably wouldn't be useful because we have so many blues already. However, something like gold, silver, copper, and metallic colors which don't already have a standard paint equivalent would be a good addition. They could be made of other materials, too, for example, the Broken Hero Sword could make Terra Paint, Beetle Shells could make a dark purple paint, and souls could make a shimmering color effect paint. This could give a new use to items which lose all purpose after a certain point. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has Hero Swords just lying around, doing nothing.) I think these should be crafted rather than bought, to make them an expensive item, a sort of fashion statement. Luminite paint would be especially cool. If these are sold, they should be tied to game progression and be very expensive.
  • Ghostly paint: This would make a block be semi-transparent, something like half of its regular opacity. This could be crafted with ectoplasm, fitting into the above suggestion.
  • Delluminant paint: Exactly the same as illuminant paint, except it makes things appear completely dark. Good for when you want very specific ambience.
  • Combination paints: Currently, there are some cases where you need to chose between paints even if you don't want to. Do you want something to be painted red, or do you want it to be painted illuminant? Why not both? Rather than adding a multi-layer system to paint, I think you should be able to craft illuminant and ghostly variants of all the other paints, similar to crafting deep variants at a dye vat. Perhaps other combinations could be useful too.
Hopefully everyone else likes these suggestions! More paint variety is always a good thing in my book. Also I think the painter and the dye trader should kiss ok bye

Hello, this would be a very good addition to the game, and it has been suggested several times here on the forums.
Not the fact of adding these paints specifically, but paints in general.

but I can see that you are new here, both in the forums and in the game itself, so I will tell you some sad news: The game only supports a specific number of paints that recently (in this latest update) has been fully occupied and now there can be no new paint colors and textures.

Think with me: Do you think the devs would have been satisfied with the amount of paints that already exist if it were possible to add a much greater variety???
NO!! Of course not!!

But this was a great idea.
Edit: just as an extra, read this to be informed: Paints

Last edited:
Hello, this would be a very good addition to the game, and it has been suggested several times here on the forums.
Not the fact of adding these paints specifically, but paints in general.

but I can see that you are new here, both in the forums and in the game itself, so I will tell you some sad news: The game only supports a specific number of paints that recently (in this latest update) has been fully occupied and now there can be no new paint colors and textures.

Think with me: Do you think the devs would have been satisfied with the amount of paints that already exist if it were possible to add a much greater variety???
NO!! Of course not!!

But this was a great idea.
Edit: just as an extra, read this to be informed: Paints
Aww... that's a shame. :( What exactly is the limiting factor? Since there's 32 paints I'm guessing it's something to do with bit storage?

Aww... that's a shame. :( What exactly is the limiting factor? Since there's 32 paints I'm guessing it's something to do with bit storage?
Look, I don't know exactly what causes this limitation, but I think it has something to do with the language used by devs for the creation and development of the game, which is the XNA framework.

I know how sad and disappointing it is to receive such news, especially for people like me, who love to build everything in the game. And as you know, every good Terraria builder uses and knows how to use paints in the game.

I also think it would be incredible the range of possibilities that we could have for things to build, if there were more paints. I even thought how amazing it would be if there was an equivalent paint color for each dye in the game.
But this is what we have, for now.

Perhaps in the next game to be released (Terraria 2) the devs will be able to add that.

Back
Top Bottom