PC New playthrough suggestion...no workbench allowed?

breadbin

Terrarian
I thought it might be a good idea to start a new playthrough. I have thousands of hours sunk into Terraria and would like a challenge. Something different at least. I don't think this has been done before. Maybe something similar has. Play Terraria expert without using a Workbench.

Are there any pitfalls that I might not be thinking of? I know I can get a furnace, bed, from the underworld, I can fish to get the reaver shark. I will have to rely on mob drops to get armour. I'll be able to get an enchantment table in the dungeon. It seems doable. What do you think?

If you extend that to no workbench, anvil, or ancient manipulator, we’ll have a real challenge on our hands. I’ve done this challenge myself and while it’s rough trying to kill the Wall of Flesh while essentially naked, it’s doable. In the end you will be using Fishron gear against Moon Lord while wearing Valhalla Knight Armour. Probably the worst part was killing the first Mechanical boss. The Nimbus Rod and Dart Rifle were good against the Destroyer, but I had no armour, so it was a lot like a DPS race.

If you extend that to no workbench, anvil, or ancient manipulator, we’ll have a real challenge on our hands. I’ve done this challenge myself and while it’s rough trying to kill the Wall of Flesh while essentially naked, it’s doable. In the end you will be using Fishron gear against Moon Lord while wearing Valhalla Knight Armour. Probably the worst part was killing the first Mechanical boss. The Nimbus Rod and Dart Rifle were good against the Destroyer, but I had no armour, so it was a lot like a DPS race.
Pssst... Ancient Cobalt Armor...

EDIT: Also Robes for Magic are crafted at the Loom, so really there are many mage options, but still.

I thought it might be a good idea to start a new playthrough. I have thousands of hours sunk into Terraria and would like a challenge. Something different at least. I don't think this has been done before. Maybe something similar has. Play Terraria expert without using a Workbench.

Are there any pitfalls that I might not be thinking of? I know I can get a furnace, bed, from the underworld, I can fish to get the reaver shark. I will have to rely on mob drops to get armour. I'll be able to get an enchantment table in the dungeon. It seems doable. What do you think?

It started as a no workbench playthrough but I have not crafted anything at all yet so I might continue like that. I did find an anvil but have not used it, same with the workbench. I am struggling now to get a fishing rod. The travelling merchant of course had one early on but i didn't have the money. Now he is being stubborn. I am looking for jungle shrines for a fibreglass one,

I made a farm in the caverns layer, a mob trap with lava. Had to use the natural lava because hey no buckets!. I added a bit of marble and the Hoplites were spawning and so now I have full gladiator armour. I have an enchanted boomerang and a Candy Cane Sword. No hook yet. I will have to get that fishing. No double jump either. I did have one before but I died and couldn't get back to my gear.

I think once I get a fishing rod it will become a lot easier. Oh and I got a Bone Pickaxe which is fantastic.

I was stuck earlier on because I had the merchant. He died and the fisher guy moved into his house. I had no furniture to get the merchant back. I was living off the merchant for torches and potions and not to mention shurikens too. I decided to dig to hell because I knew there would be loads of obsidian furniture around there, but again I needed the merchant to get rope.

I'm enjoying it though! The jungle is painful especially in mediumcore but exciting too. I'd recommend it. Plan now is to get either one of the fishing rods. Maybe dig a safe enough tunnel to the corruption and bomb an orb. Get the Arms Dealer and then Minishark. For armour, yes I will aim for an Ancient Cobalt Set. I'll have to set up some sort of farm there. No idea how to do Skeletron. Maybe dig up a load of minecart track and make a loop. I'm deliberating whether I can make potions or does that constitute crafting? Same with Cooked Fish.

Back
Top Bottom