Official New Terraria Toy Line - Your Feedback Needed!

How should the new line of Terraria-based toys be made?

• Detailed, Static "Statues" that work best as collectibles for display

Votes: 157 66.2%
  • Action figures with some level of articulation (limb movement) that would work better for "play"

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • No real preference

Votes: 32 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The developers themselves would not be making the toys, and it's ok for community-oriented staff members to gather community feedback

Ninja'd by Cenx lol

======================================================

@Loki @Cenx @Redigit

I think a "realistic" or a "blocky/pixely" product would actually do a disservice to fans and collectors both young and old. Either distinction tends to alienate either group. The pixel style rendered for toys only really appeals to younger audiences, while realism (I feel) doesn't do the game any sort of justice; it just doesn't fit.

I don't think there should be a decision between static collectibles and articulated action figures; I feel both will do very well IF... if you get the look right.

Honestly, I'm surprised you guys aren't going in the "Disney Infinity" direction:

93yNWuX.jpg

BHgiEDv.jpg

I'm not saying "Use THIS style". But as an example; Disney Infinity is both played with by younger audiences, and collected by older audiences. The style of "toy" allows them to fill a multitude of roles. I feel Terraria product development can benefit a great deal by looking to DI as an influence.
Those are actually really cute, thanks for the feedback. :)

I'd have to go with static 'collectable' figures. Action figures with moving gizmos and the like are for kids these days. XD

After some thought, I figure I'll vote for the detailed statues, as I've started getting to design and stuff as of late and it'd make my room look slightly less stupid.

Also I have some friends who like Terraria and also like collectibles, so it'd be a cool gift for them if I ever stop being broke.

The concept art you provided is rather interesting, but I know I do not want that. As many before me have said, we want stuff that's a bit accurate to the game. I personally also do not want such serious looking collectables. The Spawn figures I have are for that. I recommend either making it close to its 2D Counterpart, or taking the route that Izzabelle suggested with the pictures she posted.

I'd agree that even if you aim for a more realistic form, the whimsy and fantasy elements should be preserved. Especially in terms of proportion and color.

Kinda like what I do with my work.

I feel it might be worth while to have an old school approach to the toy line by making them like the old Gundam style models. Also it would be cool to have change able parts with the toys, such as the Armor, Sword & as an added bonus you could also do a collector style model where you buy the actual in game Armor sets & are able to paint them (Maybe the dye colors from the actual game?)/ put them together on you're own as well.

While I like the artist's idea for the statues, I think Having a bit of a more cartoony look would do the game justice.

Examples: The DC interpretation, and the statues Izzabelle used.

Essentially, should we make these into cool, detailed, static collectible "statues" that you can proudly display on your desk, mantle, dashboard, and wherever else you show off awesome things

I would be 100% fine with this, as I'm not much of an "action figure" type of guy, and I much more prefer static or very-few-movable-parts type of collectibles. I feel that action figures are much easier to break, because, unless you know the tolerances of the joints, you may handle the figure way too rough and break off an arm or a leg, for example. I should know because I did that A LOT as a kid. As for the statue-like collectibles. If you DO decide to go that route, I feel each statue should have a unique base, for example with the Shadow (Scale) armored terrarian shown in the original post would have a Corruption-based, well, base or for a Molten armored terrarian, that one would have a hell-themed or lava-themed base, etc, etc, etc. Something I would find really cool are a series of good-guy statues, like terrarians or npcs, and then a bad-guy series, like some monsters or bosses like the Eye of Cthulhu or Skeletron.

TL;DR, I am 100% OK with statues, if you go with action figures, good on you, but I probably won't buy them as I'd be too scared of breaking them.

It would be nice to have some toys that don't look like Minecraft ripoffs. However, I would say don't go too realistic. @Izzabelle 's suggestion of a slightly cartoony style akin to Disney Infintity would be awesome, in my opinion.

Edit:
Looking through the thread, it kooks like lots of people, including Cenx, have taken a liking to Izzabelle's suggestion. Hopefully the figures will be in this style.

Sculpts are expensive though. The fact that Re-Logic is actually considering them means the toy line must be more popular than I had anticipated.

EDIT: popular as in profitable, not reception wise.

ok here goes nothing

I'm glad Re-Logic is branching out a bit with the merchandise concepts, because Terraria really is a game with endless opportunities in that department. That said, I'm a bit concerned about the idea of "realistic" Terraria figures, not really because it's a bad idea, because it's not, but because I don't think it's the best way to represent the game. Like previously mentioned, there are so many great cartoony elements in Terraria's visual style, and I feel like it'd be a waste to not use them for potential new figures. So here I've drawn a sketch of how I'd design a Terraria toy.

merchdoodle.jpg

(not super refined but you get the idea)

What I've tried to express here is
- Shape - keep a sort of blocky approach to the characters, let them be stylized in shape and proportion so that they're clearly distinguishable from other figures on the market and easily identifiable as cartoonish Terraria characters - not just any armored fantasy peeps
- Well planned colour choices - balancing of warm / cold colours, different "layers" to convey visual depth in the character (here the deepest layer is black and the "topmost" that bright purplish pink. I should also mention that the bright green is just there for contrast, not an actual part of the character design)
- Making the character's gender ambiguous would also be a plus, to allow for individual interpretation

So those are my spontaneous thoughts and ideas

Last edited:
I believe that figurines would be successful if they hit at least Amiibo quality in detail. People really love little detailed collectibles.
On the other hand, action figures would work for the younger demographic.

I believe that figurines would be successful if they hit at least Amiibo quality in detail. People really love little detailed collectibles.
On the other hand, action figures would work for the younger demographic.
The younger demographic already have toys though.

Here's more cartoony fun examples.
902512-product-feature.jpg

902413-product-feature.jpg

Or more realistic version.
star-wars-captain-phasma-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902582-02.jpg

fallout-t-45-sixth-scale-threezero-902641-24.jpg

Sideshow Collectibles has figures I want but can't get.~:cry:Would buy a T-51 Power Armor.~:cry:

Hah, I'm a figure kinda guy. Though I'd like to see something along the lines of Nendoroids: Poseable with some degree of limb movement--maybe even swappable parts--but not designed for play.

YES! Now this is what I would preffer! The Jazzware toys I have nothing against, just too Minecraft-ish (I like Minecraft, I just preffer Terraria more). Something along the lines of this makes it more authentic, just perfect for decoration.

Back
Top Bottom