NPCs & Enemies New Town NPC: The Bard

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
I have a great idea for a town NPC. It isn't a silly or generic suggestion, so hear me out:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Town NPC: The Bard
bard-by-chadwick-png.108242

Appearence:
The Bard will be dressed in fine clothes and have a medium-length gray beard. He carries a lute.
(Thanks go to Chadwick9000 for the sprite!)

Spawn Requirements:
* Plantera must be defeated
* The player must be carrying 50
Gold_Coin.png

* Housing must be available.

Example Names: (Famous poets for the most part, with some random names thrown in)
- Homer
- Virgil
- Dante
- Byron
- Geoffrey
- Milton
- Ovid
- Mikael
- Richard
- Clarence
- Joseph
- William
- Leo

Self Defense: Since, as of 1.3, NPCs have a means of self defense, I though I should update this thread with consideration to the new feature. Upon confrontation with an enemy, the Bard will whip out his trusty lute and play a deadly chord, sending three musical note projectiles in a spread towards the attacker. These can penetrate twice and bounce once, but inflict relatively low knockback.

Function 1: Weapon Renaming
The Bard allows the player to take any weapon that has a modifier on it (i.e. legendary, superior, etc.) and rename it. Renaming an item does a number of things with it:
1. The item's name is changed to one provided by the player, and the modifier's prefix is removed.
2. The item's modified statistics become the base statistics of the newly named item. (The item can be reforged again, but not renamed again.)
3. The value of the item is altered according to the modifier's value plus an additional 20%.
4. The item gains a fixed tooltip. This tooltip is added below any tooltips that the weapon previously had, and reads: "The [X] [Y] wielded by [Z]."
X is the modifier that the weapon had before being renamed.
Y is the name of the weapon itself before being renamed.
Z is the name of the player who performed the renaming process.

5. In addition, Raze200 has suggested the possibility of adding a custom tooltip, which may be chosen by the player. This would be displayed above the others.

Of course, renaming an item isn't free. It costs twice the value of the item you are renaming, including the value of the modifier it has.

Having something like this in the game would really help players to express their individuality in more ways than just what they wear or what their house looks like. When combined with reforging, it also allows players to specialize their attack styles and battle strategies by allowing a weapon the equivalent of two modifiers.

Example:
Some Guy walks up to the Bard and renames his Godly Excalibur. He pays (approximately) 97
Gold_Coin.png
Silver_Coin.png
and calls it the "Maxcalibur" which now looks like this:

Excalibur.png

Maxcalibur
54 Damage
9% Critical strike chance
Fast Speed
Strong Knockback
*The Godly Excalibur wielded by Some Guy.

He still isn't satisfied, so he goes to the Goblin Tinkerer and reforges it a couple of times. He is finally satisfied when he gets a Murderous Maxcalibur:

Excalibur.png

Murderous Maxcalibur
58 Damage
12% Critical strike chance
Fast Speed
Strong Knockback
*The Godly Excalibur wielded by Some Guy.
+7% Damage
+4% Speed
+3% Critical strike chance

Function 2: Lore
Similar to the Guide's "Help" function, the Bard will give pieces of advice and hints as to finding the super-rare unique enemy drops for 1
Gold_Coin.png
apiece. This function is to point players in the general direction of a rare item, while also giving them an idea of what type of item it is.

I think having an in-game function like this is a good idea, so that players can legitimately find and acquire items without having to look at a wiki. Players who want to play the game fairly should have the same opportunity as anyone else to find awesome items, right?

Example Speech:
"Excellent! Now you can recount your most recent adventure! How does it begin? Oh, how about another time?"
"How do I know so much about all these things? Well, haven't you heard of reading?"
"My boy, you tell a great story. If I could find some change, I'd give you a few copper pieces..."
"Legend tells of a weapon of incredible power, and of a storyteller who will help a hero claim it from the jaws of death in epic adventure. For a price, of course."
"For FREE? I'm sorry, lad, but epic stories don't come with epic discounts."
Says about other NPCs
"I don't know about you, but I think that [Merchant] is after my job..."
"You know, I know things that even [Dryad] couldn't even dream of."
"I could really tell [Arms Dealer] a thing or two about mythical firearms. In fact..."
"I wish [Truffle] would tell me more about himself."
Other NPCs will say
Arms Dealer: "I wish [Bard] would stop trying to get me to buy his rumors. And I DON’T care that he knows where to find "all the best merchandise.""
Merchant: "Do you happen to know why [Bard] keeps giving me nasty looks?"
Painter: "[Bard] is such a brag. Next thing you know, he'll be telling me where to find a magic paintbrush!"
Lore
"They say that a weapon of the purest corruption lies locked in the heart of the dungeon. A warrior might want to try to unlock its secret..."
"I've heard that a powerful skeleton warrior dwells in the depths of the earth wielding a powerful enchanted sword…"
"There have been sightings of giant frost warriors roaming the frozen wastelands, but oddly they've only been seen during the thickest snow storms…"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Final words

To the Developers:
As you can see, I really thought this out a lot and would be thrilled if this was released with the next major update. I hope you take this request into consideration.

To Everyone:
Please comment and leave your ideas. If you like the idea, please let me know. If you too would like to see something like this in the game, show your support. If you think something should be changed or could be better, speak up and tell me. I wish everyone the best. And I thank anyone who took the time and read everything.

Last edited:
I love this idea! I just have one concern. You said that the new tooltip of a renamed item would say "The [X] [Y] wielded by [Z]." Does this mean that only the player that renamed the item could use it? I assume not, but then why mention the "wielder" of the item in the tooltip? What if, for example, I renamed an item and then gave it to another player as a gift? Then the item, though it would be used by Some Guy, would forever say that it is wielded by FosterTheGeese.

OR it could be changed to this.player. Too easy codewise.

In that case, then why mention it in the tooltip at all? Only the person with the item in their inventory can see the tooltip, and that person already knows that the item is theirs. I understand that the purpose is to personalize the item, but in my opinion, the renaming of the item is enough.

Last edited:
I love this idea! I just have one concern. You said that the new tooltip of a renamed item would say "The [X] [Y] wielded by [Z]." Does this mean that only the player that renamed the item could use it? I assume not, but then why mention the "wielder" of the item in the tooltip? What if, for example, I renamed an item and then gave it to another player as a gift? Then the item, though it would be used by Some Guy, would forever say that it is wielded by FosterTheGeese.
Excalibur is the legendary sword wielded by King Arthur. Someone else can pick it up and use it but it would still be Arthur's sword. (That's why I linked weapon renaming with the Bard. Lore stuffs.) Besides, that is more about property identification than anything else. If you have a really cool sword, having a tooltip with your player's name in it makes it feel that much more rewarding.

Could he also sell music boxes?
That would require giving him a whole inventory. It would be redundant if he just sold one item that another NPC is already selling. If anything, we would have to move the Wizard's Music Box, Harp, and Bell and just leave him with the more wizardy merchandise.

Excalibur is the legendary sword wielded by King Arthur. Someone else can pick it up and use it but it would still be Arthur's sword. (That's why I linked weapon renaming with the Bard. Lore stuffs.) Besides, that is more about property identification than anything else. If you have a really cool sword, having a tooltip with your player's name in it makes it feel that much more rewarding.

Ah, alright. Thank you for answering!

That would require giving him a whole inventory. It would be redundant if he just sold one item that another NPC is already selling. If anything, we would have to move the Wizard's Music Box, Harp, and Bell and just leave him with the more wizardy merchandise.
I like like that rework.

Very nice. Also, it would be nice if there was some way to get him to permanently dye your weapon for you.

Back
Top Bottom