Items New use for shortswords?

To yee, or not to yee, that is the question.

• Yee

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Not Yee

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Idk man

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ok, like always this is gonna be short and simple.

Why not have it so that shortswords can ignore all defense or armor? It makes sense since they are pointy and sharp.
I support this! There really isn't a purpose to their existence right now, so it would be a good way to make them decent for early game while not overpowered.

Why not have it so that shortswords can ignore all defense or armor? It makes sense since they are pointy and sharp.
We can either put shortswords here:
8eEdq8M.jpg
Or I agree with your idea, it'd be neato if it could get a nice buff like that... beginning of a stealth class? ;)

The fundamental design is just bad and they need to be removed from the game as a redundant and archaic feature.
Well... there's a reason there are no hardmode shortswords. (It's similar to the reason why there are no lunar drills: they're inferior). So even if shortswords did 3x the damage and ignored defence, they're still badly outclassed by anything from early hardmode.
If there were hardmode shortswords too, no range and no aiming still make them worthless. How will you hit most enemies and bosses if you can only poke in front of yourself? The Fetid Bagnakhs and similar weapons at least have autofire and DPS on their side.

I'm not against this proposed change, but I don't think the proposals would make shortswords viable either.

Well... there's a reason there are no hardmode shortswords. (It's similar to the reason why there are no lunar drills: they're inferior). So even if shortswords did 3x the damage and ignored defence, they're still badly outclassed by anything from early hardmode.
If there were hardmode shortswords too, no range and no aiming still make them worthless. How will you hit most enemies and bosses if you can only poke in front of yourself? The Fetid Bagnakhs and similar weapons at least have autofire and DPS on their side.

I'm not against this proposed change, but I don't think the proposals would make shortswords viable either.
-nod nod- Yep, the first thing I do in any play-through is make a wooden sword and never look back to short-swords.

I see hope yet for shortswords. If you make them 100x damage, inflicts every debuff in the game regardless of immunity, ignores all defense and can autoswig.

I think it wouldn't be about stats, it would be about function. The thing that makes shortswords boring is that they only work on less enemies than a normal sword and even then only achieve the same while being riskier to use, so you're just gonna use normal swords instead (possibly one that has autoswing which automatically outclasses the only advantage of shortswords), so make a weapon style that actually competes with normal swords in a way where none is largely better than the other.
If anything you could use having LONGswords instead, still only hitting straight forward but with longer range instead of shorter, with the downside of added swing animation startup like holding it behind and spinning it forward with a full swing horizontally, so it's big and strong but takes a moment to come out. And you could keep charging the swing for damage (while keeping movement) to be usable even on bosses and aerial enemies as you fly and sting. Almost sounds like katana iaido now.
You could rename shortswords into daggers and add a throwing feature to them, like if you charge-and-release, or alt-fire, or hold, you throw them so they can do both stabby-stabby after approaching or pelt away as a not-excellent but usable weapon, maybe a worse arc than a shuriken.
And then a new weapon style gets more spreaded as crafting options across the game.

Shortswords should just acts like tiny spear, or similar to arkhalis but slower. I'd love them to have a stupidly high crit chance too, as they are quite presice weapons.

honestly using a shortsword can be super satisfying and effective. the ability to combo enemies is really cool, especially into a crit with big knockback. just make them a bit more consistent.

make combos easier

- have the players vertical speed affect the stab angle a little, so the player can hit enemies while jumping.
- make knockback factor in the players vertical/horizontal speed, so that combo-ing while jumping/moving is easier.

finish combos with crits

- make knockback decrease whenever it would knock the enemy too far to keep hitting.
- make crits more powerful and common, maybe even guaranteed after 5 or so hits.

now you have a great dps weapon that synergies with mobility, but still sucks vs bosses.

Last edited:

Hello, I am planning to become a new terraria modder by the end of the year and I'm interested in the potential of this. If this is not implemented in the Journey's end update, then please join my discord: Join the Mod Ideas Discord Server! so we can stay in touch as I work on this. I swear this isn't a shameless promotion.

Back
Top Bottom