Resolved [Mobile] Newbie questions

ianpwilliams

Terrarian
I’ve only just started playing this game (and only on iOS) and I have a few questions if anyone can help?

Work benches, looms, furnaces, advanced work benches etc. - which ones do I need? All of them? Do advanced work benches cover everything that normal ones do or do I need both? They are a bit overwhelming.

I tried heading right and carrying on and I ended up in a dessert, and then a redder area. Should I avoid doing this too early? Are these areas harder? Should I be focusing on digging down first?

How do I get a handle on what items to keep or get rid of? Again it’s very overwhelming what I’ve alewady picked up, and the one chest I have is already nearly full.

Is it possible to make trapdoors in iOS version?

1. Your three basic and most useful stations are workbench, furnace and anvil. However place every stations u find because they are also useful. Advanced workbench is NOT an upgrade to a workbench.
2. Store everything you find. Everything becomes useful at some time. Pro tip: pick up every chest you find. Chests can be also crafted with iron and wood.
3. Snow and Desert are only a little bit harder than forest and they have better loot. For starters, Crimson (red area) is very dangerous.

I’ve only just started playing this game (and only on iOS) and I have a few questions if anyone can help?

Work benches, looms, furnaces, advanced work benches etc. - which ones do I need? All of them? Do advanced work benches cover everything that normal ones do or do I need both? They are a bit overwhelming.

I tried heading right and carrying on and I ended up in a dessert, and then a redder area. Should I avoid doing this too early? Are these areas harder? Should I be focusing on digging down first?

How do I get a handle on what items to keep or get rid of? Again it’s very overwhelming what I’ve alewady picked up, and the one chest I have is already nearly full.

Hi there Ian, welcome to the forums. I’ll try to answer some of your questions, and hopefully others will chime in with their experience as well.

You need them all. :) They allow you to craft different things, and do not overlap. Things crafted at a workbench will only be crafted there, and will not be craftable at a different crafting station.

A few exceptions happen with the furnace and the anvil. At a certain point in the game you’ll need a Hellforge. The Hellforge can then replace your original furnace. Later, you’ll use the Hellforge to create another higher tier Forge (keeping it vague in case you don’t want spoilers). The new Forge will replace your Hellforge. For the anvil, you’ll upgrade it once. Similar to the furnace, once you acquire the new anvil, you can replace your original anvil with it.

But every other crafting station will handle their own exclusive crafting recipes. You won’t necessarily need to use them all as some you’ll find craft very necessary items, and other crafting stations will craft incidental items that you may never want/need (like a special variant of furniture).

You’ll get differing opinions on this. Personally, I try to explore as much surface as possible. There will be surface chests that are (mostly) easily seen that can give you some good starter items. If I’m not strong enough to continue to the right, I’ll go as far as I can on the left. Once I find I’m not strong enough to go further on the surface, I’ll try to find a natural cave entrance and head underground.

How do I get a handle on what items to keep or get rid of? Again it’s very overwhelming what I’ve alewady picked up, and the one chest I have is already nearly full
At this point, try to keep everything. If you come across a chest, take everything out, then mine up the chest. The chest can’t be mined up if it has anything in it. Back at your spawn/base you can then place any chest you’ve found and drop everything in it (besides your weapon and pickaxe and what you need to keep on you to explore). You’ll do this for a bit and have many items in many chests, and you’ll come to know if there’s anything that you don’t want/need.

It can be overwhelming at the beginning, but it would be hard to say what you in particular don’t need. For instance, if you have a good sword and good bow you may not need to keep any shurikens you find and can trash/sell them. But if you’re in need of a ranged weapon, you may find shurikens are exactly what you need at that point in the game. Too many variables to give you a definite answer. :)

Not yet. Trapdoors came in the 1.3 update which mobile does not have yet. If you’re looking on the wiki (https://terraria.wiki.gg/) and see an item, you can scroll all the way down to see its History. If it was introduced in the 1.3 update, then mobile does not have it yet.

Great, thanks very much for the replies.

So I’ll build all the different types of crafting stations that I can for now.

If there are no trapdoors then is there another way to block off any holes that I’ve dug (I was digging down from inside my house)? It’s not a major issue if I can’t.

Also, does the world wrap around i.e. if I kept going in one direction and didn’t stop then would I eventually come back to my house?

Great, thanks very much for the replies.

So I’ll build all the different types of crafting stations that I can for now.

If there are no trapdoors then is there another way to block off any holes that I’ve dug (I was digging down from inside my house)? It’s not a major issue if I can’t.

Also, does the world wrap around i.e. if I kept going in one direction and didn’t stop then would I eventually come back to my house?
To block off any holes, you can simply put wood or dirt (or any other block) over the hole. That will seal it. If you’ll need access to it later, you can put wood platforms over it. That will allow you to walk over it, but also accesss it. By standing on platform (that’s at least two tiles wide) and pressing down, you can jump down the platform.

Worlds do not wrap. Once you get to the left side, there will be a point that you cannot walk any further left. Same for right side, up as well as down also.

Back
Top Bottom