tModLoader Nightmares Unleashed! Throwing weapons, bosses, minibosses, items, and more to come!

Alright, so I've just barely started playing with this mod and my thoughts so far:
kunai novices are a really, really lame enemy. They're meat walls that basically exist to put a barrier to entry on nighttime to anyone who doesn't have a bow. Having the short range attack is okay, that's not the problem. The problem is twofold. They're way too weak because they move so freaking slowly (and what's up with their walking animation? It looks kinda sloppy. Which is weird since what I've seen of the rest of the mod that's not usually the case) but they're also way too strong because one hundred and thirty five freaking hit points. That's a TON for an enemy encountered that early in the game. Also, the knockback immunity seems really poorly placed.

The antys are a pain in the neck for all the wrong reasons. They have defense that's just absolutely through the roof for early game levels. For an enemy you're supposed to kill in order to fight a pre-EoC boss, they're all but invincible unless you've got something that deals damage at an absurd pace to get in that death of a thousand cuts. And on top of that, I think their movement is bugged, because you'll be fighting them and suddenly they'll zip halfway across the screen and then barrel into you with no way to stop them. The regular antys basically teleport. They LOOK like they're supposed to be mini versions of the antlion chargers and swarmers but they do not act like it. They act like upgraded versions. AND they don't drop anything. Not even money. That's just insult to injury man.

So, in short, my thoughts on the earlygame enemies:
kunai novices: have too much health, move too slowly, remove knockback resist.
antys: have too much defense, move too fast, add drops of some kind.

Also, I've killed something like 40 antys total and the antlion queen still hasn't spawned, what's up with that?

Your feedback is noted and greatly appreciated. I'll make these guys much more fun to fight for the next update! (And make them more balanced)

I completely agree with this post, and to add to it, when flying around with early wings from another mod, i found a kunai novice... DRIFTING down to earth slower then a person holding space after using up all their wing power.

Kunai novice's deal a lot of damage as well though, so my reccomendation would be to lower their damage, up their speed, and maybe alter the ai so that while trying to fight them they move quicker but try to leap over you to avoid attacks at close range. also possibly lower their defence, the anty's definitely need their defence and possibly attack lowered, and i haven't encountered enough to be able to spawn the queen, at the stage of the game the queen is, it would be completely alright if it was to spawn more frequently from killing anty's later game as then it would be more of a mini boss then a regular boss.

I believe the Queen isn't spawning naturally right now due to a bug, but all the feedback is noted! Anty's will get their defense reduced and Kunai Novices just need a total do-over. The next update should be pretty promising!
[doublepost=1506192396,1506192308][/doublepost]
Alright, update on my playthrough, the antlion queen spawns antys WAY too fast, as it is, the antlion queen fight is basically impossible pre EoC without certain modded items.

EDIT: Okay, not basically impossible. basically impossible to fight without cheesing it. It just boxed myself into a thing too small for the Antys to get into and then summoning a minion outside of the box and waited for the antlion queen to die. That seemed to do the trick.
Still though.

Noted! It sounds like some of my *very* early monsters need some tweaks, so that'll for sure happen in the next update!

Killing Clampula does not trigger completion on the boss checklist mod.

Okay, thank you! It'll be fixed for the next update.

The next UPDATE looks very promising!Expert mobs deal Too many damage:Example.I have got 50 defence,and Mother spitter dealed 101 damage...(Not only M.S.Ichor blaster,Gimmimik(150 damage in solar armor+6 warding shield accessories.For some reason Antlion queen don't drop antlion food(I killed 8-10 queens)In mod left items from deleted bosses like drone signal,soul of bite etc.Even blue creeper(Membrane helper)I hope this information will help you:dryadhappy::dryadhappy::dryadhappy:

Your feedback is noted and greatly appreciated. I'll make these guys much more fun to fight for the next update! (And make them more balanced)

I believe the Queen isn't spawning naturally right now due to a bug, but all the feedback is noted! Anty's will get their defense reduced and Kunai Novices just need a total do-over. The next update should be pretty promising!
[doublepost=1506192396,1506192308][/doublepost]

Noted! It sounds like some of my *very* early monsters need some tweaks, so that'll for sure happen in the next update!

Okay, thank you! It'll be fixed for the next update.
as a bit of a heads up for some reason i was... unable to make the golden clam? it didn't list a crafting station when i looked at it in the recipe browser. i had all the ingredients according to the recipe browser.

Some more bugs-In boss list goblin king pre-A.Q when in game he is post EoW,Golden clam and Sandylion uncraftable(i think it is because they have no crafting stations)Martian saucer can't drop Martian core,Bosschecklist Behemoth description broken,Bosses don't have map icons.Void Marshall wormhole kills hostile mobs(It killed Terra lord and Magiсal cube in few seconds!)Can you add boss masks please.Ichor blaster tentackle have...400 dmg(Big number for pre mecha boss)Behemoth 190(Maybe decrease to 170?)Gimimmick 240(Maybe decrease to 160?)Incarnation 320(Very big number for boss minion)And deleate Kunai novices defense,and fix bug hen it floats down slowly from top of the screen.All bugs that i remember.I hope this will help you.

Some more bugs-In boss list goblin king pre-A.Q when in game he is post EoW,Golden clam and Sandylion uncraftable(i think it is because they have no crafting stations)Martian saucer can't drop Martian core,Bosschecklist Behemoth description broken,Bosses don't have map icons.Void Marshall wormhole kills hostile mobs(It killed Terra lord and Magiсal cube in few seconds!)Can you add boss masks please.Ichor blaster tentackle have...400 dmg(Big number for pre mecha boss)Behemoth 190(Maybe decrease to 170?)Gimimmick 240(Maybe decrease to 160?)Incarnation 320(Very big number for boss minion)And deleate Kunai novices defense,and fix bug hen it floats down slowly from top of the screen.All bugs that i remember.I hope this will help you.

Thank you for your list! I will try to address all of the bugs for the next update.
as a bit of a heads up for some reason i was... unable to make the golden clam? it didn't list a crafting station when i looked at it in the recipe browser. i had all the ingredients according to the recipe browser.
Yeah, the crafting issues are strange with the Golden Clam and Sandylion but they will for sure be fixed for next update!

its planned one on the next update theres a screeenshot on pag 21 check it out.
Okay i will try the corruption boss...its probably gonna be easy since im almost post plantera

How do i get an ichor gland? It says on boss checklist you need an ichor gland for both of them... Maybe its just boss checklist.

Last edited:
Okay i will try the corruption boss...its probably gonna be easy since im almost post plantera

How do i get an ichor gland? It says on boss checklist you need an ichor gland for both of them... Maybe its just boss checklist.
There's only one enemy that fires ichor ;) And the corruption boss is a bit easy as of right now but the next update will fully flush it out with new weapons and everything!

The boss checklist puts the antlion queen between scarabeus and the grand thunderbird as the second easiest boss which is fine it wasn't that hard. However the loot it drops is well above anything at that level. The summoning item provided far more damage than the items from those other mods bosses and the vanilla slime staff (keep in mind the easiest way to get that is the slime king which is rated harder than this). The accessory gives you 3! additional minions well above any other single accessory and each piece of the armour gives you even more minions while having defence just a little lower than meteor armour. Essentially you can farm the antlion queen and then go beat the wall of flesh.
All of its drops need to be nerfed to put it in line with other content at that level.

The boss checklist puts the antlion queen between scarabeus and the grand thunderbird as the second easiest boss which is fine it wasn't that hard. However the loot it drops is well above anything at that level. The summoning item provided far more damage than the items from those other mods bosses and the vanilla slime staff (keep in mind the easiest way to get that is the slime king which is rated harder than this). The accessory gives you 3! additional minions well above any other single accessory and each piece of the armour gives you even more minions while having defence just a little lower than meteor armour. Essentially you can farm the antlion queen and then go beat the wall of flesh.
All of its drops need to be nerfed to put it in line with other content at that level.
It sure sounds like I do! Consider it nerfed for the next update. :) Other than that, how's everything else so far?

Alright, back with more news.

Kunai Novice, Antlion Queen and antys are all a-okay now.

I've gotten to Clampula and the Mama Spitter though, and I have to say I'm not too impressed with them as they are right now. Clampula just feels like a more boring version of the King Slime fight, jumping around and not really doing much to be challenging or unique, while the Mama Spitter 1. is a bit too weak, and 2. makes little sense in its attack pattern.

I'll focus here on Mama Spitter since that's one that can be delved into more deeply beyond "flesh out this boss's abilities more pl0x".
I'm able to kill it under a minute with just a minishark and superball bullets from Calamity, which are 2 damage higher than meteor shot and have extra rebound properties, nothing enough to significantly boost my DPS from what it would be with just the minishark, and the little minions its supposed to have die so quickly to my minions I don't even get to see what they look like. Oh yeah, and it's damage is kinda pitiful.
Anyways, Mama Spitter's AI: From what I've gotten it does three things. It either hops around to wards you slowly, which is fine (needs a better animation for that if possible though) hops towards you really fast (which needs to be slowed down. the faster hops are almost impossible to avoid) and spawns new thingies (which is fine.)
I'd perhaps give the mama spitter a ranged attack of some kind? Perhaps a lobbing one? And also making the hops seem less random.

Also, the Mama Spitter has an ugly sprite. It was sorta jarring when I came up against the Mama spitter and, completely unlike everything else from NU I've encountered so far, it doesn't feel good. The animation is clunky, the sprite is ugly, it just doesn't match up to the quality I've come to expect from this mod.

Anyways, good potential here, just stuff to go back and work on.

Clampula spawned right on top of me when I summoned it every time. I had a goblin invasion while I was in the crimson cave, the king spawned in a small side cave, hopped around a bit then fell through the Earth. Maybe that one works better on the surface though his listing on the boss checklist should be right after the eater/brain not at the very top of the list.
The spitter needs a buff on its babies. As it is it just flails around a bit and occasionally plops out little spitters which die in seconds. The fight would work better if it and the spitters had a health buff and instead of sending them at you they were instead launched behind itself. The mini spitters would act as turrets while at the same time living up to its theme of a mother protecting its young.
The grand harpy could use a health buff since its always right on top of you, you won't be missing much. Also why does the grand harpy have two summoning items which do the exact same thing?

Back
Top Bottom