tModLoader Nightmares Unleashed! Throwing weapons, bosses, minibosses, items, and more to come!

Clampula spawned right on top of me when I summoned it every time. I had a goblin invasion while I was in the crimson cave, the king spawned in a small side cave, hopped around a bit then fell through the Earth. Maybe that one works better on the surface though his listing on the boss checklist should be right after the eater/brain not at the very top of the list.
The spitter needs a buff on its babies. As it is it just flails around a bit and occasionally plops out little spitters which die in seconds. The fight would work better if it and the spitters had a health buff and instead of sending them at you they were instead launched behind itself. The mini spitters would act as turrets while at the same time living up to its theme of a mother protecting its young.
The grand harpy could use a health buff since its always right on top of you, you won't be missing much. Also why does the grand harpy have two summoning items which do the exact same thing?
Grand Harpy?But Grand Harpy from Sacred tools.

Also, Mama Spitter needs more stuff from her spitter fangs. A single staff, pickaxe, and a subpar hamaxe isn't really that great.

Alright, back with more news.

Kunai Novice, Antlion Queen and antys are all a-okay now.

I've gotten to Clampula and the Mama Spitter though, and I have to say I'm not too impressed with them as they are right now. Clampula just feels like a more boring version of the King Slime fight, jumping around and not really doing much to be challenging or unique, while the Mama Spitter 1. is a bit too weak, and 2. makes little sense in its attack pattern.

I'll focus here on Mama Spitter since that's one that can be delved into more deeply beyond "flesh out this boss's abilities more pl0x".
I'm able to kill it under a minute with just a minishark and superball bullets from Calamity, which are 2 damage higher than meteor shot and have extra rebound properties, nothing enough to significantly boost my DPS from what it would be with just the minishark, and the little minions its supposed to have die so quickly to my minions I don't even get to see what they look like. Oh yeah, and it's damage is kinda pitiful.
Anyways, Mama Spitter's AI: From what I've gotten it does three things. It either hops around to wards you slowly, which is fine (needs a better animation for that if possible though) hops towards you really fast (which needs to be slowed down. the faster hops are almost impossible to avoid) and spawns new thingies (which is fine.)
I'd perhaps give the mama spitter a ranged attack of some kind? Perhaps a lobbing one? And also making the hops seem less random.

Also, the Mama Spitter has an ugly sprite. It was sorta jarring when I came up against the Mama spitter and, completely unlike everything else from NU I've encountered so far, it doesn't feel good. The animation is clunky, the sprite is ugly, it just doesn't match up to the quality I've come to expect from this mod.

Anyways, good potential here, just stuff to go back and work on.

Thank you for the feedback, it's great! Mama Spitter was an earlier boss from when I was still getting the hang of modding terraria, so it's polish level is a little less. I'll honestly probably resprite, redesign and redo the mama spitter so she's a more enjoyable and fun fight! Any thoughts on how I could possibly improve Clampula?

Also, Mama Spitter needs more stuff from her spitter fangs. A single staff, pickaxe, and a subpar hamaxe isn't really that great.

Agreed, I shall have a revamped mama spitter as well as Grasper for the next update! ;)

Hmm... giving Clampula a more diverse move set is really most of what needs doing. Not 100% certain what the best stuff for that would be (perhaps stuff relating to the omniscient pearl?) but maybe giving it some kind of projectile attack or a variant to its contact damage efforts.

Oh! And the Omniscient pearl drop needs more craftables for it. It's rather useless as of right now.

Hmm... giving Clampula a more diverse move set is really most of what needs doing. Not 100% certain what the best stuff for that would be (perhaps stuff relating to the omniscient pearl?) but maybe giving it some kind of projectile attack or a variant to its contact damage efforts.

Oh! And the Omniscient pearl drop needs more craftables for it. It's rather useless as of right now.
The Omniscient Pearl will get more drops with the next update I assure you, my plans are revamping Mama Spitter, improving Clampula and the Grasper (Adding a second phase), and then any bugs I can find. :D
Assuming you keep Clampula trying to crush the player maybe a ranged attack which slows the player down.
Okay, I think a farther ranged attack where clampula pauses it's jumping assault would be a nice addition.

Thanks for the help you two! :D

Kittenite needs to be overhauled. In the twenty hours of playtime since installation I've found two patches of it giving me a total of 8 kittenite however I need 45 to make the armour set. You could let all those nebula/vortex/stardust fragments around it be converted to kittenite, massively reduce the number required or give the player an alternate method of acquiring it. I also think kittenite gear should be buffed since these patches are incredibly rare.

Also I summoned the void marshall during the day, he appeared then instantly dropped off screen and died.

How does the Behemoth fight work? I summoned it and it rolled towards me growing huge then it shrunk back down and seemingly lost 90% of its health in the process.

Last edited:
Kittenite needs to be overhauled. In the twenty hours of playtime since installation I've found two patches of it giving me a total of 8 kittenite however I need 45 to make the armour set. You could let all those nebula/vortex/stardust fragments around it be converted to kittenite, massively reduce the number required or give the player an alternate method of acquiring it. I also think kittenite gear should be buffed since these patches are incredibly rare.

Also I summoned the void marshall during the day, he appeared then instantly dropped off screen and died.

How does the Behemoth fight work? I summoned it and it rolled towards me growing huge then it shrunk back down and seemingly lost 90% of its health in the process.
That's very strange that the Void Marshall did that. I'll look at his code to figure out what went wrong there.

When the behemoth shrinks it spawns 1-3 clones of itself around it with roughly a third of it's health.

Kittenite is a bit more common than that I'd like to think, it generates between 6 and 12 patches per world with each patch giving about 6-8. There may be somethin going on with it but I'll look into it more. I promise you though, Kittenite is getting a good expansion soon ;)

I have a request. Could the OP of the thread be updated? It'd be nice to be able to have a bit more information about stuff that's going on in the mod.

There is a wikia under construction currently, I'm just incredibly busy so it tends to slip my mind but I will try to get it done for you! nightmares-unleashed.wikia.com

Alright, so, Ichor Blaster: Not cool. Dealing 150 damage at a shot WITH tier-appropriate gear on is... just not cool. Especially since the bugger has 30K health.

All in all, this looked like a very promising mod, but I just keep running into things that just aren't very well balanced at all. I think I'm going to have to take this mod off of my roster for the time being.

Alright, so, Ichor Blaster: Not cool. Dealing 150 damage at a shot WITH tier-appropriate gear on is... just not cool. Especially since the bugger has 30K health.

All in all, this looked like a very promising mod, but I just keep running into things that just aren't very well balanced at all. I think I'm going to have to take this mod off of my roster for the time being.
I respect your decision, hopefully you'll come back in the future! The idea with this one is that it's a pretty predictable boss fight so the hits you do take are punishing, but it shall be balanced next update.
Is it possible to do a full throwing run with this mod?
It *should* be, right now it's a bit underflushed in early hardmode and I haven't tried but it quite possibly might be. I have armor for cobalt - chlorophite for throwers as well as a weapon for them, but I do plan on adding more thrown weapons.

Say, is it possible to have a version of this mod where yoyos are still melee? I really like my modded yoyos and have a primarily melee setup.

Is it possible you could make a toggle based item to change yoyo to melee instead of having an item to take up the accessory slot?

Back
Top Bottom