TCF Suggestion No Desktop prefix?

Cyanopsia

King Slime
It seems that TCF doesn't have a prefix for desktop (Mac, PC, and Linux in general). Since the Mac/Linux version has been released, the features are all the same as PC, so if you wanted to make a suggestion for improvements to 1.3 features, there wouldn't be a prefix to describe every version that is played on a computer.

I think they should split the "PC" prefix into "Windows", "Mac" and "Linux" prefixes, as there's some problems with dividing them (Linux is still PC, while Mac is technically not)

I think they should split the "PC" prefix into "Windows", "Mac" and "Linux" prefixes, as there's some problems with dividing them (Linux is still PC, while Mac is technically not)
Yeah, I agree. it doesn't make sense to have a prefix that can represent a version that already has a prefix. While most people will understand, it's just the little things that make the big things better.

While I agree with separating "PC" into the three major components, "Windows," "Mac," and "Linux," I want to question the "Linux is still PC" statement.

First, I'm wondering on your definition of "PC." For one, it's practically universally accepted (end of first paragraph) that the term "PC" refers to "Wintel" which is a funny way of saying "A machine that runs windows and uses intel technology."

HOWEVER, lets say you're using the definition wikipedia gives for "Personal computer"
wikipedia said:
A personal computer is a general-purpose computer whose size, capabilities and original sale price make it useful for individuals, and is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator.

Well, to me, that says that a PC is a basic machine designed for your typical consumer. Correct me if I'm wrong. That would mean that certain OSes like Windows and Mac fit that definition quite well. Macs were probably designed to be for the stereotypical iPhone user (not "the tech wizard," only cares about looks-- I mean, who wouldn't care about looks, but that's not all there is to a computer-- etc.). Windows also fits that definition well too, but I feel that windows allows for a bit more leniency towards the more sysadmin-type people.

Then comes linux. I imagine linux as more of a "category" in a case like this. There really isn't any one "linux" so saying linux does or does not fit as a PC is really kinda silly. Some flavors of linux, Ubuntu comes to mind first, are a lot like Mac (which, iirc, is also linux but idk) and are designed for typical people who aren't all that into technological stuff, while there are other versions of linux made with the sysadmin in mind, I wouldn't know any versions of linux like this, but I bet you could find one by googling.

tl;dr Windows is usually referred to as PC, but if you use another definition, then Mac, Windows, and some flavors of Linux fit "Personal Computer" while other things don't.

Back
Top Bottom