Game Mechanics No naturally spawning bosses/invasions

Paige

Pixel Pirate
Some people, like me, enjoy taking their time when building houses and such. The other day I was building a rather large house on a new world, but it was so large and rather unfinished that Zombies and Demon Eyes kept interrupting my work. I decided that I wanted to get some better weapons to fend them off. So I decided to go to my local demon vault and break some orbs. I got what I wanted, the Vilethorn, but I was unhappy when I got invaded by Blood Moons and a Goblin Army when still trying to complete my house. This forcing players to get past obstacles that they may not want to get past just yet is quite uncalled for. There is no point, it's not like someone is going to have an advantage by not getting past them as fast as possible.

So, I propose these "natural" boss spawnings and invasions get removed. There was something else I had thought of but it fled my mind due to a lot of loud children in my house.

Edit: Oh yes, I remember now. On the topic of blood moons, should they be random or should there be a way of summoning them? I like the idea of them being random, but that creates the issue of them either arriving when unwanted, or not arriving when wanted. So, I thing there should either be a setting to set them as random, or to make them summonable. They could be summoned by an item called "Blood/Corrupt Sacrifice, depending on whether or not the world has Corruption or Crimson. Made from 5 Fallen Stars, 5 Vertebrae/Rotten Flesh, and 5 Feathers. Summons a Blood Moon. Now that's a bit of work for just a simple Blood Moon. This is why I propose the Blood Moon add special enemies that drop new items.

New enemies: Blood/Corrupt Harpies. Drops: Blood/Corrupt Feathers (1-3).

New items: Blood/Corrupt Wings. Crafted from 15 Blood/Corrupt Feathers and 15 Rotten Flesh/Vertebrae. Rather than being an accessory, these items are a way to fly in early game. The way they are used is you put them in your hot bar, rapidly clicking to fly, but flight is very slow and you can only fly about 25 blocks high.

May sprite later, comment if you want to see sprites.

Last edited:
So you're proposing that one of the biggest sources of player income in that stage of the game are to be removed, let alone several unique items that can be gained from them?

Well, I'm not supporting that.

Some people, like me, enjoy taking their time when building houses and such. The other day I was building a rather large house on a new world, but it was so large and rather unfinished that Zombies and Demon Eyes kept interrupting my work. I decided that I wanted to get some better weapons to fend them off. So I decided to go to my local demon vault and break some orbs. I got what I wanted, the Vilethorn, but I was unhappy when I got invaded by Blood Moons and a Goblin Army when still trying to complete my house. This forcing players to get past obstacles that they may not want to get past just yet is quite uncalled for. There is no point, it's not like someone is going to have an advantage by not getting past them as fast as possible.

So, I propose these "natural" boss spawnings and invasions get removed. There was something else I had thought of but it fled my mind due to a lot of loud children in my house.
So, what you're saying, is that bosses shouldn't be bosses, and that I won't fight Ganondorf at the end of the Legend of Zelda because I don't want to.

What would the point of a boss fight be if you didn't have to fight them while underpowered? Then they wouldn't be much of a challenge. In fact, pretty sure the whole point of the invasions is so that they can randomly appear and 'rek' you.

If you enjoy your time building houses, start a new world not in hardmode(or break any orbs), get a minion to defend for you, and... you should be able to build in relative peace.

So you're proposing that one of the biggest sources of player income in that stage of the game are to be removed, let alone several unique items that can be gained from them?

Well, I'm not supporting that.
Uh, no, not removed entirely, sorry if you got that idea.
So, what you're saying, is that bosses shouldn't be bosses, and that I won't fight Ganondorf at the end of the Legend of Zelda because I don't want to.

What would the point of a boss fight be if you didn't have to fight them while underpowered? Then they wouldn't be much of a challenge. In fact, pretty sure the whole point of the invasions is so that they can randomly appear and 'rek' you.

That's why I proposed a setting to change it. Even if you have to "gear up" there's only so much gear you can get before the bosses appear.
Edit: Before you fight the bosses, not before they appear.[DOUBLEPOST=1413848371][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you enjoy your time building houses, start a new world not in hardmode(or break any orbs), get a minion to defend for you, and... you should be able to build in relative peace.
I don't enjoy cheating, and as far as I know there are no easily acquirable early game minions.

Just don't break orbs in building worlds. Same goes with killing WoF. If you try to progress, the world will try to make you progress. If you don't try to progress, it will leave you alone 'cept for the first EoC and the occasional blood moon, which you could just place torches next to your doors so zombies can't open them. Goblins will only bother you if you have a shadow orb or demon heart smashed, so let those be.

i dont really support this, because sometimes its really helpful for a boss to spawn when you cant get the mats to make a boss spawner for it, and it does keep me on edge when a make a new char

There are some aspects of this that I agree with and some that I don't- yes, Blood Moons and random invasions can get really irritating, especially goblin invasions because noclip projectiles- HOWEVER, that doesn't change the intended purpose of the randomness. Yes, the random boss spawns in hardmode is pretty annoying, but it's hilariously easy to deal with them- make your way a decent distance away from your house prior to them spawning and mirror back (NOTE: Does not work for the Destroyer, it will literally chase you down to the ends of the earth) and they should despawn assuming you went far enough. As well, none of them will ever spawn if you're underground, essentially making the only ones that are actually threats the Blood Moon and the Eclipse, which nullify NPC spawn protection. Trust me, you do not want to stick around if you built your base in Underground Hallow- Chaos Elementals will slaughter your NPCs. Underground Corruption and Crimson are almost as bad, though at least they don't have teleporting jerks that you can't predict.

More importantly though, no one is going to agree to straight-up removing the random spawning. It basically prevents players from ending up in the whole "I want to fight the boss but I don't want to" scenario where you end up stuck at pre-mech because you're too reluctant to try fighting- trust me, that's actually a real thing. Not everyone is as cocky as me, AKA the guy who will charge into a boss fight regardless of whether or not he's completely outmatched. Basically it forces the player to take on the mechs at SOME POINT instead of being stuck in a point in progression where they might simply be too damn nervous (and I wouldn't blame them) to try taking on the mechs. This is how I used to be with the Twins, in fact- bane of my existence right there. Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge.

HOWEVER. For Hardmode characters the random appearances can be tantamount to a death sentence if you're unprepared. If you are on hardcore and a Destroyer gets auto-summoned, you are basically :red:ed unless you somehow manage to camp somewhere where it can't hit you and wait out the night or happen to be underground at the time. There is no other way to avoid it for some dumb reason.

I am personally of the opinion that hardmode mech bosses should not auto-spawn until at least one player in the world has at least tier 8 (that'd be Mythril/Orichalcum) gear, be it armor, weapons, or tools. Or some condition like that- because I have had mech bosses spawn within the first few days of Hardmode, which for most people is not nearly enough time to adequately prepare to face any mech. (I'm a more experienced player so I could probably take down a Destroyer with tier 6 equipment (Hellstone) assuming conditions are completely ideal, however not everyone can do that.)

TL;DR: No support unless the proposition is changed to something more ideal, like the conditional setup above. (And for the record, Snickerbobble is indeed right- if you don't want interruptions while building, don't do anything that would provoke said interruptions. That one's on you.)

It's pretty obvious that the problem isn't the random invasions, it's you breaking shadow orbs, which are a catalyst for goblin invasions; all you need to fend off zombies and eyes is a spear, or anything that can swing or shoot, anyway.

How about world options before it's created? Choosing if bosses spawn randomly before killed, crimson/corruption, dungeon type and a completely random option?

Back
Top Bottom