No sound 1.3+

ZeroSama

Terrarian
Ever since the update to 1.3 the game plays no sound, i have no interface issues (audio sliders and such).
none of the audio devices I own seem to work with the game (Built in/Razer Kraken 7.1).
I'm visually Impaired so sound is very important to my experience.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled the game several times in the hopes it was an installation problem to no avail.
any suggestions?

Edit: also want to point out I've had this issue since before I did the upgrade to windows 10, previously Windows 8.1

I had the same issue and what worked for me is doing next:
  • Go to Device Manager.
  • Go to Audio Inputs and Outputs.
  • Right click on both Microphone and Speakers and select Update Driver Software.
  • Restart your computer, and the problem should be fixed.
I've tried couple of more things, but they didn't work for me personally, so if this doesn't work for you, let me know here, and I can tell you some other methods.

Already running the latest drivers for my headset.
I have also tried to change the audio frequency from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz as suggested in another post.
uninstalling and reinstalling the XNA framework (No longer being updated by Microsoft) also suggested in another post.

Last edited:
Some other things to try:
  • Are the sound sliders higher than 0% in-game?
  • Has Terraria been muted? (Start Terraria and minimise it. Click the Volume icon in the system tray, then click Mixer. In the "Applications" list, make sure Terraria is not muted. May not be applicable to Windows 10; I vaguely recall this was removed.)
  • I've also read that deleting the config file might help with settings problems.
Also make sure the computer is recognising the speakers / headphones. I assume from your post that it is; perhaps try something else and see if sound works there? That will narrow it down to a Terraria problem instead of a system problem.

Sound is working perfectly for everything except Terraria nor is it muted

Edit: this is not a settings problem, all setting remember values between instances

Last edited:
I would recommend making a post in the Tech Support section for this. :) They usually have pretty good recommendations for this sort of thing. I can move the thread there if you like.

I'm not the most tech savvy person myself, mostly just look into finding bugs, so if this is related to your computer specs in any way, this section would probably be able to figure it out better than I can. Good luck! :)

So I noticed something interesting in another game which I think uses the XNA framework (Fez) on Windows 8.1. The audio output the program uses depends on what was the default when the program was started.
On Windows 8.1, I started Terraria, then plugged in my headphones. But the Windows volume control indicated Terraria was still using the speakers and it refused to use the headphones. Only by plugging in the headphones and then starting Terraria would Terraria use the headphones.

@ZeroSama, does this sound like your issue? Does the above help you fix it?

I don't think this is a Terraria issue, per se... maybe something to with the XNA framework, Windows 8+ or the audio hardware. I don't have this problem with another computer running Windows 7.

(I like making lame puns. :))

I have the same problem same headphones. Love the headphones for other games but this makes skpeing and playing a real pain

The only thing I will add to this is...
  • When switching between Headphones and Speakers
    • Speakers will remain in use, terraria will not change to the device if windows automatically changes your default communications device or audio device.
  • You have to restart the game in order for the game to detect and use your new audio output.

So I figured it out. I had to plug my headphones into the mother board rather then the front USB ports. Not really sure why it works, but it does

I had the exact same issue with the exact same headset(razer kraken 7.1) and found the cause and fix.

The Razer Synapse app that you install with the headphones has its own mixer in it. At some point i muted the game from windows 10 and it appears to have muted it in the Synapse app mixer but didn't unmute the next time i used it.

To fix it:
1. open the razer synapse app when your headphones are plugged in
2. click the 'mixer' tab
3. run terraria - it should then show up in the applications section of the Synapse app mixer and will have the mute icon below the volume meter
4. uncheck the mute icon and click back in the game - you should now have sound.

Hope this helps and thanks to all other posters, your comments lead me to find this app mixer.

I had the exact same issue with the exact same headset(razer kraken 7.1) and found the cause and fix.

The Razer Synapse app that you install with the headphones has its own mixer in it. At some point i muted the game from windows 10 and it appears to have muted it in the Synapse app mixer but didn't unmute the next time i used it.

To fix it:
1. open the razer synapse app when your headphones are plugged in
2. click the 'mixer' tab
3. run terraria - it should then show up in the applications section of the Synapse app mixer and will have the mute icon below the volume meter
4. uncheck the mute icon and click back in the game - you should now have sound.

Hope this helps and thanks to all other posters, your comments lead me to find this app mixer.
This thread is a year old.

Also I think it'd be pretty obvious that the first step to trying to figure out why the sound is muted would be to try and unmute it.

This thread is a year old.

Also I think it'd be pretty obvious that the first step to trying to figure out why the sound is muted would be to try and unmute it.

It may be old but my Google search still brought me here and will likely bring others here.

Obviously you didn't read or understand what my reply explained as it was not as simple as 'try and unmute it.'

Thanks for the reply though, I'm glad someone has already seen it despite the age of the thread.

I kinda have this problem except it's an issue with sound output from certain other applications.
basically what happens is when im playing terraria and then unplug my earbuds and plug it in to my speaker, only terraria plays sound and then i have to restart my computer to get the sound working again. i dont wanna have to restart my computer, or have it happen at all but is there at least a way to fix this that doesnt have to be restarting my computer?

edit: wondering if i should make a seperate post for this

I kinda have this problem except it's an issue with sound output from certain other applications.
basically what happens is when im playing terraria and then unplug my earbuds and plug it in to my speaker, only terraria plays sound and then i have to restart my computer to get the sound working again. i dont wanna have to restart my computer, or have it happen at all but is there at least a way to fix this that doesnt have to be restarting my computer?

edit: wondering if i should make a seperate post for this

I had faced pretty same issue when I was using unreliable earbuds.

Back
Top Bottom