No Wood Boxes: A Building Guide

For as wide as that is, I take it you want a ovular, not a circular, dome. I'd mark the max limit on the hight you want to go to, and make a diagonal line between that point and where you want the curve to stop. Start filling it out, remember, you will start with large, and reduce to small, lines. So a 5-4-3-3-2-2-1-1-1-2-3-4-5 or something for distances for the 1 down for every X over, then 1 over for every X down after the 1s. I'd actually have to do it in game to give you the exact numbers though, those that I listed were only a guess without me even checking how it would look based on the design you have.

Last edited:
Thanks. My hubby told me something similar (I think- I'm truly terrible at math and angles lol). He said, instead of going up, as I was, to go over. Instead of 3 up, 1 over- go 3 over and 1 up.
By that point in time though, I had become impatient to finish and kept a more sloped look and filled the top with alternating topaz blocks (topaz wall/topaz offline wall). It sort of looks like a beehive which is kind of neat.
I might tear it down and start the top over though. Then again, I might scratch the whole thing. I rarely ever get any bugs :mad:

Tito, are you looking for personal inspiration or hoping to inspire others? To find it, refine your search. Are you really a builder (I am a total noob here, so please forgive if that's a silly question). Maybe building just isn't your thing? If you are, what do you want to build? I spent a week looking at pics and youtubes of living tree homes while trying to build my own (I never did finish it either, before moving on to a separate world because Skeletron in Expert was killing and frustrating me to the max).

As to HOW to inspire? Don't really know that one :p Maybe host a multiplayer game and get people involved in a group effort?

Thanks. My hubby told me something similar (I think- I'm truly terrible at math and angles lol). He said, instead of going up, as I was, to go over. Instead of 3 up, 1 over- go 3 over and 1 up.
By that point in time though, I had become impatient to finish and kept a more sloped look and filled the top with alternating topaz blocks (topaz wall/topaz offline wall). It sort of looks like a beehive which is kind of neat.
I might tear it down and start the top over though. Then again, I might scratch the whole thing. I rarely ever get any bugs :mad:

Tito, are you looking for personal inspiration or hoping to inspire others? To find it, refine your search. Are you really a builder (I am a total noob here, so please forgive if that's a silly question). Maybe building just isn't your thing? If you are, what do you want to build? I spent a week looking at pics and youtubes of living tree homes while trying to build my own (I never did finish it either, before moving on to a separate world because Skeletron in Expert was killing and frustrating me to the max).

As to HOW to inspire? Don't really know that one :p Maybe host a multiplayer game and get people involved in a group effort?

Did you check my Living Tree WIP I had on roughly the 3rd page? I'd honestly say that for a truly "genuine" look I'd probably have the best for Tree of Life type of design I've seen so far out of Terraria (not me trying to brag, sorry if it is coming off that way. I've just never actually seen a good Livingwood tree yet from anyone else). Probably if I ever go back to it or make a new one, I'll use waterfalls + pools of water around the base to amp that nature of it a bit.

I saw that (and just went back to look again :D ) It is rather impressive. I want something a bit more simple- with rooms on the branches and not so much the inside of the tree itself.
My problems with trees are: I just can't get the top of the tree right; and I'm a symmetry addict. Everything has to be precise and even... but when dealing with a tree, you need to mix things up or it just looks phony.

Here is how I dealt with my domed structure. It's a mish mash of steps and angles basically.

Attachments

• Capture 2015-07-11 16_27_21.png
    Capture 2015-07-11 16_27_21.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,530
Looks good for that stage of the game. I'd add a few (not many) vertical pillars though to offer roof support in the design. IIRC Shadewood is a great one for that purpose, assuming Corruption world. A bit later in the game you could use alternated Livingwood Pillars.

This is a great thread! Really helped me get started with building. I'm attaching a screenshot of my current house.

Capture 2015-09-30 13_52_24.png

I want to build the rest of my house upwards, in the style of the "Combo House" in your OP above. I'd also like to add some elements of Scironex's house (if s/he is ok with it) cuz I think it looks amazing.

Any tips?

Well, tips from me at least, no plain wood for ceilings and walls. While it is without a doubt an easy accessible material, it also looks really bad if used as more than an accent material for trim, or as flooring. A tip from me on glass windows like what your Merchant has behind him, place wooden fence behind it. Makes it look like there is actually a wall supporting the window, otherwise, make it so the window is a surround window, and continue it onto the backwall. Your bottom floor looks like your major crafting region in your house, so I'll recommend a few things to help condense it and fit it better. First, move the piggy bank onto the tinker table, and I'd personally swap the crafting table and anvil with the HD crafting station. Once swapped, place a bottle on the crafting table, if you don't want to bother with an advanced potion station. I tend to put the extractor near a NPC, just so I can sell most of the junk produce off easily.

A trick I use for a ladder like design is actuated platforms. Lets you have a good way between floors (design wise) and still not get in the way, nor does it consume much design space, unlike the central pillar staircase design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyways, on to a me thing, I'm working on a new iteration of my Livingwood Tree design in my SP expert-mode world. Once I get finished with the first few branches, I'll probably post some more about it. I've found a few new tricks for room creation and manipulation, so while I still will have people living in the trunk, it is a lot less condominium style there by far.

Well, tips from me at least, no plain wood for ceilings and walls. While it is without a doubt an easy accessible material, it also looks really bad if used as more than an accent material for trim, or as flooring. A tip from me on glass windows like what your Merchant has behind him, place wooden fence behind it. Makes it look like there is actually a wall supporting the window, otherwise, make it so the window is a surround window, and continue it onto the backwall. Your bottom floor looks like your major crafting region in your house, so I'll recommend a few things to help condense it and fit it better. First, move the piggy bank onto the tinker table, and I'd personally swap the crafting table and anvil with the HD crafting station. Once swapped, place a bottle on the crafting table, if you don't want to bother with an advanced potion station. I tend to put the extractor near a NPC, just so I can sell most of the junk produce off easily.

A trick I use for a ladder like design is actuated platforms. Lets you have a good way between floors (design wise) and still not get in the way, nor does it consume much design space, unlike the central pillar staircase design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyways, on to a me thing, I'm working on a new iteration of my Livingwood Tree design in my SP expert-mode world. Once I get finished with the first few branches, I'll probably post some more about it. I've found a few new tricks for room creation and manipulation, so while I still will have people living in the trunk, it is a lot less condominium style there by far.

Thanks, those tips really help :) What blocks would you reccommend for the walls and celing? Thanks again.

Depends on what style you want to aim for. Terraria has a hoard of brick types to use, and Ebonwood and Livinwood are much better wood material for anything vertical than plain wood. If used correctly, Mahogonly accents look decent, if you want to use just a single layer of them as backwall floor trim, or use them for 1 thick vertial walls. I've personally never used Dynasty wood, but it looks good from what I've seen. Stucco blocks are all a choice for a tower that is neutral element (I.E. not based on Corruption/Crimson/Hallow/any other Biome), and you can always resort to the classic Stone Brick for outer walls.

I HAVE A FRICKIN IDEA FOR ADAPTATIONS
I was thinking of what I wanted to build, and I saw your castle.
Then, instead of copying (that would be immoral), I decided that, when I got the blocks, I'd change it!
I'm thinking of a steampunk castle, so instead of medieval, it looks more industrial!

Well, if you don't mind wood box overload, I have an old pic of my main world's house. I'm planning on messing with it a bit, and adding decorations [AND LESS BOXINESS(?)]to each NPC's room, but the moon events keep killing them... I've added some detail to the steampunker's, party girl's, and the Wizard's rooms so far, but they're not too good yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 1,860
Back
Top Bottom