No Wood Boxes: A Building Guide

Wow some of these are amazing! I have a problem though. I used to be an incredibly creative guy and could think up anything on the spot, but these days I literally can't. It sucks, and I really wanna be able to build some cool stuff like this. I'm going to start a new world with a new character, and I need some tips to help me build a great house, or even get more creative. Any advice?

Well you kinda have to find your own building style some tips could be to use a hammer to bring more of a smoothness and to mix different background walls. building a great house or spaceship doesn't happen overnight try a few designs and pick what you think is best

I come up with really awesome ideas but can't get to start creating.
Do I need some special motivation, or what?

Here's some tips on how to build a cool window:

window.png

Vertical window beam is rope painted black.

Horizontal beams are boreal wood platforms painted black.

Under where the rope and platforms meet there are lead fences to connect them.

The curtains are pumpkin walls painted red.

The top is white actuated smooth marble blocks, and the bottom is palm wood platforms painted gray.

Try building with stuff you don't favor in weird shapes
[doublepost=1472176731,1472176551][/doublepost]
Here's some tips on how to build a cool window:

View attachment 132611
Vertical window beam is rope painted black.

Horizontal beams are boreal wood platforms painted black.

Under where the rope and platforms meet there are lead fences to connect them.

The curtains are pumpkin walls painted red.

The top is white actuated smooth marble blocks, and the bottom is palm wood platforms painted gray.
What material for the actual window?

Hey guys sorry for posting on an old post but how does this look?

Attachments

• Capture 2016-10-02 18_29_55.png
    Capture 2016-10-02 18_29_55.png
    424.2 KB · Views: 410
Hey guys sorry for posting on an old post but how does this look?
So far, the build looks great! However, it needs to look more appealing to the eye. Try adding in different furnitures, blocks, fancy windows, wall outlines, and anything else you think would make it better! In other words, add more color to your build!

Other than that, I like the overall design of your house. I saw how you were trying to go with the "make a house in a unique shape" kind of thing.

Me personally,I went for a airship look.Up above with the beams are slime blocks.I mainly play mobile so if there are any suggestions for me I can't use computer blocks.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 570
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by posting this.
Just wanted to share my home and get some pointers to make the place a bit nicer.
XpbifuQ.jpg
^ How do I hide an image?
XpbifuQ.jpg

This is the third iteration of my main storage facility, where I hoard everything I come over in the game. I am a manic hoarder and this game is not good for my mental health :p
My main reason for the layout is convenience. All chests are accessible with no jumping, all the npc's can be reached from the same floor and the workstations are concentrated in one place with as little need for adjustment as possible while crafting.
I have an organized quickstorage on the main floor, spaced out a bit, where I run past while abusing the quick stack button sexually. When a stack is full I move it to one of the several categorized storage rooms, made expandable to the end of the world if I want to. When I'm in need of more categories I just add more downwards in the same fashion as the ones above.
The floor above the npc housing is going to be used as localized, tried-and-working experiments with gadgets and whatnot, as I find cool tricks and exploits. I couldn't fit the water-lava-honey tank in there, but it's a good example of what type of stuff I'll add there.

Aestetically I like using wall colors and chests to categorize the storage while trying to explain what is stored based on style.
I'm going to have each armor set on display in the clothing storage and display the nicest weapons and equipment while also show what you can find in the near chests. Due to the expandable nature and convenient layout I chose to forgo a lot of stylized opportunities, but I aim to decorate where I can, like the hellevator I've shaped like castle winding stairs. I used 3 different wood and stone walls all the way to the bottom to make a 3d illusion.
I've recently stared to decorate the npc housing based on who I want to live there. I'm at a halt right now as I'm not sure who I want more accessible than others, and I'm unsure how they would like their room designed :p I aim to make the rooms classic and obvious.

While I love how convenient the planters are for my greenhouse, expanded as I get more seeds, I have yet to find a way to harvest the flowers automatically, as actuators don't make them fall off the planters like regular blocks...

Any pointers of how I can incorporate style without sacrificing convenience, and any clishé designs for the npc housing is welcomed warmly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom