No Wood Boxes: A Building Guide

Wow. Those builds tho... Much better than any box houses I make. Definitely inspired me to go build some stuff that'll look good to me hopefully. And then post a pic so people see my amazing first attempt at creative house design... Sounds cooler than it'll look... I guess I just kinda need to squiggle blocks about, add a few patterns, a nice roof and windows, and there we go! But that's... :sigh: Probably much easier said than done. Oh well, I'm still hecka inspired, that one day I'll become a decent builder! Maybe. But every single person who posted their builds on this thread, and Mr. Sir SubterraneanGamer the thread creator of course, are all inspirations to me. Just... An amazing guide.

very nice. the bottom symmetry seems to give some sort of modern feeling.
I was more going for some awkward cross between ultramodern and magical, The idea's that the wizard and steampunker are working to keep that containment dome up in the air in order to isolate the EVIL FUNGAL MENACE from the rest of the populace. (which live in a tree stump. :3)

This topic has been really helpful to me, because I tended to make neatly shaped buildings, but with only one wall type and no specific theme in mind. I'd have a cool, half baked idea, build with whichever block I thought looked nice, and end up with boring generic results. I've been trying to be more creative with my interiors, so here's a recent effort. I built it with a new character, and decided to only use available materials, so the furnishings are sparse. I like my strange tree chimney though; it even smokes! (Or the campfire hidden behind it does, shh).

2015-03-21_00001.jpg

... PS: I didn't take the screenshot with my new character, heh.

The first building looks great! The gemspark wall looks neat with the slab wall, I thought it was tin plating at first. The tree house has an interesting shape on the inside, and the living wood staircase suits it well. The witch doctor's place looks simple, but it looks like some of the outer blocks are brown mud stone bricks? If so, nice use of paint. My first thought was to wonder if painting the top layer of mud stone wall brown might make it look even more seamless, but not sure.

The first building looks great! The gemspark wall looks neat with the slab wall, I thought it was tin plating at first. The tree house has an interesting shape on the inside, and the living wood staircase suits it well. The witch doctor's place looks simple, but it looks like some of the outer blocks are brown mud stone bricks? If so, nice use of paint. My first thought was to wonder if painting the top layer of mud stone wall brown might make it look even more seamless, but not sure.
Cheers dude. Those are actually white dynasty walls painted white, haha (whiteception? Kind of sounds like a right-wing satire movie). I don't like the texture of dynasty walls too much, so I figured that would help.

Oh damn, haha. I'm not a huge fan of them so far myself, but they look good in your building. I need to take a break from Pumpkin Moon suicide, and do some zen building lol.

i am actually starting to think about making tutorials, since i am pretty much done playing. i only build, nowadays.
uh... any tips on how to take those super-clean screenshots? with printscreen, stragely things seem to get pixelated. as in, being amplified without increasing resolution... it looks ugly when i do it. for some weird reason.

I didn't even know how to take screenshots until recently, print screen never worked right for me. I just hit f12 in game to screenshot.

As for the larger screenshots some post, I think they just paste multiple screenshots into whatever image editor they prefer, and try to fit them together as seamlessly as possible.

http://i.imgur.com/iukQ2lG.png

Quick example of a shack I made with advice gathered from this thread, It's still for all intents and purposes "a wood box" but I tried to make it look like something you'd expect swampdwelling rednecks to live in.

Cheap tin roof? Check.

Tacky wallpaper? check.

Ugly wood paneling for trim? You got it!! (in link favor cause how do formatting)

Hm, nice! Definitely a good start, and really hits the redneck feel. Do you have access to pearlwood? If so, I'd recommend a door made out of it.
I actually tried making the floorboards with pearlwood but they looked like crap no matter what wood I tried with, I wanted to make the shack out of palm wood but no other woods could go well with it and I dodn't want it to only use ONE resource... So I had to settle with dynasty wood since it worked the best with everything.

But yah no I didn't try any other doors. Thanks for the tip man!

Back
Top Bottom