Noob question about crimson/corruption spread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronjw

Terrarian
As a latecomer to the game, I've only recently started hard mode. I haven't had a huge problem yet with the crimson spreading, but I am trying to keep my jungle area safe at the moment (the jungle and crimson spawned right next to each other). The crimson had spread somewhat into the jungle, but I dug a hellevator 3 blocks wide far beneath where the crimson met the jungle, and then I purified (or thought I purified) the bit of crimson on the jungle side of the hellevator. But some time later, the crimson had come back to the jungle, across the hellevator. I've looked around online about how to purify crimson/corruption, and can't seem to find out what I did wrong. When purifying, used some purification powder, but also sometimes just used my drill to get rid of crimson grass and crimstone blocks. Does drilling not work? Or am I missing something else? I'm not interested in purifying the whole world, but I do want to keep my jungle safe, and I also have another bit of crimson creeping up on my base, so I'd like to make sure I do it right this time.

The hellevator needs to be wide enough, for one. I can't remember the exact width, but 3 blocks should be enough; it wouldn't hurt to make it five blocks, though, or to just throw dynamite down a hole until it reaches the underworld.

Also, purification powder won't do you any good. The crimson will grow back within minutes; unless you're planning on using a clentaminator to completely remove any and all crimson in your world, there's no point.

Also, if you don't want to build a hellevator right next to your base, you can make an upside-down "dome" of incorruptible material, like wood, in order to prevent the crimson from infecting a small area around your base.

So how thick does the dome have to be? Just one block of incorruptible material plus 3 blocks of space? Or does it need to be 3-4 blocks thick of pure brick (I have way more stone to make brick than I do wood)?

Here's a bit of what I have so far:
BB10ABC5F351A1F4A8AD8D41FC560D02992CF48C

And is there any way to save my jungle now, or is it pretty much doomed?

Depends, could you show us a picture of what your jungle looks like now? We may be able to help with information like that.

Makes he hellavator 7 blocks wide, and on each side, replace it with stone bricks (it can't be crimsonfied). The. Spray any Crimsom blocks in the jungle with green solution with your climentator (obtain that from the steampunker, you might have to defeat a mechanical boss for her to move in)

Okay, I see why you would try to assume that it is 'doomed'. Its bad, but not unstoppable.

Here's what I would do. Although others have viable strategies to tackle this task too:

Get the Clentaminator. The Steampunker will sell it after one of the Mechanical bosses have been defeated, along with actually spawning her.

Next, make a house in an over world area affected by Hallow. Move the Steampunker there and she will begin to sell Blue Solution, the regent responsible for spreading Hallow via the Clentaminator.

Since the Crimson affected areas are a lost cause anyways, its better to Hallow them than Purify them. Crimson does not spread over Hallow and Hallow does not spread over jungle. Essentially you will be creating a 'Biome Barrier'. Do this as you see necessary in an effort to block the Crimson. Just be careful, as if you nonchalantly spray the solution, you will immediately turn Jungle into Hallow if you spray in the wrong or unprecise direction. It won't spread from there, but it will just look ugly.

Saving up about 4 Platinum is a good idea for this.

EDIT:
KBUPunB.jpg

For possible visual clarification to what I mean. Notice the Blue areas? The Clentaminator, like I said, WILL convert those areas. But it would probably be better than stray Crimson.

There is still plenty of Jungle space as you can see.

Last edited:
So how thick does the dome have to be? Just one block of incorruptible material plus 3 blocks of space? Or does it need to be 3-4 blocks thick of pure brick (I have way more stone to make brick than I do wood)?

Here's a bit of what I have so far:
-snip-

What you have there is perfectly fine, though you should put gray brick on both sides.

Also, the dome can be made out of whatever material, even air. Generally, most man-made materials can't be corrupted, while things like sand, grass, or stone can be. I'd suggest making it 5 or 6 blocks wide; while it wouldn't have to be that wide for a regular hellevator, it needs to be extra-wide to account for the rounded corners.

If you decide not to round off the corners, though, then you can make it four blocks wide without worry.

Sure, here:
-snip-

Yeah, that's pretty much doomed. If you don't have a clentaminator now, you likely won't be seeing your jungle for a long time.

Rather that trying to contain the crimson, it may be a better idea to contain a small part of the jungle as quarantine. If you need drops, you can push out the corruption and expand your jungle a bit more to get more enemies to spawn. It's likely an even better idea to quarantine all of your mushroom biomes; they serve very useful purposes and don't regrow on their own.

EDIT:

Okay, I see why you would try to assume that it is 'doomed'. Its bad, but not unstoppable.
Here's what I would do. Although others have viable strategies to tackle this task too:
Get the Clentaminator. The Steampunker will sell it after one of the Mechanical bosses have been defeated, along with actually spawning her.
Next, make a house in an over world area affected by Hallow. Move the Steampunker there and she will begin to sell Blue Solution, the regent responsible for spreading Hallow via the Clentaminator.
Since the Crimson affected areas are a lost cause anyways, its better to Hallow them than Purify them. Crimson does not spread over Hallow and Hallow does not spread over jungle. Essentially you will be creating a 'Biome Barrier'. Do this as you see necessary in an effort to block the Crimson. Just be careful, as if you nonchalantly spray the solution, you will immediately turn Jungle into Hallow if you spray in the wrong or unprecise direction. It won't spread from there, but it will just look ugly.
Saving up about 4 Platinum is a good idea for this.
This is a much better strategy than what I wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom