Novelty Elevators

Can you get both directions to work with one elevator? ;)
Ask, and you shall receive :p

The top switch goes up and the bottom switch goes down. You get craziness if you turn on both switches on at the same time, but just turning one (or both) off will even it out and it will work again.

jzK1jxs.png
7JbmLTn.png

The wiring is kinda rough, and I prolly should clean it up and make it neater, but it works.

The top switch goes up and the bottom switch goes down. You get craziness if you turn on both switches on at the same time,

A solution may be to limit yourself to one bird statue and having the up track on the left, and the down track on the right (or the up track on the right and the down track on the left.) After processing the switch signal with XOR logic, it would toggle the entrance of the bird between the two tracks.

@darthmorf: tell us when you have success!

Last edited:
I have built the 2.0 version of the lift, however, it still appears to be broken. I suspect I may have made another error somewhere.

My current wire:

Capture 2015-10-05 20_01_43.png

The markers on the right represent every six blocks where the non-actuated blocks are, (although some lower markers are missing)

(I have a video uploading, but it's gonna take ages, so I thought I'd just go ahead and post this.)

I have built the 2.0 version of the lift, however, it still appears to be broken. I suspect I may have made another error somewhere.

I'll wait for the video, but maybe try trouble-shooting your problem by digging out this area of blocks:

Capture26.PNG

replacing the yellow pressure plates with blue or red ones, and walking over them with the player left to right. That way you can see at least if the wiring is wrong, or if it is the bird that is causing problems.

Last edited:
I'll wait for the video, but maybe try trouble-shooting your problem by digging out this area of blocks:

View attachment 80438

replacing the yellow pressure plates with blue or red ones, and walking over them with the player left to right. That way you can see at least if the wiring is wrong, or if it is the bird that is causing problems.
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks

Ah, I get it now. That sounds like the source of the problem.

Well, that's not going to be the only problem. The context of your elevators (elevator shafts of differing heights, floor heights that are not multiples of 6 blocks) make this all a little more difficult than the idealized concept Bahamut has presented. But yeah. No unactuated blocks initially in the elevator shaft. Your down elevator is essentially a pit of doom. If I'm honest, you'd probably be better off using the first design (the one with unactuated--foreground--blocks every six blocks) because you'll be wanting these unactuated blocks to belevel with the earth's surface when the elevator stops moving.

Last edited:
elevator shafts of differing heights, floor heights that are not multiples of 6 blocks
The (almost) continuous loop of this design is more forgiving about floor heights than my other designs. And, yeah, when its off the down shaft would just be a big hole in the ground that would need to be plugged.

@inomanoms Thanks! Yeah, it's only up. I bet making a version that goes down wouldn't be much more difficult, but I tend to just use pink gel blocks for descents so it didn't occur to me to make the down half. I've been too busy IRL to play Terraria lately, but anyone's welcome to copy / modify / improve on my designs of course :)

Edit: wow, a whole bunch of posts popped up while I was writing this. Now it's all out of place, haha. Welp, back to lurking...

me and a friend are planning on making a working elevator that you can call and choose your destination from your target floor. we're gonna start out with two floors as a proof of concept, but then move on to a 4 floor version, and possibly a 6 floor. i plan on using bird-based power and a very shoddy wiring system, along with horizontal shafts for the birds to use. itll be pretty slow but for a first design and proof of concept it will work fairly well. my friend has a firm grasp of the games logic gate system and the other complicated mechanical tools, so im gonna be collaborating with her in order to make this happen. feel free to dm me on discord, since i probably will only be using this forum for inspiration and help with optimizing my horrible starting designs.

my discord tag: Chingus#1193

Back
Top Bottom