tModLoader Npc Enslavement [Looking for Spriter]

Exeton

Terrarian
Intro: NPC Enslavement is a mod focused on removing Town NPC clutter by sending all your useless town NCPs off to work. Using the new NCP pokeball item, you can send the bug collector, party girl, and other unimportant NCPs to your choice of a lumber mill or mine, where they will collect resources. Your enslaved workers do not require housing, and will be far out of sight, meaning it'll be easier to find those important NCPs.

Contributing: If you're a spriter who'd like to help make some sprites for the Lumber Mill / Mine furniture, or a ncp transport item (sortof like a pokeball) , be sure to shoot me a message.

To Do: Only a few things are left before release, including getting sprites, and making the resource collection pull from all the available lumber mills / mines. Finally adding some type of UI choosing what production area to send npcs is necessary. The mod is probably about 50% coded.

Pictures: A picture of the resource collection, and lumber mill GUIs.
ResourceCollection.PNG

LumberMill.PNG

Credits: Huge thanks to JopoJelly for finding my bug in the resource withdrawal UI.

Last edited:
Hey man, I like the idea of a mod that allows the player to get the NPCs to not stay at home lazily and like get them to work... but I dont think this specific branding of the mod might be the best Idea. I am not entirely sure of community guidelines, but I am pretty sure imagery of the player enslaving NPCs, whipping them and getting them to do unpayed work might not be completely culturally appropriate.

Allowing the player to whip characters like the Arms Dealer and possibly the upcoming NPC of a currently unknown vocation might be bad.

Without resorting to restructuring the mods functionality might I suggest rebranding it as something like NPC favors, cause they would originally live on houses the player built mostly, and favors are at least in my opinion more... they have less of a negative image.

Changing the whip into like... maybe a bell whos sound waves are drawn coming out implying less hitting the characters and more sounding them to get to work, that would only require a respriting and renaming of the whip item.
Maybe a letter being swung at the NPCs, implying that the requests of work are on it...

If working for the player has to stay as a main mechanic maybe changing it to a system where the player does pay those NPCs, even if much less than they would buying all the gathered resources, might be a better idea.

Hey man, I like the idea of a mod that allows the player to get the NPCs to not stay at home lazily and like get them to work... but I dont think this specific branding of the mod might be the best Idea. I am not entirely sure of community guidelines, but I am pretty sure imagery of the player enslaving NPCs, whipping them and getting them to do unpayed work might not be completely culturally appropriate.

Allowing the player to whip characters like the Arms Dealer and possibly the upcoming NPC of a currently unknown vocation might be bad.

Without resorting to restructuring the mods functionality might I suggest rebranding it as something like NPC favors, cause they would originally live on houses the player built mostly, and favors are at least in my opinion more... they have less of a negative image.

Changing the whip into like... maybe a bell whos sound waves are drawn coming out implying less hitting the characters and more sounding them to get to work, that would only require a respriting and renaming of the whip item.
Maybe a letter being swung at the NPCs, implying that the requests of work are on it...

If working for the player has to stay as a main mechanic maybe changing it to a system where the player does pay those NPCs, even if much less than they would buying all the gathered resources, might be a better idea.

Thank you for the heads up. I'm not trying to be racist or insensitive, and if the majority of Terraria's Town NPC's were black, I would change the mod. That being said, I don't think killing in games like csgo condones murder, nor do I think enslavement in a video game will suggest white supremacy. If a moderator want me to change this mod I can. I also don't think I've been clear on the whip's usage. It's current purpose is to whip an NPC to send it to a lumber mill or mine, players won't be continuously whipping NPCs to get them to work harder, NPCs will be kept outside the map.

@TheWorfer27 I'm still looking for spriters so I don't have the sprite for it. I'm looking for something like an Indiana Jones whip.

Intro: NPC Enslavement is a mod focused on removing Town NPC clutter by sending all your useless town NCPs off to work. Using the new Whip item, you can send bug collector, party girl, and other unimportant NCPs to your choice of a lumber mill or mine, where they will collect resources. Your enslaved workers do not require housing, and will be far out of sight, meaning it'll be easier to find those important NCPs.

Contributing: If you're a spriter who'd like to help make some sprites for the Lumber Mill / Mine furniture, or the Whip item, be sure to shoot me a message.

To Do: Only a few things are left before release, including getting sprites, and making the resource collection pull from all the available lumber mills / mines. Finally adding some type of UI choosing what production area to send npcs is necessary. The mod is probably about 50% coded.

Pictures: A picture of the resource collection, and lumber mill GUIs.
View attachment 211909

View attachment 211908
Bug collector?

Alright, understood, good to see no ill intent was intended. On a semi-related note, how exactly would the whip function as a sprite, like is it swung like a sword or pickaxe? would it function like a hook with a small reach? would it be like the whip weapons in weapon-out?
Asking this more to get a more clear idea of what would be needed sprite-wise.
Alternatively, how do you call the NPCs back in case you wish to buy things from them after sending them off to work?
Lastly, would the Lumber Mill and Mine be like... houses in terraria with special furniture on them, or are those 2 things specifically special furniture items?
thank you.

Thanks, didn't see the typo, Virukino

@Unusacies I'm not still not 100% sure how the whip will work. I was considering having it be a weapon that somewhat follows your cursor, and when you whip a town npc a GUI opens up and you choose where to send the ncp. Now I think it might be better to use a pokeball like item and right click the lumber mill / mine to add the workers, because my whip opening a gui idea doesn't really make sense.

I think the house with a special furniture item is really good idea, and if it's within my coding abilities, I'll change that to be how I implement it. There'll also be some sort of feature where you can add beds or something to increase the housing capacity, so players don't have to build as many houses. As for calling workers back, there'll be a GUI when clicking the furniture which will allow you to send the workers back. (See the second picture. I'll also change the wording from remove to send home or something less confusing.)

Thanks, didn't see the typo, Virukino

@Unusacies I'm not still not 100% sure how the whip will work. I was considering having it be a weapon that somewhat follows your cursor, and when you whip a town npc a GUI opens up and you choose where to send the ncp. Now I think it might be better to use a pokeball like item and right click the lumber mill / mine to add the workers, because my whip opening a gui idea doesn't really make sense.

I think the house with a special furniture item is really good idea, and if it's within my coding abilities, I'll change that to be how I implement it. There'll also be some sort of feature where you can add beds or something to increase the housing capacity, so players don't have to build as many houses. As for calling workers back, there'll be a GUI when clicking the furniture which will allow you to send the workers back. (See the second picture. I'll also change the wording from remove to send home or something less confusing.)
Who is the bug collector?

Yeah, it was 0.1 / minute, but I didn't want to have to wait 10 minutes to test the feature :p

Edit: There'll also be ways to upgrade the lumber mill to increase the productivity from 0.1 / min

Back
Top Bottom