Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Terraria_2020_07_12_23_34_48_107.png

I believe that the current code for spawning Pillars doesn't take NPC housing or Pylons into account at all.
This might have been fine before the 1.4 Happiness/Pylon system.
I dunno if this is intentional now or not, so I'll leave it here.
I presume a Pillar shouldn't spawn practically in a house or 20-ish blocks next to a Pillar.

View attachment 282904

I believe that the current code for spawning Pillars doesn't take NPC housing or Pylons into account at all.
This might have been fine before the 1.4 Happiness/Pylon system.
I dunno if this is intentional now or not, so I'll leave it here.
I presume a Pillar shouldn't spawn practically in a house or 20-ish blocks next to a Pillar.
It’s definitely intentional, it places it relandomly somewhere and it happens your house was where it was, on my console world, two pillars spawned below ground so yeah(also don’t quit your game if the pillar is open, unless you don’t have time to fight moonlord, it’ll reset itself)

The Pillars always spawn within specific areas on your world, they will not take NPCs into account. For more info on where they spawn, you can check out the Gamepedia page about it.

I'm aware of that. I don't quite understand why this isn't looked at, since new Happiness/Pylon system literally needs you to have houses in various Biomes. I'm not against Pylons not working, I'm confused why we now have two clashing systems?

the problem is about why you decide to build your town so close to a pillar's spawning area, not the reverse

pillars spawn in a relatively fixed region and there exist structure designs that can prevent or force a piller to spawn in a specific piont.

to avoid this from happening you should either build your town outside the spawning region or protect your town with pillar-spawn-proof structures.

counting into the mob spawning region when you fight around a pillar, each pillar can threat only approximately 300 block in width, which is not likely to forbid you from building any of the towns in nature biomes even in a small world (4200 blocks wide), not to mention that you can always create artificial biomes to help you customize every teleportation station freely

also, as you only need to be close to a pillar once you destroy its sheild (you don't even need to do this if you have a long-ranged weapon, and usually you do have one), there is basically no reeason for you to fight around the town

Last edited:
the problem is about why you decide to build your town so close to a pillar's spawning area, not the reverse

pillars spawn in a relatively fixed region and there exist structure designs that can prevent or force a piller to spawn in a specific piont.

to avoid this from happening you should either build your town outside the spawning region or protect your town with pillar-spawn-proof structures.

counting into the mob spawning region when you fight around a pillar, each pillar can threat only approximately 300 block in width, which is not likely to forbid you from building any of the towns in nature biomes even in a small world (4200 blocks wide), not to mention that you can always create artificial biomes to help you customize every teleportation station freely

also, as you only need to be close to a pillar once you destroy its sheild (you don't even need to do this if you have a long-ranged weapon, and usually you do have one), there is basically no reeason for you to fight around the town

I doubt anyone really thinks "ah, a new game, NPCs will need a home, better check the endgame Pillar algorithm on a wiki". Especially newer players.

On my small world, I had to fulfill the housing spacing requirements, place towns so Pylon spacing actually makes sense, leave a part of Biome unaffected by town anti-enemy spawning, consider if the evil biome is near, not place too high up because Wyverns, and even consider where WoF kill will spawn Hallow/Evil.

Now you're telling me I should have also considered the Celestial spawning algorithm and also build a "pillar-spawn-proof" structure while I won't even see them until waaay later?

Artificial biomes either take space from other biomes, or take as of 1.4 a lot of blocks, again, not good on a small world. I literally have an artificial Hallow just between the Ocean and Jungle, and that's just enough blocks to consider it Hallow. That's how tight thing are.

You can protect areas from Meteors simply by having NPCs. And you can place chests to simply prevent spawning.

As for fighting pillars, sure, you can have fights as far as possible. You can also prefer drive-bys and Sentries. And a lot of stuff happens when you try to actually take down the pillar, unless you're cheesing it with infinite range weapons. And even spawned enemies can maybe just fly randomly off screen and kill your NPCs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with Pillars, I have an issue that 1.4 Happiness slapped in the "space things out" only to have it shutdown by 1.3's mechanic.

I mean, I really can't accommodate the entire Pillar's possible spawn area and fit a town, and that Pillar landed smack into the middle of a town.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone really thinks "ah, a new game, NPCs will need a home, better check the endgame Pillar algorithm on a wiki". Especially newer players.

On my small world, I had to fulfill the housing spacing requirements, place towns so Pylon spacing actually makes sense, leave a part of Biome unaffected by town anti-enemy spawning, consider if the evil biome is near, not place too high up because Wyverns, and even consider where WoF kill will spawn Hallow/Evil.

Now you're telling me I should have also considered the Celestial spawning algorithm and also build a "pillar-spawn-proof" structure while I won't even see them until waaay later?

Artificial biomes either take space from other biomes, or take as of 1.4 a lot of blocks, again, not good on a small world. I literally have an artificial Hallow just between the Ocean and Jungle, and that's just enough blocks to consider it Hallow. That's how tight thing are.

You can protect areas from Meteors simply by having NPCs. And you can place chests to simply prevent spawning.

As for fighting pillars, sure, you can have fights as far as possible. You can also prefer drive-bys and Sentries. And a lot of stuff happens when you try to actually take down the pillar, unless you're cheesing it with infinite range weapons. And even spawned enemies can maybe just fly randomly off screen and kill your NPCs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with Pillars, I have an issue that 1.4 Happiness slapped in the "space things out" only to have it shutdown by 1.3's mechanic.

I mean, I really can't accommodate the entire Pillar's possible spawn area and fit a town, and that Pillar landed smack into the middle of a town.
pillars have fixed spawning region of less than 2 screen wide, which enables player to prepare for simple arena to avoid dying ~10 times against each pillar, and now you're some mechanism to somehow magically arrange npc howsing in this tight region.

speaking of artificial biomes, i've counted the box you build in that picture, replace wood with pearlstones and you're about 20 blocks from hallow, i don't see that's anything near "a lot of blocks"

btw i don't see how a "new player" learn the mechanism of npc happiness before knowing the basic game progression and the knowledge that pillars always equally space the map.
also as there is no long-term penalty for npc dying and player already have access to teleporters and pylon is not available during moon event anyway I don't see the point why npc dying during an endgame event matters. letting npc be invulnerable to destroyer seems much more reasonable to me if your point is just to protect npc human right

Pillars are pseudo-randomly placed in defined areas of the world. Sometimes that area can overlap with other structures, such as the Dungeon. I've even had them spawn on top of a Living Tree. This isn't a bug - it's mostly bad luck that they'll overlap. Your NPCs will probably be safe in their houses as few enemies and projectiles can move through blocks. Except for the Nebula pillar, you'd be pretty safe inside the house!

As others have suggested, you can create a thread in the Suggestions forum for the behaviour to be changed.

Pillars are pseudo-randomly placed in defined areas of the world. Sometimes that area can overlap with other structures, such as the Dungeon. I've even had them spawn on top of a Living Tree. This isn't a bug - it's mostly bad luck that they'll overlap. Your NPCs will probably be safe in their houses as few enemies and projectiles can move through blocks. Except for the Nebula pillar, you'd be pretty safe inside the house!

As others have suggested, you can create a thread in the Suggestions forum for the behaviour to be changed.

Will do. Apologies for putting it in wrong forum.
I'll let a dev decide this one, but this is really starting to sound more like a suggestion than a bug.

Will do. Apologies for putting it in wrong forum.

Back
Top Bottom