PC NPC Housing Requirements incorrect on Wiki?

presspl4y

Terrarian
The official Terraria Wiki page for House (http://terraria.wiki.gg/House) indicates that valid housing my be any of the following sizes:

Excluding ceiling, floor and walls
3 tiles wide x 10 tiles high

4 tiles wide x 8 tiles high
6 tiles wide x 6 tiles high
7 tiles wide x 5 tiles high
8 tiles wide x 4 tiles high
10 tiles wide x 3 tiles high

Including ceiling, floor and walls
5 tiles wide x 12 tiles high

6 tiles wide x 10 tiles high
8 tiles wide x 8 tiles high
9 tiles wide x 7 tiles high
10 tiles wide x 6 tiles high
12 tiles wide x 5 tiles high

I am working on a housing project that lines up twenty-one houses, each using the 6 tiles wide x 10 tiles high (including walls) layout, side by side. The houses each appear to meet all of the other requirements listed on the wiki page, but I am getting the dreaded "This is not valid housing" error message for each one.

I noticed that when I switch the size of the housing to 8 tiles wide x 8 tiles high (including walls) using a similar layout, I get a "This is suitable housing" message, so I am thinking the error has something to do with the 6x10 size, and not any of the other requirements, but I could be wrong.

SJ2s32d.jpg

I would strongly prefer to go with the more vertical 6 wide x 10 high layout (or any layout that retains a max width of 6 blocks including walls) as that design fits perfectly with the other 80% of my base. Could anyone with knowledge of current NPC housing requirements of Terraria PC Ver. 1.2.4.1 take a look at my vertical house (on the left) and let me know why it is not working? I've tried everything I can think of, including adding an extra block, or two extra blocks to the height, moving the workbench and chair in various other arrangements, etc. and nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance.

(Edit 09.29.2014: Replaced table with basic text. These forums do not like tables apparently)

Last edited:
After doing more extensive testing. It appears that this is a bug relating to doors.

Here are the results of 6x10 testing:
gKdeh4E.jpg

In the next test, I extended the width one block, to 7x10:
Kv3iHoj.jpg

In the next test, I extended the width a total of two blocks, to 8x10:
TRAJezK.jpg

I also tested a width of 9 blocks which remained valid even with both doors opened inward.

Is this a bug, and if so, how can I report it?
Or does the "Houses" link on the front page of the Wiki just contain outdated/incorrect information?

@presspl4y I think its related to how many empty blocks are required.
Like you showed in the diagram, opened doors take up empty blocks, therefore leaving less place for "living"

Back
Top Bottom