Switch NPC Not Showing Up Into their House

Hippy Alex

Terrarian
This is my first post in this forum so sorry If I'm doing anything wrong but after reading the rules I'm pretty sure I'm good. Anyway, I thing I encountered a bug in which my NPC (Angler) won't show up to his house. I encountered him at the beach and even check out his quest (but I didn't do it). Now I see his banner in a room I put my other NPCs but he never shows up. I checked both sides of the ocean and nothing. After all my research I haven't found anyone with this problem. I'm pretty sure this is a bug so if anyone has a similar problem or can help me let me know. Thank you!

This is my first post in this forum so sorry If I'm doing anything wrong but after reading the rules I'm pretty sure I'm good. Anyway, I thing I encountered a bug in which my NPC (Angler) won't show up to his house. I encountered him at the beach and even check out his quest (but I didn't do it). Now I see his banner in a room I put my other NPCs but he never shows up. I checked both sides of the ocean and nothing. After all my research I haven't found anyone with this problem. I'm pretty sure this is a bug so if anyone has a similar problem or can help me let me know. Thank you!
Hi @Hippy Alex, welcome to the forums. :)

That’s good news that at least the Angler’s flag is showing up in his room. When you look at the full map, do you see the Angler’s face on the map somewhere? He may be stuck somewhere. When its night time, and if you see his head on the map indicating that he’s alive, try moving away from his house and he will likely teleport to his room. He won’t do it while you are nearby, so you’ll need to move several screens away.

Hi @Hippy Alex, welcome to the forums. :)

That’s good news that at least the Angler’s flag is showing up in his room. When you look at the full map, do you see the Angler’s face on the map somewhere? He may be stuck somewhere. When its night time, and if you see his head on the map indicating that he’s alive, try moving away from his house and he will likely teleport to his room. He won’t do it while you are nearby, so you’ll need to move several screens away.
Nope, I looked all over the map and his face is not there. I stayed in the underworld to do some errands and nothing even though his banner is still there.

Nope, I looked all over the map and his face is not there. I stayed in the underworld to do some errands and nothing even though his banner is still there.
I've never experienced this but I could suggest possibly destroying the house until the flag is gone, then rebuilding it? Might make the Angler move back in and appear? Not sure but you could try it!
Hope that works!

I've never experienced this but I could suggest possibly destroying the house until the flag is gone, then rebuilding it? Might make the Angler move back in and appear? Not sure but you could try it!
Hope that works!
I also did that too :sigh: I never encountered anything like this and I tried everything so I have no idea what this is. Thanks for the help though!

I also did that too :sigh: I never encountered anything like this and I tried everything so I have no idea what this is. Thanks for the help though!
Huh, sorry it didn't work. Yeah I haven't ever encountered this either, seems like a strange bug, I don't even know what to try anymore! :confused:
Good luck though!

Ahh, so he’s not just not moving in, he isn’t even alive in your world. That can be okay too, he may have died. Do you have any events going on, like goblins, Pirates, pillars? NPCs won’t spawn back in during events and they won’t move back in during nighttime. Make sure you have enough valid houses for every NPC that would be currently eligible to move in. One last thing - make sure the Corruption/Crimson isn’t encroaching on your houses. If there is a small amount of nearby Corruption/Crimson that has recently grew nearby that may also be a reason NPCs aren’t moving in.

If you could share some screenshots of your entire map, the houses, your housing menu, and what’s surrounding the houses that might help to figure out what might be going on. It could still be a bug like you’re thinking, but I want to rule out everything else. :)

Ahh, so he’s not just not moving in, he isn’t even alive in your world. That can be okay too, he may have died. Do you have any events going on, like goblins, Pirates, pillars? NPCs won’t spawn back in during events and they won’t move back in during nighttime. Make sure you have enough valid houses for every NPC that would be currently eligible to move in. One last thing - make sure the Corruption/Crimson isn’t encroaching on your houses. If there is a small amount of nearby Corruption/Crimson that has recently grew nearby that may also be a reason NPCs aren’t moving in.

If you could share some screenshots of your entire map, the houses, your housing menu, and what’s surrounding the houses that might help to figure out what might be going on. It could still be a bug like you’re thinking, but I want to rule out everything else. :)
So I have extra houses and made sure every house is indeed suitable. I've been playing this same since this post so I went through all events and been through day and night multiple pictures so thats kinda why I came to say it was a bug. But for picutres of course, sorry if I mess up posting pictures on a forum because I never got used to forums layout :sigh: terrraria1.jpeg terraria2.jpeg
terrraria1.jpeg
terraria2.jpeg
terrraria1.jpeg terraria2.jpeg

Okay, so based on the screenshots, your world has him assigned to a room, which normally means that he’s somewhere in the world. You’re sure that his head is nowhere on the full map? What happens if you unassign him from that room?

Okay, so based on the screenshots, your world has him assigned to a room, which normally means that he’s somewhere in the world. You’re sure that his head is nowhere on the full map? What happens if you unassign him from that room?
I would unassign him by breaking everything in the house and all the other houses and I would play for a couple hours, build the house back and only see his banner again. I attached the world map and you can see he his nowhere to be found. I check both sides of the ocean and nothing. I don't know what else to do to be honest. ter world1.jpeg ter world2.jpeg ter world 3.jpeg

I would unassign him by breaking everything in the house and all the other houses and I would play for a couple hours, build the house back and only see his banner again. I attached the world map and you can see he his nowhere to be found. I check both sides of the ocean and nothing. I don't know what else to do to be honest. View attachment 225074 View attachment 225075 View attachment 225076
Very strange Alex. I wonder where he went.

I’d suggest sending in as much details as you can to the development team here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

Back
Top Bottom