NPC shop prices increase

btrglm

Terrarian
All right, I'm relatively new to terraria and this is a question I've been longing to ask. I was looking for good weapons to fight the wall of flesh and a gun named "Minishark" popped up. I loaded my world in, expecting to buy the weapon at 35 gold but the NPC was selling it for 47 gold and 35 silver. The wiki page clearly states that the price of the weapon is 35 gold so i'm confused. Help me out, please.

NPC happiness is a factor. I recommend putting the bloke in a new home in the desert, potentially with the Nurse. Don’t overcrowd your NPCS either
Along that, if you want to know where the NPCs like to live, look in the bestiary, when you click on the Npc, a background will show so you know what you can do for them.

NPC happiness is a needless complication that punishes you if you do not put your NPCs in very specific biomes surrounded by very specific NPCs and not more than one.

If you don't put your NPCs in houses with their loved (or liked if that's all they have) partners in a small space then you will pay the penalty of not getting the best price.

Additionally, you can have 1 more NPC in larger radius.

Biomes are also critical to getting best price and not being punished with higher prices.

To me this shortens well to:
NPC happiness is a needless complication that punishes you if you do not put your NPCs in very specific biomes surrounded by very specific NPCs and not more than one.

If you don't put your NPCs in houses with their loved (or liked if that's all they have) partners in a small space then you will pay the penalty of not getting the best price.

Additionally, you can have 1 more NPC in larger radius.

Biomes are also critical to getting best price and not being punished with higher prices.

To me this shortens well to:
How is it a punishment if the prices caused by neutral NPC happiness are the same ones we had in 1.0-1.3.5? That's not a punishment, that's... literally the same.

How is dealing with the same prices we've had to deal with for almost a decade now a punishment?

How is it a punishment if the prices caused by neutral NPC happiness are the same ones we had in 1.0-1.3.5? That's not a punishment, that's... literally the same.

How is dealing with the same prices we've had to deal with for almost a decade now a punishment?

The system is designed around punishment.

If you don't build within very strict guidelines, there will be consequences. You can't build castles or complexes anymore without considering the punishment factor.

You can build within very specific guidelines to achieve 100% of the same prices we've had but any deviation from a set of arbitrary standards and you are punished with higher prices.

The system is designed around punishment.

If you don't build within very strict guidelines, there will be consequences. You can't build castles or complexes anymore without considering the punishment factor.

You can build within very specific guidelines to achieve 100% of the same prices we've had but any deviation from a set of arbitrary standards and you are punished with higher prices.
Considering how broken the economy is this update anyway, money almost certainly doesn't matter. Fallen Stars are more common than ever and are worth 5 silver each, fishing nets you 10 silver per catch at the bare minimum, and the Torch God event is both ridiculously easy to farm and gives you 2 gold per win. And these numbers are raised by the happiness system, meaning that in earlygame where you have <4 NPCs anyway you get even more money from all of these.

Literally the only things that could matter as a result of this are a)overpriced cosmetics like pets (which are mostly sold by the traveling merchant anyway) or b)reforging at the goblin tinkerer, which is never remotely required for killing any bosses/events unless you're so bad at that specific boss/event that you need to min-max to win. (which is understandable if it's something like the enraged empress of light or the Pillars)

Last edited:
Considering how broken the economy is this update anyway, money almost certainly doesn't matter. Fallen Stars are more common than ever and are worth 5 silver each, fishing nets you 10 silver per catch at the bare minimum, and the Torch God event is both ridiculously easy to farm and gives you 2 gold per win. And these numbers are raised by the happiness system, meaning that in earlygame where you have <4 NPCs anyway you get even more money from all of these.

Literally the only things that could matter as a result of this are a)overpriced cosmetics like pets (which are mostly sold by the traveling merchant anyway) or b)reforging at the goblin tinkerer, which is never remotely required for killing any bosses/events unless you're so bad at that specific boss/event that you need to min-max to win. (which is understandable if it's something like the enraged empress of light or the Pillars)

I suppose. I'm always hard up for money because I reforge I guess. It goes really quickly at times like reforging wings. And I do find that reforging is necessary. I play expert and above difficulty. Maybe I just suck but I find Bosses can be tough until you get the right load out.

I suppose. I'm always hard up for money because I reforge I guess. It goes really quickly at times like reforging wings. And I do find that reforging is necessary. I play expert and above difficulty. Maybe I just suck but I find Bosses can be tough until you get the right load out.
I’ve found that I get more return on focusing on mobility than damage, and not a single reforge can give that in an effective form (movement speed modifiers only affect grounded speed, unless you’re wearing running boots, in which case they don’t affect your top speed at all)

I’ve found that I get more return on focusing on mobility than damage, and not a single reforge can give that in an effective form (movement speed modifiers only affect grounded speed, unless you’re wearing running boots, in which case they don’t affect your top speed at all)

That's probably good advice. I focus on getting dodge if possible and warding and then damage. Never bother with mobility because it never seems to help like you say boots have a top speed. I now have been switching to amphibian boots for boss fights because they greatly help vertical mobility. When I still get waxed, to me I think, that I need to finesse my arena more.

NPC Happiness is a needless complication? It's the reason I got the minishark for 26 gold and 25 silver. That being said, it is annoying that you can't build exactly what you want anymore.

Here's a tip for you, btrglm, and any new players in general: The minishark isn't only effective against the Wall of Flesh, but all bosses before it except for the Eater of Worlds.

Back
Top Bottom