NPCs & Enemies [NPC Suggestion] The Trapper! Aka "Suck at invasions? She's your girl!"

Would you want this in the game?

• Total voters

Ritamatronic

Terrarian
Tell me, young(or old, or middled-aged) Terrarian; do you find yourself struggling with invasions?

Has the Old One's army broken your precious Etherian crystals?

Have the Goblins taken your women and children for nefarious means?

Have the pirates stolen all your gold but for some reason not the platinum?

Then this NPC is for you!

Meet the Trapper!

the_trapper_by_robbiedaboo-daq0wg2.png

(Pictured above: concept art by yours truly)

The Trapper is a Lamia, and an expert at creating traps that give enemies a very hard time indeed! With a wide variety of items for sale that can turn the tide of any invasion when properly laid out, she's the perfect fit for an aspiring army squasher.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Okay, salesperson jokes aside, the Trapper is a hypothetical NPC I've wanted in the game for a very long time. I even suggested her years ago when I was younger, had a different account, and was kind of a moron. So I've gone to the liberty of fleshing her out, and instead of restricting her as one small piece of a larger suggestion like I did back then, I'm devoting an entire topic to her!

Spawn conditions: The Trapper will spawn somewhere on your world after you've beaten at least one invasion event. This does include the Slime Rain. After this has transpired, she will be able to spawn; look for her in the desert, underground or overworld. Once you've found her, she'll be able to spawn in your town normally as long as one house is open!

Edit: A lot of people seem to be getting hung up on the Slime Rain. Guys, the Slime Rain is not the only trigger for her spawning; it's just one of them. If you got a slime rain before a goblin army, you would have the Trapper before the Goblin Tinkerer. Otherwise you'll probably get them both around the same time.

In pre-hardmode, she sells the following;

Spikes [50 copper]

-The spikes you find in the dungeon.

Bear Trap [10 silver]

-The Bear Trap is a placeable trap item that deals 50 stock damage and locks the enemy who triggered it in place for 1 second at the least, 10 at the most. The stronger an enemy is, the shorter amount of time they'll be trapped. Hardmode enemies are locked at 1 second of trap time. It is two blocks wide and can be placed on platforms. It does not affect flying enemies.

Spike Trap [5 silver]

-A thin metal plate that has holes in it; when an enemy steps over it, spikes shoot up, dealing 40 damage instantly. It does not affect flying enemies.

Dart Trap [50 copper]

-The dart traps you find underground.

In hardmode, she sells the following;

Super Bear Trap [2 gold]

-An upgraded bear trap that deals 100 damage and has heavily increased trap time scaling.

Super Spike Trap [2 gold]

-An upgraded spike trap that deals 100 damage.

And after you have beaten Plantera;

Super Dart Trap [2 gold]

-The dart traps you find in the Lihzard temple.

Spiky Ball Trap [2 gold]

-The spiky ball traps you find in the Lihzard temple.

Spear Trap [2 gold]

-The spear traps you find in the Lihzard temple.

Flame Trap [2 gold]

-The flame traps you find in the Lihzard temple.

Wooden Spikes [1 silver]

-The wooden spikes you find in the Lihzard temple.

When Halloween rolls around, she sells;

Trapper Wig [1 gold]

-A wig based on the Trapper's hairdo.

Trapper Shirt and Bracelets [1 gold]

-A set of golden bracelets and a grey sleeveless shirt based on the Trapper's attire.

Trapper's Belt (Vanity Accessory) [1 gold]

-A belt based on the Trapper's, well, belt.

Trapper's Backpack (Vanity Accessory) [1 gold]

-A backpack based on the- you know what, figure it out. XD

Lamia Tail [1 gold]

-A lamia tail. The same one you can obtain from Lamias, just way easier to get when Halloween rolls around.

Her personality is very abrasive and harsh, but not without charm; she genuinely means well, and does care about the player. Some dialogue ideas(though of course, this is ultimately up to the devs if they add her in);

(Upon being found) "Ugh, that's the last time I ever... Oh, hey, a customer."

(After being found but before moving in) "You got a place for me to stay? The desert sucks." / "You gonna buy something?" / "Hurry up and beat it, I ain't going anywhere until I know you're not following me."

(After hardmode starts) "Be careful in the desert. My fellow Lamias aren't the friendliest sort."

(If Dryad is present) "So, is (Name of Dryad) doing anything tonight? Because I'm not." / "(Name of Dryad) is cute, but she seems a little too tightly wound."

(If Guide is present) "(Name of Guide) creeps me out a little. He knows way too much."

(If Arms Dealer is present) "Could you do me a favor and push (Name of Arms Dealer) into a pit for me? He annoys me."

(If Mechanic is present) "Gotta admit, (Name of Mechanic) knows her way around wiring. Might see if she can help me expand my wares."

(If Goblin Tinkerer is present) "(Name of Goblin Tinkerer)'s an actually civilized goblin. I can respect that."

(If Mechanic and Goblin Tinkerer are present) "Can someone tell (Name of Mechanic) and (Name of Goblin Tinkerer) to stop beating around the bush? Every time I'm working on something with them, they don't make eye contact and seem so nervous."

(If Tavernkeep is present) "(Name of Tavernkeep) keeps asking me about my wares. Could you go test them on that army he's always rambling on about, get him off my back?" / "I don't know why, but my traps seem to do heck-all to those Etherian monsters."

(If player is wearing Lamia and/or Trapper Costume items) "I can't tell if you're trying to be like me or trying to taunt me."

(If Witch Doctor is present and Plantera has been defeated) "(Name of Witch Doctor) gave me the schematics for a bunch of really strong traps. I asked him why and he just left. Weird."

(If Stylist is present) "Someone tell (Name of Stylist) to leave me alone. I like my hair messy and unkept, thank you very much."

(If the Moon Lord has been defeated) "I have no idea what that commotion and those flashing lights were about, but I get the feeling you just did the world a huge favor." / "Moon Lord? More like Moon BORE, after how you dealt with him! Hahah- yeah, that sucked."

(If the Moon Lord has been defeated and Dryad is present) "(Name of Dryad) has been a lot calmer recently... Heck, I even saw her smile at one of (Name of Tavernkeep)'s stupid puns! Who even does that?" / "With that Moon mess resolved, maybe (Name of Dryad) will finally have some free time."

Any and all suggestions for items and price changes and the like are welcome.

Last edited:
Just a quick note, traps are rather ineffective against the old one's army.

I would have thought a trap based NPC would be a Lihzahrd out of a job because they couldn't stop you from getting through the temple. I'm not actually going to oppose your choice though.

I do disagree with the slime rain triggering the NPC spawning. It can happen very early, before the eye of cthulhu if I remember correctly. The goblin invasion at least requires a trip past the evil of your world (or breaking a shadow orb/crimson heart which can get you some meteor stuff).

I do want those things to be sold, I had worldgen fail to give me the traps I actually wanted. Plus they can make interesting decorations.

Normally people post a sprite of the NPC, you put concept art. I don't remember seeing that before. Cool choice.

Just a quick note, traps are rather ineffective against the old one's army.

I would have thought a trap based NPC would be a Lihzahrd out of a job because they couldn't stop you from getting through the temple. I'm not actually going to oppose your choice though.

I do disagree with the slime rain triggering the NPC spawning. It can happen very early, before the eye of cthulhu if I remember correctly. The goblin invasion at least requires a trip past the evil of your world (or breaking a shadow orb/crimson heart which can get you some meteor stuff).

I do want those things to be sold, I had worldgen fail to give me the traps I actually wanted. Plus they can make interesting decorations.

Normally people post a sprite of the NPC, you put concept art. I don't remember seeing that before. Cool choice.

Yeah, I feel like they'd reference that in her dialogue somehow. Really I just referenced the Old One's army in the opening bit for laughs. XD

Well, we already have a Lihzahrd NPC as Gotcha said. Thought a Lamia would be a fun choice. Having the Witch Doctor show her how to make them was the next best thing.

To be fair, the only pre-hardmode invasion event besides the Slime Rain is the Goblin Invasion and I didn't want her to share a solid spawn condition with the tinkerer because I'm not a fan of redundancy.

And thanks! I've always been a better artist than spriter, and I really wanted to draw her.

To be fair, the only pre-hardmode invasion event besides the Slime Rain is the Goblin Invasion and I didn't want her to share a solid spawn condition with the tinkerer because I'm not a fan of redundancy.
Oh. I uh...I don't have a solution for that. Eh it's not that important. Moving on.

The wooden spikes don't damage enemies, only players. They shouldn't have a high sell price.

Totes support. We definitely need someone who sells the various traps imo (though I'm 100% biased towards an NPC that has a crush on another NPC of the same gender). Seriously though, the limited Lizahrd traps is something that's bugged me since I got into wiring and the like. The unique design helps as well.
Thank you!!! I'm glad you like it!

You, sir, have made me log in to vote yes to this idea.
Nah, seriously, I really like the idea, but if it would be a little weird it would be after a shower of Slimes, plus an inconsistent stunt. For example, a friend, had the first Slime Rain at 3 hours of play, but I did not have mine until the 20 hours of play...
By the way, Dialogues 10 out of 10. Cool Drawing tho.

You, sir, have made me log in to vote yes to this idea.
Nah, seriously, I really like the idea, but if it would be a little weird it would be after a shower of Slimes, plus an inconsistent stunt. For example, a friend, had the first Slime Rain at 3 hours of play, but I did not have mine until the 20 hours of play...
By the way, Dialogues 10 out of 10. Cool Drawing tho.
It's any invasion event, I just listed the Slime Rain as one.

Would be nice to have a definitive method of buying Jungle Temple traps. If for no other reason than Frost Moon is nearly impossible to get to wave 20 without traps in single player. With that in mind should lock the traps behind a temple key the way the witch doctor only sells pygmy items with the staff in inventory. Can't very well have such powerful traps in normal mode or even early hardmode.

May I ask the purpose of selling spikes and wooden spikes? Enemies don't take damage from them, what is the point? (I also don't foresee either ever damaging enemies.)

Would be nice to have a definitive method of buying Jungle Temple traps. If for no other reason than Frost Moon is nearly impossible to get to wave 20 without traps in single player. With that in mind should lock the traps behind a temple key the way the witch doctor only sells pygmy items with the staff in inventory. Can't very well have such powerful traps in normal mode or even early hardmode.

May I ask the purpose of selling spikes and wooden spikes? Enemies don't take damage from them, what is the point? (I also don't foresee either ever damaging enemies.)
Coulda sworn I listed them as post-plantera... I'll fix that if I didn't!

And you never know, players might want them. Could be used in like pvp maps, or for cosmetic stuff.

This is awesome! I'd really like to have this NPC in the game, even if she only sells the regular traps!
I never had a good time searching multiple temples for flame traps, and spear traps are quite rare as well...

Oh and the quotes you came up with are great :dryadwink:

Wonderful idea! But maybe there could be another trap added into the game, or something that automatically vacuums up items and puts them into a chest. Also, amazing concept art.

It doesn't seem too special, and I haven't had any issue with any invasion event. But I'd love more NPCs and this one seems pretty well-thought out.

Back
Top Bottom