Portfolio/Multi-Topic NPC Upgrades - Making NPCs More Useful

On a scale of 1-5, how much do you do you like this suggestion?

• 5 - Amazing!

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • 4 - Great!

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • 3 - Good!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 2 - Ok

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 1 - Bad.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Redstonetam15

Eater of Worlds
The title explains it. This suggestion is for the NPCs.

Quick Summary
Certain items in a specific NPCs room makes them sell more/ give more advice.
Lets get this started.

All NPC Quotes:
(When there is a Lunar Pillar in effect near a NPC Home) 2 quotes: "Oh god, why?" or, "You killed the Cultists for this? What kind of person are you?"
(After beating the Moon Lord) "You did it! Now we can finally rest."

Guide
If you put some books on his table and/or a bookcase in his room, he'll give you advice throughout Hardmode.
New Quotes:
(Before you have a bookshelf in his room) "H-hey, do you mind getting some books? It's kinda getting boring here without knowledge."
(After smashing a Demon/Crimson Altar) "You should dig down again after smashing them demon/crimson altars. I hear that there are new ores."
(After getting your first HM ore) "Like all other ores, you can smelt this down to get ingots."
(After getting Mythril/Orichalium Ore) "So you have Orichalium/Mythril? I have read that trying to forge with this on a normal anvil will destroy the anvil."
(After getting Adamantite/Titanium) "Your normal furnace nor your Hellforge will smelt this ore, you'll need a better boa- I mean furnace."
(Before defeating a Mechanical Boss) "I hear there are robots based off the three guardians of the world."
(After defeating a Mechanical Boss) "Beware the time when the sun is blotted out, horrible monsters will come."
(After Defeating Plantera) "Maybe you should check out the temple thing again, it might contain something.
(After Defeating Golem) "Beware of the Cult. Beware!"
(After Beating the Moon Lord) 'You have finally beaten him? You may summon him again to get powerful weapons."
(Rude Post-Pre-Hardmode quote) You're still asking me for tips? Newbie.
(Rude Post-Pre-Hardmode quote) Fine, I'll give you another tip. (insert any non-rude quote)
(Rude Post-Pre-Hardmode quote) Aren't you supposed to know the drill by now?

Merchant
Depending on what tier you are on, he will start selling better potions. When you beat the Wall of Flesh, he will start selling regular tier potions.

Arms Dealer
If you put an ammo box in his room, he will start selling High Velocity Bullets. He will also use a Shotgun after defeating Plantera.
(If under 50 HP) "You want me to end your misery?"

Tax Collector
If you put a Safe in his house, he will be able to hold up to 25 gold instead of 10 gold. He should also get new quotes.
New Quotes:
(If you have an Arms Dealer)"When I came to the [Name of Arms Dealer]'s place to collect taxes a second time, he said: 'Get out or I'll get your taxes.' The bastard! I'm trying to do my job!
(If you have the Pirate NPC) "Bah, that Pirate won't give up a bit of his money! Greedy little man."
(If there is an Angler) "(Angler) really ticks me off! Last time I went to collect taxes, he gave me fish. FISH! What am I supposed to do, sell it to the Traveling Merchant?"

Dryad
If you put Flower Pots in her room, she will sell Daybloom Seeds in the day, and in the night, she will sell Moonglow Seeds. Her attack will also give 10 defense instead of 8.
In hardmode, the Dryad will also randomly spew out green leaves that do 10 damage.
(If within 10 blocks of the Dryad for 1 in-game hour) "Are you going to stare or shop?"

Party Girl
(Once After Beating Any Boss) "Yay! You did it! We can have a party now!" or, "Yay! You did it! You want some ale after all the fighting?"
After the Moon Lord, she will use a Confetti Gun to shoot Confetti rapidly and randomly, doing no damage. She will also used a severely nerfed Celebration (30 Damage) to attack now, only shooting 1 rocket.

Angler
(If there is a Tax Collector) "(Tax Collector) Is real rude. I gave him a few silver, and he asked for some more. I said that that was all I had, and then he started yelling at me!"

Nurse
(If the Moon Lord is alive) "This is not the time for medical aid! Cthulhu's brother is rampaging outside. Do something! Drink a Potion! Slice his eyes up! Shoot him!"
(If there is a Party Girl and a party happened) "Can you knock some sense into (Party Girl)? I found her on the floor of (Party Host's) house!"

Hair Stylist
(If Party Girl is around) "Can you tell (Party Girl) to stop stealing my hair spray? Sure, I liked her rainbow hair while it lasted, but that was my newest dye!"

Last edited:
Sometimes threads take a little while to catch on; if you keep it in your signature, responses will come in time.

Thread's aren't guaranteed to get responses, so sometimes it may just not be a popular one.

Pretty sure it's to do with traffic time when you first post, not just the title. My post for instance hasn't gotten the views I'd like. I'm not sure if it's because people are confused over the subject matter/presentation.

I'd definitely like to see NPCs being upgraded. The Guide one is a nice touch, I think it'd be fitting if one or two of his dialogues in hard mode was to asks for books to help him studies! I mean if you Guide doesn't even know himself then that'd be kind of weird... maybe even add a one-time scipted thank you to the player when they do that for him in that world?

I don't really like the Merchant one. I'd be happier seeing him sell scaling potions instead. His potions could scale for how many bosses you've done in that world but he doesn't sell the most useful ones - Greater Healing Potion - until you've beaten the Moon Lord. This means that a player will still need to craft their own but the Merchant isn't stuck selling some of the most useless of items to the player. I mean who honestly wants to craft all their potions from tier one to X every single time?

I don't think the Arms Dealer should change weapons according to the player. Perhaps there could be a zero intervention for his weapon to scale naturally OR has a standard upgrade post hard mode?

The Tax Collector is a very novel NPC currently. I guess that suggestion works but it'd be much better if Re-Logic had actual plans for his uses.

Dryad one seems good.

-Edit-
Are you struggling with fruther ideas? Since it's a "work in progress" you might want to consider asking people to contribute their own in the OP.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's to do with traffic time when you first post, not just the title. My post for instance hasn't gotten the views I'd like. I'm not sure if it's because people are confused over the subject matter/presentation.

I'd definitely like to see NPCs being upgraded. The Guide one is a nice touch, I think it'd be fitting if one or two of his dialogues in hard mode was to asks for books to help him studies! I mean if you Guide doesn't even know himself then that'd be kind of weird... maybe even add a one-time scipted thank you to the player when they do that for him in that world?

I don't really like the Merchant one. I'd be happier seeing him sell scaling potions instead. His potions could scale for how many bosses you've done in that world but he doesn't sell the most useful ones - Greater Healing Potion - until you've beaten the Moon Lord. This means that a player will still need to craft their own but the Merchant isn't stuck selling some of the most useless of items to the player. I mean who honestly wants to craft all their potions from tier one to X every single time?

I don't think the Arms Dealer should change weapons according to the player. Perhaps there could be a zero intervention for his weapon to scale naturally OR has a standard upgrade post hard mode?

The Tax Collector is a very novel NPC currently. I guess that suggestion works but it'd be much better if Re-Logic had actual plans for his uses.

Dryad one seems good.

Do you plan on any other suggestions? If you'd like people to contribute their own you should state it in the OP.
*facepalm* why can no one read the dang prefix?!?!

(If you have an Arms Dealer)"When I came to the [Name of Arms Dealer]'s place to collect taxes a second time, he said: 'Get out or I'll take your money.' The bastard! I'm trying to do my job!

First of all I love the idea of NPC upgrades. However, I think you should reword this quote because Terraria has no cussing or salty language.

The Arms Dealer should rather sell unique bullets, specially as High Velocity bullets are already obtainable from NPCs, and he should rather switch to a Shotgun after defeating Plantera.

The title explains it. This suggestion is for the NPCs.

Quick Summary
Certain items in a specific NPCs room makes them sell more/ give more advice.
Lets get this started.

Guide
If you put some books on his table and/or a bookcase in his room, he'll give you advice throughout Hardmode.
New Quotes:
(Before you have a bookshelf in his room) "H-hey, do you mind getting some books? It's kinda getting boring here without knowledge."
(After smashing a Demon/Crimson Altar) "You should dig down again after smashing them demon/crimson altars. I hear that there are new ores."
(After getting your first HM ore) "Like all other ores, you can smelt this down to get ingots."
(After getting Mythril/Orichalium Ore) "Your normal anvil won't make tools out of this, you'll need a stronger anvil."
(After getting Adamantite/Titanium) "Your normal furnace nor your Hellforge will smelt this ore, you'll need a better forge."
(Before defeating a Mechanical Boss) "I hear there are robots based off the three guardians of the world."
(After defeating a Mechanical Boss) "Beware the time when the sun is blotted out, horrible monsters will come."
(More quotes coming soon!)

Merchant
Depending on what tier you are on, he will start selling better potions. When you beat the Wall of Flesh, he will start selling regular tier potions. Once you beat a Mechanical Boss, he will sell Greater HEALING Potions, though he will still sell regular mana potions. Once you've defeated the moon lord, the Merchant will sell Super Healing Potions, though he will still sell regular mana potions.

Arms Dealer
If you put an ammo box in his room, he will start selling High Velocity Bullets. He will also use a Boomstick after defeating Plantera.

Tax Collector
If you put a Safe in his house, he will be able to hold up to 25 gold instead of 10 gold. He should also get new quotes.
New Quotes:
(If you have an Arms Dealer)"When I came to the [Name of Arms Dealer]'s place to collect taxes a second time, he said: 'Get out or I'll get your taxes.' The bastard! I'm trying to do my job!
(If you have the Pirate NPC) "Bah, that Pirate won't give up a bit of his money!"

Dryad
If you put Flower Pots in her room, she will sell Daybloom and Waterleaf Seeds. Her attack will also give 10 defense instead of 8.
the guide betray you because you killed he.

I really like the idea of NPCs benefiting from having certain furniture. I'm less sure about some of the specific changes though. First instance why daybloom and waterleaf in particular for the dryad? How about if she sold different seeds depending on the phase of the moon? There's 8 phases and 7 herbs, so one day (probably new moon) she wouldn't sell anything, or she could sell something else, like mushrooms.

I'm also a little skeptical about the merchant selling greater and super healing potions, but upgrading to regular instead of lesser in hardmode sounds good for sure.

Last edited:
I really the idea of NPCs benefiting from having certain furniture. I'm less sure about some of the specific changes though. First instance why daybloom and waterleaf in particular for the dryad? How about if she sold different seeds depending on the phase of the moon? There's 8 phases and 7 herbs, so one day (probably new moon) she wouldn't sell anything, or she could sell something else, like mushrooms.

I'm also a little skeptical about the merchant selling greater and super healing potions, but upgrading to regular instead of lesser in hardmode sounds good for sure.
Removed that Greater and Super Healing Potions. :)

Back
Top Bottom