NPCs & Enemies NPCs: Reserved apartements

Would you like this feature in terraria?

• Yep

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • Dunno

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Pitri

Official Terrarian
One feature I would like in Terraria is the ability to give NPCs apartments, even if they're dead. If an NPC dies, the icon of the npc should lose it's color but still remain where it was instead of disappearing. This should affect the icon in the apartment as well as the icon in the menu.

As long as an apartment is reserved no other NPC can move in to occupy it. So the guide's room will be the guide's room even after a hardmode boss killed everything inside the house. After respawning the NPCs will move into their reservated room/house and you don't need to juggle and swap them until it's like before.

Of course there should be a way to delete the reservations. I thought there should be two ways.
  1. Assigning the room to another NPC. It should delete the reservation. Both new reservation and assignment of a living NPC should be able to overwrite it.
  2. A delete button in the NPC "menu". It should be able to delete a reservation, but not being able to delete the assignment of a living NPC.

It's just like the 1.3 spoiler where the NPCs aren't blocking chests and piggy banks anymore: A little feature that (hopefully) doesn't make too much work. I always hated situations when irrelevant NPCs occupied the room I wanted the guide to move in.

TerrariaReservedApartments.png

Last edited:
Neat idea, but im pretty sure in PC the NPC icon doesnt even appear anymore, the person just lives there. I kinda want that feature back though. Also, i think rather than having to re-summon an NPC every time one dies, he just comes back, with the same name and everything, like players do.

Neat idea, but im pretty sure in PC the NPC icon doesnt even appear anymore, the person just lives there.
I played terraria yesterday and the icons were definitely there. The Icons are not shown if your equipment menu is visible. Are you sure you changed to the NPC menu?

I played terraria yesterday and the icons were definitely there. The Icons are not shown if your equipment menu is visible. Are you sure you changed to the NPC menu?
Sorry, i just got the game a few days ago, i may have accidentally turned it off. Thanks!

Sounds ok-ish for some NPCs like the Guide, but what about NPCs like the Arms Dealer that only shows up when you have a gun or ammo in your inventory?

but what about NPCs like the Arms Dealer that only shows up when you have a gun or ammo in your inventory?
As far as I understood the NPC arrival mechanic, there's one trigger per NPC. If you unlock it, the NPC will spawn everytimes after he/she died, even if the conditions are not fulfilled anymore at this point.

I like this. Very simple and very effective. I assume you can't pre-reserve the rooms? I mean the NPC icon just doesnt go away, you have to manually tell them they can't live there anymore.

As far as I understood the NPC arrival mechanic, there's one trigger per NPC. If you unlock it, the NPC will spawn everytimes after he/she died, even if the conditions are not fulfilled anymore at this point.

Really? I always thought that the conditions had to be met again once they died. But how should I know, my NPCs have only died about once, and it was at a point in the game where I basically had everything in my inventory for them to spawn without me having to do anything.

I assume you can't pre-reserve the rooms? I mean the NPC icon just doesnt go away, you have to manually tell them they can't live there anymore.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind. If you assign a room to an NPC, its his/her own room, even after death. Of course you can still change it, but they can't screw your system anymore. No other NPC that thinks "Oh, another NPC died, let's move in this empty room".:p
The NPC icon only appers if the NPC has visited your world at least once. So you still can see which NPC is missing. Besides this would be spoiler free.

Last edited:
Was looking around in NPC suggestions to see if something had already been done, found this, really like it!

This is a really good idea. So often if my Truffle and some other NPC dies, the other NPC will spawn in the Truffle's house and keep the Truffle from spawning. That, and themed housing.

Perhaps you could go a step further, and also have an [X] banner, which allows you to specifically restrict NPCs from ever moving into a room, even if it's fully-furnished. For instance, MY ROOM. MINE. LET ME HAVE MY PRIVACY YOU NOSY TENANTS. That's basically what I'd have made a thread for, but I think it's relevant to append to this.

Suddenly: More activity! Well, I didn't expect that. :D
Perhaps you could go a step further, and also have an [X] banner, which allows you to specifically restrict NPCs from ever moving into a room, even if it's fully-furnished. For instance, MY ROOM. MINE. LET ME HAVE MY PRIVACY YOU NOSY TENANTS. That's basically what I'd have made a thread for, but I think it's relevant to append to this.
I don't think it wouldn't be necessary to implement this feature. Once a npc owns a room, it won't move into another room. I think a GUI shouldn't get too big and shouldn't become too complicated to use, when it gets more and more features. I don't even know if my suggested icon is too much for that overfilled GUI, when every NPC has arrived on your world.

This would be incredibly nice.

As when NPCs die, they always move in to my house, which is a big no-no.

Really? I always thought that the conditions had to be met again once they died. But how should I know, my NPCs have only died about once, and it was at a point in the game where I basically had everything in my inventory for them to spawn without me having to do anything.
If you had to meet the conditions everytime an Npc dies, the stylist wouldn't be worth the trouble imo
OT:
Yes pls this suggestion would make my life 90% easier red plis add

Yes.
Yes. I love it. Once, all my NPCs were killed, and now they all live in different rooms. Annoying. It will save the trouble of having to move around the flags. So, yes please.

Back
Top Bottom