Mobile NVIDIA SHIELD Controller - Constant Action/Attack Loop

Johnnylombax

Terrarian
I have been encountering a glitch in the Android version of Terraria on my NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1. When I connect my official NVIDIA Shield Controller (1st Generation model) to play, as soon as I press the action/attack button (the bottom right trigger AKA "R2") the game behaves as if the button is always held down from that point onward. Sometimes this occurs without me having pressed the button at all. This results in a constant swinging or firing of weapons, use of items, and placement of blocks, even when no buttons are being pressed at all, making the game unplayable with the controller.

Disconnecting the controller causes the issue to cease, and reconnecting causes it to start again. All other controls perform as they should. (Out of curiosity, I also tried this on the trial version of Terraria for Android, and the problem persists there as well.) Thus far, this is the only game or application that has had this kind of behavior with my NVIDIA Shield Controller. The controller has shown no signs of wear, and has performed perfectly (even the button in question) in every other instance.

I have tried the following with no success:
  • Pressing and releasing the trigger to see if it stops
  • Restarting the controller, game, and tablet
  • Reinstalling and updating the game
  • Updating the controller firmware
  • Factory resetting the NVIDIA Shield Tablet

I noticed there was another thread about this same issue, but it was about two years old, so I figured I should probably create a new thread with more updated and detailed information. The post also mentions the problem being occasional, whereas mine is constant. The old thread can be found here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/nvidia-shield-controller-bug.22849/

I have been encountering a glitch in the Android version of Terraria on my NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1. When I connect my official NVIDIA Shield Controller (1st Generation model) to play, as soon as I press the action/attack button (the bottom right trigger AKA "R2") the game behaves as if the button is always held down from that point onward. Sometimes this occurs without me having pressed the button at all. This results in a constant swinging or firing of weapons, use of items, and placement of blocks, even when no buttons are being pressed at all, making the game unplayable with the controller.

Disconnecting the controller causes the issue to cease, and reconnecting causes it to start again. All other controls perform as they should. (Out of curiosity, I also tried this on the trial version of Terraria for Android, and the problem persists there as well.) Thus far, this is the only game or application that has had this kind of behavior with my NVIDIA Shield Controller. The controller has shown no signs of wear, and has performed perfectly (even the button in question) in every other instance.

I have tried the following with no success:
  • Pressing and releasing the trigger to see if it stops
  • Restarting the controller, game, and tablet
  • Reinstalling and updating the game
  • Updating the controller firmware
  • Factory resetting the NVIDIA Shield Tablet

I noticed there was another thread about this same issue, but it was about two years old, so I figured I should probably create a new thread with more updated and detailed information. The post also mentions the problem being occasional, whereas mine is constant. The old thread can be found here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/nvidia-shield-controller-bug.22849/
Unfortunately, the only controllers that are supported are the MOGA Hero Power and Logitech PowerShell according to 505 Games here: https://support.505games.com/en/sup...trollers-are-supported-by-terraria-on-mobile-

So if you're having bugs or glitches with other controllers I'm afraid it might not be something that would be officially looked into. If you'd like to talk with 505 Games directly and see if they have any better news about your issue, you can open a Support Ticket with them here (you'll need to make an account to open a ticket): https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

I sent a support ticket in about five months ago and 505 Games sent me a link to their bug report formsite to fill out some information, but I haven't heard anything from them since. Strangely enough, no record of my support ticket exists on their site anymore, even under the Archived Tickets tab. I had to go digging through my browser history today to recall if I had gotten all the way through the support process.

Maybe I should try again? It seems like my old ticket kinda dropped off the face of the earth. I guess I should also try shooting an email to the NVidia Shield support team and see if they have any ideas.

I sent a support ticket in about five months ago and 505 Games sent me a link to their bug report formsite to fill out some information, but I haven't heard anything from them since. Strangely enough, no record of my support ticket exists on their site anymore, even under the Archived Tickets tab. I had to go digging through my browser history today to recall if I had gotten all the way through the support process.

Maybe I should try again? It seems like my old ticket kinda dropped off the face of the earth. I guess I should also try shooting an email to the NVidia Shield support team and see if they have any ideas.
You can always ask them again. It may be that there isn't going to be any follow up though. By sending in the bug report that could be the end if it. Sometimes bug reports are just sending in the information, and then they take it from there - or they get the info and it's not something they consider a bug so nothing needs to be done. I don't imagine there would be follow up to every bug report - whether they fix the bug or not.

And they may consider the support ticket of it resolved by asking you to send in more info via the bug report. Not sure. But that's my take on it. :)

Back
Top Bottom