Items Obsidian Fishing Rod

How do you like this idea?

• It could use a lot of work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This idea is 0% good. You should try harder.

• Why not just give the Golden Pole the ability to lava-fish?

• Total voters

nphelps220

Official Terrarian
We've all had problems getting the Hotline Fishing Hook. It has such a low spawn chance, takes so much work to get, and is even unobtainable in certain versions due to a glitch that causes the angler to not recognise completed quests. In the meantime, the supply of looted Inferno Potions dwindles...

I propose a solution to this madness: the Obsidian Fishing Rod! Like the Hotline, it can fish in lava, but has nowhere near as much fishing power (marginally higher than a wooden pole.) That's what happens when you dangle a crudely-made rod of obsidian and molten rocks above a liquid!

It would be crafted with Obsidian (around 20) and Hellstone (around 5). The primary purpose isn't for extra Fishing Power or a cheap hook. Instead, this serves as a way to get Inferno Potions, Underworld quest fish, and the Obsidian Swordfish without having to spend your entire life as an errand monkey waiting for a rare chance to maybe possibly get a Hotline Hook. (This would also make the Swordfish useful, since you'll probably get the Hotline long after you've obtained a better spear like the Mushroom Spear or Gugnir.)

I think a much easier change that accomplishes essentially the same thing is moving the Hotline Fishing Rod into shadow chests. If you feel like that makes the shadow chest loot table too crowded, we could also make the Hellwing Bow a drop from hellbats, instead.

That's a good idea. In fact, the only problem I can see with that would be that the Mechanic's fishing pole (Hardmode-only) would be completely outclassed. But as it stands, the Sitting Duck and Golden already outclass everything except for the Hotline, and those can be found before you even beat a single boss, so the changes aren't too relevant. Additionally, that would give the Shadow Chests meaning to Melee and Summoner characters, since Shadow Chest loot is outclassed/absent. Hellwing Bow dropping from Hellbats also makes a ton of sense.

Back
Top Bottom