PS Vita Occasional crash while saving

Aurora

Terrarian
It seems that for the PS Vita version only (haven't tried for PS3, and doesn't occur for PS4 afaik), while your saving, there's currently a high chance that it crashes the game, which at a low chance could corrupt your characters/worlds (from what others are saying). When it crashes, if your file didn't get corrupted, it'll revert back to your last save, losing any progress after that (which sucks since I once lost a Wisp in a Bottle like that; I saved since I found it and then it crashed lol, and I didn't have it anymore after reopening it).

It occurs with manual save, auto-save, and saving while exiting a world (Save and Exit option). It also seems to crash when the save progress is about 75% done, and it has been occurring since the 1.2 update port. It hasn't been fixed in the June 4 update since it crashed again yesterday. In fact, since that update, it occurs a lot more often compared to occasional/rarely.

So...
1.2 port update - occurs rarely
June 4 update and later - occurs often, not worth playing

Thanks, and let me know if you need more information~

Last edited:
It is crashing a lot more for me. Usually at save but once in a while when I push select to see the map. Have about 3 crashes every hour. Also it does crash with auto-save in my game.

Also the game still do crashes after playing for 30-50 minutes in and during autosave or manually saving the game.
The only work around I fund is, Just stop moving when auto save happen (ASAP), press start and wait till auto save is finish.
Same go for manually save, just stay in the save screen option menu during saving, and wait for save to finish before continue playing Terraria.

I post this on another bug post, have you guys/gals try pressing start and wait out the save before playing again?
Because this work for me to stop the crashes and like to know if this will work for others.

I post this on another bug post, have you guys/gals try pressing start and wait out the save before playing again?
Because this work for me to stop the crashes and like to know if this will work for others.

I've tried that and unfortunately doesn't work for me (crashed at least once or twice while waiting it out). I mean, it even once crashed while it was saving and exiting the game. I'm pretty positive that no matter what we do, it can crash, but perhaps there's also other things that can crash it further (such as moving/checking map), but I haven't been able to find a pattern except for it crashing at about 75% save progress every time it does crash.

I do have the same problem, and I did research some things, wich are:

-the crashes happen after not saving for about 6-8 minutes. The next time you save/open map it will crash.
-reinstalling , formatting memory stick / vita system does NOT work. I have tried this on 2 Psvita systems already to see if it could be some error with just 1 system.
-it will most certainly happen when you teleport to a spawn RIGHT after the Travelling merchant arrives. (Tested on both systems, 20-ish times. System 1 had the home in a living tree near jungle. System 2 had a home at natural spawn. )
-it happens only after the 1.07 update, as for both the systems had no problems before.
-it DID cause my main world to become corrupted after it crashed while saving. (Gg stuff.)
-saving every 2-3 minutes seems to solve most of the crashes.

I have contacted 505 games multiple times, and tried everything they said( reboot, restart application , format memory / system.) But nothing seems to solve the problem.

I will update this post if I have more information. Cheers.

Thanks for the info. I haven't experienced a map crash yet, probably because I'm always constantly checking my map lol - I did thought that crashing after not saving for a while could be one of the causes as it feels like that happened to me a lot.

I'll try contacting 505games directly soon enough, but their website haven't been working for me recently.

I am honestly getting pretty sick of the crashes. I wonder how many actually have this problem, since I do not see anyone posting this problem either. But 1 thing I do know, is that playing Terraria on my Psvita is the opposite of enjoyable now. Continously playing in fear of crashing while SAVING. you know, saving should be something to be happy about - so your progress is "safe". But I am fearing a crash every save, and since it even lead to corrupting my main world, I fear for the "safety" of my world, too. 505 games has not yet responded to the message I send them through contact. (The message is from 9 june) I love terraria, but playing it like this is not enjoyable. I really hope there will be a fix/workaround for this soon. And as stated in my previous post, rebooting, formatting either the Vita system or memory card does NOT work. Also: when saving WHILE the travelling merchant spawns, it crashes too.

Indeed, I've been playing on Vita (as opposed to PS4) for the past few days, and I'm always fearing when I save my game, especially when I find rare stuff. Luckily, I haven't lost anything major recently when it did crash, but it's getting out of hand.

I've been trying to find other causes for crashing by doing various stuff, and taking note of the things you've said above, but it feels like it just crashes randomly for me with no clear pattern (though I didn't try everything you mentioned above since I rather not crash lol, except for saving every 1-4 minutes, but I'm not sure if that helps me).

I did try using a random character in a random world and saving constantly to see what would happen, but I couldn't crash it (figures), I'll try that again later though. I wonder if it's a memory issue.

I'll try contacting 505games/Engine Software sometime today.

Okay, so after the 1.2.3 update, I have been having a problem with playing Terraria on the PS3. I start up the game, and everything goes fine and dandy, for a while anyway.
After about the 1 hour mark, the game will suddenly, and randomly crash. It seems to happen most the time when the game attempts to save progress after the hour mark, regardless if it's a manual save or an auto save. Luckily, it doesn't corrupt data, and will just set the game back to the previous, uninterrupted save point. When it crashes, it will black screen before going back to the Playstation home menu, but on very rare occasions, it will freeze up everything to the point you can't exit via the PS button, and must restart the console via the power button.

Usually I would just pass it off as a system glitch, but it happens almost every time I play the game, and didn't start till after the last major update.
It's nothing game-breaking, and doesn't kill the enjoyment of the game, but can be slightly frustrating at points (like when you finally drop rare equipment, only to have it crashing while you're trying to save progress.)

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

i have the same problem with crashing. mainly after i get a rare item or ikill a mimic the game will crash on my vita while saving

That's pretty annoying. I haven't had a corrupted world yet, but I do lots of cross save/PS plus backups. I pretty much gave up playing on Vita for now...except for using it as a map to find Orange Bloodroots lol (since it's easier to see stuff on the map there) - I hope it gets fixed soon too. I also contacted them, but waiting for their response now~

I have this same issue. I was searching for more Adamantite for an hour or so when it crashed. Boooooo! All my hard work lost :(.

It will be nice to have this fixed. How did you guys contact support?

(PS Terraria is my favorite game ever :) )

This keeps happening to me as well... Its soooooo annoying, but it on ps3.

Last edited:
Same here. the crashes on Vita are kind of discouraging. Makes me not even want to play sometimes. Enjoy the game, one of my faves, but If I might lose my progress...

I haven't been able to distinguish a pattern in the crashes on my Vita. It happens when I play for ten minutes or two hours. It happens when I get something rare or when I'm just putzing around looking for stuff. There has been no rhyme or reason but I've lost hours of work multiple times. I'm so frustrated at this point.

I haven't been able to distinguish a pattern in the crashes on my Vita. It happens when I play for ten minutes or two hours. It happens when I get something rare or when I'm just putzing around looking for stuff. There has been no rhyme or reason but I've lost hours of work multiple times. I'm so frustrated at this point.
Have you tried reinstalling Terraria?

Back
Top Bottom