Weapons & Equip Occult Thorn - Magic Casting for the Crimson

TheSquishyDitto

Terrarian
Currently, mages in Crimson worlds only really have the Mana Flower to look forward to in terms of mana restoration accessories, and although by no means is the Mana Flower bad, it seems unfair to the Crimson to not have some cool alternative.

To that end, I introduce a new accessory, the Occult Thorn! Alternate names: Ritual Thorn, Ritual Rose

qWq3oZw.png
(I'm not good at small sprites; subject to change)
Occult Thorn
Tooltip:
"6-10% reduced mana usage (however much is found appropriate)
Slowly regenerates life.
Uses life to cast spells in a pinch.
Blood for the blood god!"

Possible Recipe:
Nature%27s_Gift.png
Nature's Gift,
Band_of_Regeneration.png
Band of Regeneration,
Panic_Necklace.png
Panic Necklace

When a player equipped with this runs out of mana, they start directly using their life to fuel their magic weapons. While using life for spellcasting, magic damage is increased by somewhere between 10-40%, depending on what you all find as appropriate compensation for losing health. Using life for spellcasting wouldn't incur a damage event, meaning you wouldn't be invincible or continuously spew bees from your mouth with an equipped Honeycomb, but it also wouldn't affect your current health regeneration rate, so as long as you don't get hit by anything your life will continue to rapidly regenerate, therefore you'll want to focus on dodging. Additionally, depending on whether the recipe includes the Panic Necklace or not, while consuming life the Thorn would continuously apply the Panic buff to improve your dodging ability. To take some of the sting out of draining life, it provides whatever life regeneration bonus that the Band of Regeneration has or ends up with.

This suggestion would synergize effectively and thematically well with my idea to change the Band of Regeneration by buffing it and making it a Crimson-exclusive. It would also be nice if SzGamer227's Cordial Magnet was implemented to upgrade the Thorn to a heart-sucking analog of the star-sucking Celestial Cuffs.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Interesting If it were to be a problem you could probably modify it so that its costs higher than the guilty armor's lifesteal, maybe the longer you burn your lifeforce the more it takes? Really if it turns broken you could simply remove the damage bonus or make it decay over time. If it doesn't turn out broken I feel its a neat idea I approve.

Last edited:
Interesting If it were to be a problem you could probably modify it so that its cost s higher than the guilty armor's lifesteal, maybe the longer you burn your lifeforce the more it takes? Really if it turns broken you could simply remove the damage bonus or make it decay over time. If it doesn't turn out broken I feel its a neat idea I approve.
All a matter of balancing some numbers, just wanted to get the concept out there. :)
If it were to turn out broken I think it would be more of the Spectre Hood's fault than anything, since when using the right weapons (Magnet Sphere, Nimbus Rod, R. Typhoon, Bat Scepter) with the Hood and Mana Cuffs I can still facetank most bosses and (current) Moon events when you're not supposed to be able to do that. If an item works as intended with every armor set except one, I would blame the armor set rather than the accessory. In the event that the Occult Thorn was added and did work a little too well with the Spectre Hood, I'd feel that Redigit would be justified in adding the "increased mana cost" effect back to the Hood's set effect.

All a matter of balancing some numbers, just wanted to get the concept out there. :)
If it were to turn out broken I think it would be more of the Spectre Hood's fault than anything, since when using the right weapons (Magnet Sphere, Nimbus Rod, R. Typhoon, Bat Scepter) with the Hood and Mana Cuffs I can still facetank most bosses and (current) Moon events when you're not supposed to be able to do that. If an item works as intended with every armor set except one, I would blame the armor set rather than the accessory. In the event that the Occult Thorn was added and did work a little too well with the Spectre Hood, I'd feel that Redigit would be justified in adding the "increased mana cost" effect back to the Hood's set effect.
Not sure thats the best solution but I get the concept lets avoid that debate people really got mad there... yeah... Honestly I don't know if the damage bonus is needed but hey...

Not sure thats the best solution but I get the concept lets avoid that debate people really got mad there... yeah... Honestly I don't know if the damage bonus is needed but hey...
Agreed. Damage bonus may not be needed, could be miniscule, it's a flexible number which is why I didn't settle on one. I just thought that putting your life in danger to keep shooting needed more appeal to match up to what the Magic Cuffs currently do, since they generally restore more mana than the damage you actually take, whereas the Occult Thorn just treats your health directly as a second mana pool, one-to-one. So my line of thinking was that for a Magic Cuff user, the same amount of health translates to a higher firing capacity, so I wanted to make up for that difference by making the Occult Thorn's user's health translate to proportionately more potent spells. Quantity vs. quality. :p

It's an interesting idea. The only thing I'd change is that rather than decrease mana usage on spells, make it have a higher health regen rate. This is mainly because it turns your mage into a life drainer trying to out-survive your opponents. Decreasing mana usage would just delay the damage buff most likely wanted by this kind of item.

Back
Top Bottom