Switch Ocean crash

Kenjuichi

Terrarian
Hi, and thank you for making such an amazing game.

In a large worlds when I try to go to the ocean always to the right side of the map and I'm trying to run on the bottom and keep right, just a bit after the middle of the ocean my game always crashes. I test it 7 times on a new world's and it always crashes.
Game crush either autosave is on or off.
Can you fix it?
Thanks
edit: After the crashes I find out that I lost most of my money, this money was saved before the crashes. instead of 283 gold now i have only 83 gold.
The money was stored in the piggy bank.

Last edited:
Yeah that happens to me as well. There isnt much i can do about the situation so the way i do it is that i make a small bridge and fish from there. There is a good chance to grab treasure thats inside the ocean if its not to far off.

Its ok. I gotten used to the ocean crashing. Luckily i managed to get to the point that one step forward and it crashes. It was a lot of trial and error but i managed to do it.

Hi, and thank you for making such an amazing game.

In a large worlds when I try to go to the ocean always to the right side of the map and I'm trying to run on the bottom and keep right, just a bit after the middle of the ocean my game always crashes. I test it 7 times on a new world's and it always crashes.
Game crush either autosave is on or off.
Can you fix it?
Thanks
edit: After the crashes I find out that I lost most of my money, this money was saved before the crashes. instead of 283 gold now i have only 83 gold.
The money was stored in the piggy bank.
Yeah that happens to me as well. There isnt much i can do about the situation so the way i do it is that i make a small bridge and fish from there. There is a good chance to grab treasure thats inside the ocean if its not to far off.
Hi @Kenjuichi and @Dreamsage, there is a known issue right now with large worlds and the right ocean. A workaround is if you zoom all the way out, you can enter your right ocean. Zoom out before approaching, and if you zoom at all in it will crash again.

Hi @Kenjuichi and @Dreamsage, there is a known issue right now with large worlds and the right ocean. A workaround is if you zoom all the way out, you can enter your right ocean. Zoom out before approaching, and if you zoom at all in it will crash again.

Thankfully you guys are at least aware of this massive ocean bug, after a quick search on Google you can see that there's been posts for well over a year about it, ridiculous.

What a scam though, I can't believe I bought this version of Terraria. Originally it was specifically to play split screen with someone only to find out that you guys lied about the split screen. Oh well though right? At least it's Terraria on the switch, bought a second copy for said person to play on their switch only for us to run into bug after bug and crash the game repeatedly when trying to play it.

I saw the announcement that split screen is apparently coming in the next update. I have no idea why you guys even released this buggy mess in the first place. For $30 too?? Like three times the price point... are you serious? I remember buying PC keys for my friends on sale for like $5.99. This is a complete joke, I'll be returning both my copies of the switch version and playing strictly on PC.

Thankfully you guys are at least aware of this massive ocean bug, after a quick search on Google you can see that there's been posts for well over a year about it, ridiculous.

What a scam though, I can't believe I bought this version of Terraria. Originally it was specifically to play split screen with someone only to find out that you guys lied about the split screen. Oh well though right? At least it's Terraria on the switch, bought a second copy for said person to play on their switch only for us to run into bug after bug and crash the game repeatedly when trying to play it.

I saw the announcement that split screen is apparently coming in the next update. I have no idea why you guys even released this buggy mess in the first place. For $30 too?? Like three times the price point... are you serious? I remember buying PC keys for my friends on sale for like $5.99. This is a complete joke, I'll be returning both my copies of the switch version and playing strictly on PC.
I completely understand your frustration. Here is some extra info if it helps...

The ocean bug was thought to be fixed in an update a bit ago. It was 100% unable to be reproduced in the dev kits that were used for testing - once the update went live it was somehow still a bug in non-dev kits that the public plays on.

Splitscreen on the Switch has been released. More info here: Switch - Splitscreen Terraria Launches on Nintendo Switch

The pricing of a console game is not as simple as it is on PC. Unlike PC, console pricing is not set solely by the developer/publisher.

All of this is not to try to change your mind, whatever your feelings of the Switch version is, that’s your prerogative, just trying to give more details on some things.

I completely understand your frustration. Here is some extra info if it helps...

The ocean bug was thought to be fixed in an update a bit ago. It was 100% unable to be reproduced in the dev kits that were used for testing - once the update went live it was somehow still a bug in non-dev kits that the public plays on.

Splitscreen on the Switch has been released. More info here: Switch - Splitscreen Terraria Launches on Nintendo Switch

The pricing of a console game is not as simple as it is on PC. Unlike PC, console pricing is not set solely by the developer/publisher.

All of this is not to try to change your mind, whatever your feelings of the Switch version is, that’s your prerogative, just trying to give more details on some things.

Thank you for the reply and all the information. I'll see if I can get split screen working. I hope you know that my anger isn't directed at you, I'm a longtime player and supporter of the game so I was pretty upset with our experience when I've only played the PC version prior.

The update number is very odd on the Switch (v1.0.1168.9) but I've been told it's update 1.3.5( I believe) any idea when the devs will be able to push Bug fixes and the 1.4 to consoles? I wanted to try the update with my partner.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply and all the information. I'll see if I can get split screen working. I hope you know that my anger isn't directed at you, I'm a longtime player and supporter of the game so I was pretty upset with our experience when I've only played the PC version prior.

The update number is very odd on the Switch (v1.0.1168.9) but I've been told it's update 1.3.5( I believe) any idea when the devs will be able to push Bug fixes and the 1.4 to consoles? I wanted to try the update with my partner.
When I tried going to the Ocean completely zoomed out, I still crashed. Ugh
Yes, the Switch is equivalent to PC version 1.3.5. Console version numbers use a different pattern. Lots of news about the console development can be read here (no estimate of a release date to bring Switch to 1.4 though): Terraria State of the Game - August 2020

It still crashed even when zoom was at 0%? Strange. That should be a dependable workaround.

Yes,It still crashed even when zoom was at 0%? Strange. That should be a dependable workaround.
I have approached the end of the right ocean completely zoomed out on 5 large worlds, and it crashes every single time for me. (I play at 0% zoom ~90% of the time anyhow.)

I also tried making a room and placing a bed to spawn a character in the ‘crash zone.’ This results in the game crashing every time in the “drawing map” phase of loading the world with that character, until I break that bed with a different character.

Is there no other way to work around the crash? It’s quite frustrating for something so simple to crash the game like this.

I can confirm this as well. I took a short video to confirm that zooming out to 0% does not work anymore. Version 1.0.1168.9

Back
Top Bottom