Old Final Fantasy VS Modern Final Fantasy Discussion.

Old or Modern?

• Old

• Modern

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

Metoot

Plantera
So what do you think is better? Old or Modern?

In my opinion old FF games is way more intresting. Open world, nice design and etc.

Depend on what you call "old", but even then...

Final Fantasy 2 was garbage, Final Fantasy 5 and 6 can go die in a fire, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/A2 were the only Final Fantasy of this century I played for more than a few hours. Mystic Quest and all other spinoffs are one of the reasons I tend to pass on spinoffs.

So, both old and new have hits and misses, new has less hits.

I really liked VII and IX. But my favorites will always be FFT and FFTa2. IDK if that counts as modern or old.

I only played FFTA on VBA, with cheats... *coughs*
Well, I did enjoy the second clean run, but save scumming was stronk in me, even then.

Didn't play 1~3, but 4~6 was acceptable, in my opinion.

7~9 was out when I was still young(played the older version when I was older).... I couldn't understand half of what they were saying. Cue frustrations for not getting the story and instruction. :rolleyes:
Never even finished them.

FFX was... well.... Lulu was great! Yeah! Haven't played FFX-II because apparently, all the copies of the damned thing is corrupted in my country. I suppose I should pick it up in my PCSX2.

And FFXII was absolutely... I can't even... I wished Vaan could, at the very least, change into better clothes. The combat system didn't really appeal to me either.

Never played anything before 7. Hated 7 with a passion. I guess I was frustrated cause I didn't really see all the hype that everyone was generating around it. People raving about it, I couldn't experience it that same feeling, I suppose. It just felt really bland.

8 Was probably the first one I got into fully, as a kid. It was an amazing experience for me, who didn't have much experience with the genre. Right after I played that, I spent time with FFT after seeing it in a magazine. One of my favorite games ever. FFTA and FFTA2 came after. I would play the hell out of a 3DS Final Fantasy Tactics. Perhaps Advance 3?

I briefly played 9, not enough to really give too in-depth of an opinion.

Played 10 inside, out, and backwards. One of my favorites. Didn't play 10-2 much, not enough to get into it at least.

12 was pretty amazing for me. It made me feel like I was playing an MMO at times, which I'd never played. Lots of fun things to do, marks and the like. Great system.

13, oh boy. I have a love-hate relationship with it. Well, a like-hate relationship with it. Coming off from 12, I expected it to be more of what 12 was. More like 12. I was excited. I enjoy open world roaming, I enjoy tons of sidequests, lots of hidden features...tons of content that I could be doing when I'm not working on the main quest...I got none of that from 13. It was almost non-existent. The story interested me, however. The battle system was...something that could have been a lot greater. I don't understand why the need for an autobattle button, and I kind of expected to be able to freely control my character and dodge AOE and attack manually.

Paradigm shifts were a good idea that I kind of liked, but it still seemed like a downgrade from 12 in every respect. I wanted to develop my characters and customize their skills, but the customization of skills in FF13 was so linear. And yeah, the game boasted a large amount of "paradigm combinations" but in the end, you only ever needed 6 sets. A set specifically for debuffing, one for healing. One for defense. Thanks to how paradigm stacking worked. If this game were 20 dollars, I would have liked it. But it was 60 when I bought it. I didn't get what I thought I was. I enjoyed the experience, but the game was one long cutscene. The open world was just moving between cutscenes. Even the battle was a cutscene. You could make it battle for you.

13-2: I tried to get into it. The whole time travelling nonsense confused me and my PS3 got sold before I could really finish the game. Or even get 25% in. (If even that.)

13-3: I haven't played it, but I'm curious to how it plays. The battle system looks a bit more like what I was hoping for, and I do like playing dress up. Maybe when it comes to steam and is hopefully 20 dollars.

TL;DR: I dunno that I'd prefer "old" or "New" ones myself. As some of the old ones I hated / haven't experienced, and some of the new ones suffer the same fate.

I am a new Final Fantasy fan, so I might not be qualified enough to talk on this. I've played half an hour of FF4 and FF9, and I've been playing the FF7 Remake recently.

I really enjoy the open world feel of the FF7 Remake, and I'm hoping to try and emulate FF4 soon.

Basically, I don't really care if the games I'm playing are good or not. If I like the story and the gameplay then that's good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom