PC Old gamer, new to Terraria.

If you could choose between the ability to speed time up, or slow it down... Which would you choose?

• Speed it up!

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Slow it down!

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Leave it just the way it is!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

jingbadguy

Terrarian
Hello Terraria community!

Just downloaded Terraria last night and have only figured out a few things here and there... But I would really like to get together with some friendly players willing to explain some fundamentals regarding progression. Im used to quest based games for the most part so the lack of in game direction has me kinda stumped.

I find its easier to learn from players in game rather then read through the plethora of guides and what not across the net. So if there's some people out there that would like to group up and casually go through some tid bits I'd be most grateful.

Also interested in whatever mods that may be suggested to enhance the visual delight of the game like custom weapons/armors/blocks, etc... (Im a sucker for all things custom when it comes to making my player look the way i want and variety makes it all the more beter!)

Also, I need to point out that I happen to be colorblind (SO hard to explain this) So if anyone knows a beter way to enhance the cursor so i dont keep constantly loosing it in the vastly changing backgrounds and blocks I'd be in your debt.)

Feel free to hit me up on steam or leave me a msg here and ill look forward to meeting you very soon!

Best regards....

Atom.

(IGN: varries but usually consists of Dweezel or Jingbadguy.)

Welcome to the Terrarian community buddy!
As for learning to play, all you need is in game!
The Guide NPC gives you some tips which get you started and he shows you crafting recipes.
I suggest you learn by yourself how to play the game so you would have your own unique approach rather then the same approach another x people who read the guide have.
Be your own teacher, do whatever the hell you want, mine better ores, and if you really get stuck, you can always check the wiki!

Enjoy your stay and have fun! ^^

The Guide, the guy who spawns in the world with you, should help nudge you in the right direction.
Go mining, gather resources, make some more houses, and prepare for a tumble against the game's first boss.
He can be summoned by getting six lenses and combining them at a demon/crimson altar. The demon altar is the thing with spikes, the crimson altar is all blood and guts and has eyeballs on it.
Lenses are obtained by killing those annoying floating eyeballs that try to headbutt you at night.

Also, try gathering some bombs and tackling the corruption/crimson, two difficult locations that hide great rewards.
The corruption has massive pits that generally leave you to your death, and the crimson has long, eerie caves the resemble hands or organs when viewed on the map.
Take the bombs, and look for orb-like things in the corruption, or heart like things in the crimson.
When destroyed, you'll be rewarded...but you don't want to destroy TOO many, or else you'll be fighting a terror that is meant to be fought after the first boss.
There's a lot more to cover, but I can only teach a newbie so much at a time.

Welcome to the Terrarian community buddy!
As for learning to play, all you need is in game!
The Guide NPC gives you some tips which get you started and he shows you crafting recipes.
I suggest you learn by yourself how to play the game so you would have your own unique approach rather then the same approach another x people who read the guide have.
Be your own teacher, do whatever the hell you want, mine better ores, and if you really get stuck, you can always check the wiki!

Enjoy your stay and have fun! ^^

Thanks for the welcome.... I've been exploring non stop since downloading.... Making so many various maps to see differences and what not. Kinda stuck in pre-hard mode. Getting rocked in underworld at the moment. lol

The Guide, the guy who spawns in the world with you, should help nudge you in the right direction.
Go mining, gather resources, make some more houses, and prepare for a tumble against the game's first boss.
He can be summoned by getting six lenses and combining them at a demon/crimson altar. The demon altar is the thing with spikes, the crimson altar is all blood and guts and has eyeballs on it.
Lenses are obtained by killing those annoying floating eyeballs that try to headbutt you at night.

Also, try gathering some bombs and tackling the corruption/crimson, two difficult locations that hide great rewards.
The corruption has massive pits that generally leave you to your death, and the crimson has long, eerie caves the resemble hands or organs when viewed on the map.
Take the bombs, and look for orb-like things in the corruption, or heart like things in the crimson.
When destroyed, you'll be rewarded...but you don't want to destroy TOO many, or else you'll be fighting a terror that is meant to be fought after the first boss.
There's a lot more to cover, but I can only teach a newbie so much at a time.

Aye... Good advice and was the plan i had in the back of my head. Just got the dryad npc (since im short on bombs i figured id use the item she sells. Ive rin into the eye of cathulu and the skeleton as well as the Bee so far...

Rocket boots, cloud in a bottle, wings and a longer range on my graple would be a huge help.

Aye... Good advice and was the plan i had in the back of my head. Just got the dryad npc (since im short on bombs i figured id use the item she sells. Ive rin into the eye of cathulu and the skeleton as well as the Bee so far...
Rocket boots, cloud in a bottle, wings and a longer range on my graple would be a huge help.
Rocket boots are sold by the Goblin Tinkerer, who can be obtained by defeating an entire goblin army and searching underground for him.
The cloud in a bottle can be found in pretty much any golden chest, so keep your eyes open.
Wings are exclusive to hard-mode, an require you to defeat Wyverns...who spawn in Hard-mode. They're very powerful, and constant movement is required when fighting this beast.
For a longer grapple, try getting something like a diamond grapple...unless that's the one you have.
When you hit hardmode, go looking for mimics.They can drop really good stuff, including an upgrade to the grappling hook.
You're gonna want to take on the corruption/crimson, as their bosses drop stuff that can give you amazing armor and weapons that'll last you long in pre-hardmode.

Rocket boots are sold by the Goblin Tinkerer, who can be obtained by defeating an entire goblin army and searching underground for him.
The cloud in a bottle can be found in pretty much any golden chest, so keep your eyes open.
Wings are exclusive to hard-mode, an require you to defeat Wyverns...who spawn in Hard-mode. They're very powerful, and constant movement is required when fighting this beast.
For a longer grapple, try getting something like a diamond grapple...unless that's the one you have.
When you hit hardmode, go looking for mimics.They can drop really good stuff, including an upgrade to the grappling hook.
You're gonna want to take on the corruption/crimson, as their bosses drop stuff that can give you amazing armor and weapons that'll last you long in pre-hardmode.

Awesome... Ive managed to aquire the bottle and boots... and working within the dungeon but now i need to know... where the heck to i get enough gold keys for all dem locked chests lol. So many in there. lol So far im still using a normal grapple but just got my first few diamonds so if i get more ill make that diamond grapple soon. the corruption still confuses me at this point. Not being able to break the bricks and the whatchamacallit-spiky things that kill me if i use my hammer on them (took me a wile to figure out NOT to have my hammer out lol)

The armor im using is a full set of shadow... so not sure really what to use instead. Also managed to get the minishark gun, really liking that. But stuck still using this godly gold pickaxe... (no clue how to make a beter one yet.)

Gold keys drop from dungeon mobs occasionally, and go see if you have enough demonite and shadow scales to make a nightmare pickaxe, it can mine the corruption's stone and the dungeon's bricks.
It also can mine Hellstone.
Also, you can't break the Demon Altars(spiky things).You have to pwn them.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, when you go and loot every chest you can in the dungeon and get yourself a cobalt shield, you'll be ready to take on HELL.
The Nightmare pickaxe will enable you to mine obsidian and, as already stated, Hellstone. You'll be able to get Molten Armor and the powerful firey greatsword...
OH YEAH! If you can find a shadow key in the dungeon, hang onto it. You'll be able to open some shadow chests that are only found in Hell, they contain powerful weapons like Sunfury, a flail that will last you FAR into HARDMODE.
Also, make sure you have another 20 obsidian, so that way you can make an obsidian skull and combine it with your cobalt shield at a tinkerer's workshop.
Oh yeah, even further, keep an eye out for demons that seem to be carrying dolls while in Hell.
You'll want to kill them and get the doll, but be sure you catch it before it can fall into lava.
Else you'll be fighting a horror that is known as the strongest pre-hardmode boss in the game...

Augh, there's SO MUCH IN THIS GAME!!! It's hard to inform you of all the things you'll need to be aware of when there's so much to it!
Meh, I'll tell you whatever you want to know, all you need to do is ask.

For what I read you are in late pre-hardmode I image you know about handmade (basically it creates new ores, armors, weapons, bosses, enemies, all much cooler than the other but also more dangerous as the name suggests. But another key element in progression will be plantera)

I can only recommend you that if you where to found a Nazar in the dungeon keep it, as it's a rare element for a high tier item in hardmode.
And as other have explained avoid tossing a voodoo doll into lava until you are ready (molten armor, mostly for its defense and you are quite new, so you may face a lot of damage, the weapon you prefer, something to avoid falling in lava (a bridge, water walking potions/boots, etc) and anything you think could protect you) (trying to be the spoilerless posible) and when ready, toss the doll in the lava and prepare to face something you haven't experience before, it's big, mean and have a big ugly mouth.

You will be rewarded and with the hammer it drops you can finally pwn down those demon/crimson altars

Since the others have been so kind to explain to you pretty much everything you need to know regarding pre-hardmode, I shall inform you of how to reach Hardmode (HM) and what awaits once it's activated.
Small note: it's smart to get yourself a Magic Mirror before you enter HM: you WILL need it.

I do not know if you are aware of how to make a bed, but you can craft them to set your spawnpoint at a different point than the default. Combine this with the fact that you may want to make a new base before activating HM. The easiest you can make is a house that hovers in the air. This will protect you and your NPCs from the Wraiths that spawns during HM Blood Moons.
In order to activate HM you need to defeat the Wall of Flesh (WoF). This can be done in many different ways, but most of the strategies relies on making a long walkway in the underworld, preferably around a 1000 blocks long (if you are a beginner), but making it longer never hurts. Don't forget that you can easily make stairs with blocks by placing them diagonally, so it doesn't have to be a 100% straight line.
Now, for the fight itself I'd recommend the use of Molten Armor if you are new, regardless of what fighting style you are using. For your choice of weapon I'd say that you can either go ranged and get yourself a Molten Fury, aka the Hellstone Bow combined with Jester or Unholy Arrows. If you prefer bullet-based combat you should get a Phoenix Blaster (Hellstone + Handgun, which can be found in the Dungeon) or you could use the Minishark you already own. The Minishark is good, however it lacks in raw damage, and even though it got autofire the Phoenix Blaster outclasses it if you click your mouse fast enough, not to mention that it is superior to the Minishark in HM. For your choice of bullets, go for Meteorite Shots or Silver Bullets. They do equal amounts of damage, but the Meteor Shots ricochets of a surface that it hits one time. Then you run along your bridge to it's end and throw a Guide Vodoo Doll into the lava which will spawn the WoF. NOTE: This only works if the Guide is alive. Run along your bridge and shoot him on his eyes or his mouth. Also, take care of The Hungry (the little things stuck to him) first, since they grow stronger the more HP that is depleted from the WoF. Speaking of which, it has 8000hp. But he is still not that strong. Lastly, try to focus your fire on the eyes, since they have 0 defense while the mouth has 12.
Once you've killed the beast, go ahead and pick up it's drops from the demonite box that spawns when he dies. Among the drops should be an item called the Pwnhammer, and this item will be your best friend for most of HM. The Pwnhammer has the ability to destroy Demon/Crismon Altars (but only if the WoF has been defeated). When an Altar have been destroyed a HM ore will spawn; first time it will spawn Cobalt/Palladium ore, second it will spawn Mythril/Orichalcum ore, and the third time Adamantite/Titanium ore. Then the cycle repeats. Note that you cannot get Cobalt when you destroy your first altar and Palladium when you destroy your fourth: there will be only one of them no matter what.
A good way to get a lot of ore is to go to (in your case) the Corruption and to start smash all altars you can find. Be aware that each time you destroy a Demon Altar a couple of Wraiths (HM enemies) will spawn of-screen, approaching you. They can pass through solid walls, so the 2 strategies you could try are the following:
1. Run along all of the bottom of the Corruption and smash all the altars along the way and then teleport out of there before the Wraiths catches up to you.
2. Smash them one at a time, and then deal with the Wraiths before you proceed with the next altar.
For my final tip, I'll inform you that the order of the ores mentioned also happens to be the tiers that they represent; you'll need a pickaxe/drill out of Cobalt/Palladium to mine Mythril/Orichalcum ore, etc. To melt these ores you need a Hellforge, which can be aquired easily in a Hellhouse. To make things out of Mythril or higher you need to use your first bars to create a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. To melt Adamantite/Titanium you need to combine 30 Adamantite/Titanium ores with a Hellforge (you can use the one you already have) into a Adamantite/Titanium Forge at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. Once you have aquired a full set of Adamantite/Titanium Ranger Armor, the next thing to do would be to challenge a HM boss, the easiest one being The Destroyer. I'd suggest you make a arena out of platforms with many layers to give you greater air mobility, since he is basically a tougher version of the Eater of Worlds.

There. I could give you some more tips on how to defeat the Mechanical Bosses, but you can easily look up strategies on google or the wiki. Speaking of the wiki, here's the link to it if there's something you need to look up: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Terraria_Wiki

Happy playing! ;)

Concerning the cursor, it really depends what colors you can see. Magenta cursors can generally be seen everywhere, as well as bright red cursors.
Teal should work too.
Note that you can change your cursor color at any moment during the game, so if you like lime cursors for example and then decide to go into the jungle you can switch to any other color that doesn't blend in like lime does in the jungle biome.
I can't really know what cursor color I should recommend since I don't know which colors don't stand out in your vision.

Also try to get 15 diamonds to get the best hook in game pre-hardmode (others prefer Ivy whip, a hook crafted from jungle materials which can have 3 hooks out simultaneously, but it restricts mobility a lot). It's reach is long and the hook travels fast.

@OneOnlyDan forgot to mention you can also use grenades for the wall of flesh, those little buggers are really powerfull if you avoid using them within melee range.

That's pretty much it.

Just want to thank each and every one of you for all your advice and instructions. Youll be pleased to know that Ive made it wellll into hard mode. Currently rocking it with my bullet rang build. After many hours of gathering and building and with some assistance from a new friend Ive opened my own tshock server with a newly created large world that we are in the process of recreating a new base of operations. Loving my megashark, Rainbow cannon and true Excalibur...
(I will be gathering the pre hard items that i missed the first few times around.... in order to make an ankh shield and also the other half of the terra blade.)

Also, get to expierence the crimson for the first time, and enjoying the change... Also managed to kill many of the hard mode bosses like destroyer, twins, golem, the queen Bee, skeletron and plantera. Still need to kill slime and fishron but all in all, i think ive got more then a fundamental of the game.... Just need to fine tune some aspects and get a beter idea what gear works best. Took FOREVER to make myself a set of shroomite but its really paying off.

Again, Much thanks to everyone for all the help and patience. And if any of you would like to come say hello in person It would be a pleasure to have you visit me any time on my server. PM me for the ip and password and to join me on hamachi.

Best Regards!

Just want to thank each and every one of you for all your advice and instructions. Youll be pleased to know that Ive made it wellll into hard mode. Currently rocking it with my bullet rang build. After many hours of gathering and building and with some assistance from a new friend Ive opened my own tshock server with a newly created large world that we are in the process of recreating a new base of operations. Loving my megashark, Rainbow cannon and true Excalibur...
(I will be gathering the pre hard items that i missed the first few times around.... in order to make an ankh shield and also the other half of the terra blade.)

Also, get to expierence the crimson for the first time, and enjoying the change... Also managed to kill many of the hard mode bosses like destroyer, twins, golem, the queen Bee, skeletron and plantera. Still need to kill slime and fishron but all in all, i think ive got more then a fundamental of the game.... Just need to fine tune some aspects and get a beter idea what gear works best. Took FOREVER to make myself a set of shroomite but its really paying off.

Again, Much thanks to everyone for all the help and patience. And if any of you would like to come say hello in person It would be a pleasure to have you visit me any time on my server. PM me for the ip and password and to join me on hamachi.

Best Regards!
WOW, YOU ALREADY GOT TRUE EXCALIBUR? You learn pretty fast I see, since it can only be achieved beating a solar eclipse :p

Wow, you're doing insanely well.
So, wow, You've done it. You've reached "Endgame". There's still a lot you can do here.
The Pumpkin Moon, the Frost Moon, building...it shouldn't be long before you get all the good stuff like the Emblems and whatnot.
But, there's a bit of a pause after all this. The pause that will be ended with 1.3.

Back
Top Bottom