Old Pc on new update.

What is your favorite part of the update?

• Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Folliage

• Replacing-block (and chest) without breaking them

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • New music (and background)

• Cactus toilet

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

TheCheeseBroker

Terrarian
I had a look at several of the 1.3.6 Spoiler, and wonder how would an old Pc stand against the 1.3.6 update?
How much performance would the update cost?

I am aware that would most likely be an option to turn them off.
Any thought?

It'd just depend on how old we are talking about. More specifically, the specs of the computer. RAM? Processing power? Graphics card?

Considering if computer was really old, it wouldn't stand up adequately to Terraria anyway. The game can be intensive on RAM depending on world size and current game activity. Though I'm not exactly proficient on computer standards myself, so it'd be better to ask an actual professional. I'm sure that Re-Logic would update spec requirements acordingly, and there would be options to turn off the dynamic movement presented upon us to aid older or less powerful PCs.

Just for comparison:
My laptop is an HP Pavilion Power 15. It's not a weak laptop by any means, it has a GTX 1050, i5-7300HQ and 8 gigs of RAM.
But when it's on battery and I turn on the extra battery saving, Terraria (1.3.5) runs horribly (30-40 FPS). With that setting, the CPU goes down to 1.1 GHz and it only uses the IGP, which is an Intel HD 630.
So, if your old pc is near the same level, it won't run well.

Last edited:
For my "old" computer, ima use my laptop and the info that i know how to find.

Acer, Intel pentium (this logo
upload_2018-10-21_10-51-15.jpeg
)

SD IIIIIIIM (have no clue what that means)

and thats all i could find since i didn't buy the laptop, and technicly it's still my mom's, but she never uses it and lets me do stuff on it but it's basicly mine.

Let me shed some light on this situation.

Terraria really isn't that GPU intensive. You can have an incredibly old one and still be just fine. I can't imagine the new update upping the requirement from the previous version on this aspect.

Terraria is a 32 bit application which means it's impossible for it to even use more than 4GB of RAM. My rule of thumb is 2+Reccommended requirements of the most intensive game you plan to play. 6GB would give you plenty for the game and some for your background services and OS. However, again, this aspect isn't going raise the requirements from the previous version.

What comes into play for Terraria requirements the most is your CPU. If you could run the previous update I wouldn't be too worried about this update, but it is possible that the game requires a bit more processing power than before.

TL,DR: Don't worry about it too much, if you ran the previous update just fine then you're good to go for the next update.

1st: My computer sucks, it can barely run Minecraft with Optifine.
2nd: it runs Terraria at 30 FPS 60 FPS if retro graphics or background off
3rd: With a bad computer your most likely fine

Back
Top Bottom