On “overhauled graphics” and the future of terraria

Tunafish12

Official Terrarian
there has been a lot of talk I’ve heard about any potential terraria sequel having overhauled graphics. Now, obviously nothing is set in stone about terraria 2, or even if there will be a terraria 2, but if there is, am I the only one who doesn’t want overhauled and radically changed graphics? Terraria is a beautiful game as it is, and part of it’s accessibility in modding is how simple the graphics are, well still looking fantastic. The farthest from the terraria art style I’m willing to go and still have a fun time in terraria is calamity mods art style, but even that is the subject of a lot of debate. I can’t be the only person who feels this way, right?

I never really followed otherworld, it was canceled only like a year after I started playing. The art style is pretty good, but it just doesn’t have the same sort appeal as classic terraria for me, I’m not sure why. Maybe it had a higher resolution or something, but it seemed more like starbound (a game im not particularly fond of) then terraria

The music was so cool, i'm glad they added an option to listen to ingame with the party girl. I kind of liked the idea of the player fighting back to the corruption.

Personally, my perfect terraria 2 would have an upgraded framework, potential for larger worlds, more of a storyline, but not really a linear one. The gameplay would be similar, where there is a recommended progression, but only a few bosses are required, and the game is set into large statues separated by major bosses (more then just pre hm and hm, but still each one has a lot of content and isn’t just one or two bosses) as well as the included mod support.

Terraria's artstyle has through the updates gone through several style changes as well. I'll probably be fine with it.

Empress of Light and Queen Slime are some of the coolest and most colorful bosses. When you compare it to something like Skeletron, it's clear that art in Terraria has gone a long way.

I wasn’t really talking about colors, I was more talking about high resolution smoothed stuff, like the sharks from that ocean screenshot of otherworld

Just because art is different doesn't mean it is bad. I liked otherworld's art style more than normal terraria actually. It looked kind of like a mix of hollow knight and terraria.

Well no, just because it’s different doesn’t mean It’s bad (for example, the new projectiles for the magic missile and flamelash are awesome), I don’t really like the blending and high resolution of otherworld, it looked really smoothed out. And it does look like hollow knight a bit, but I don’t actually like the art style from hollow knight. Otherworld looked fun, but the graphics were just a bit off putting. I’d still enjoy a new terraria with those kind of graphics, but I’d just prefer the current style (with more use of the kind of particles used in the flamelash, that I could look at all day)

Otherworld had a different artstyle, yeah. I think both that, and vanilla Terraria's artstyle is fine, they're just separate games (or would been, if Otherworld wouldn't been cancelled)

But what I think is, that if there would be a "Terraria 2" it doesn't means you have to stop playing Terraria "1" either. And even if the developers would work on that more in the future, the modder community for Terraria is very active, and it ensures that the game will stay fresh and interesting for a very long time, since you can always look for more mods and mod combinations. What's more, you can make your own mods too! So, I don't think there would be any real reason to worry about Terraria (1).

If there will be Terraria 2, we could just enjoy both, isn't it?

The "same artstyle as terraria, but has new stuff" is practically modded terraria, not "terraria 2", I think.
Vanilla is fun. Modded is fun. And probably a spinoff, or a sequel would be as fun too.

Frankly, I'm fine with Terraria's graphics. It's functional and doesn't get in the way - rather than some super fancy graphics that makes it difficult to see the block boundaries.

If they ever make a Terraria 2, what they need to add are more game mechanics and better quality of life features. More "gadgets" to wire up. A more "alive" interconnected world where even more things interact with each other in even more sophisticated ways. Things they simply can't do this the current aging 9 year old engine. A blueprint system with "drones" that help build your blueprints. A some kind of searchable centralized logistic system for managing inventory.

I’ve been thinking, maybe terraria 2 will utilize subworlds? Yes there are mods that are planning to have them, but they are so different from vannila that I think they would make a good new main feature in a sequel

And I want to see more biome alts, like a hallow alt (hallow seems like it would most likely be featured in a sequel)

I’ve been thinking, maybe terraria 2 will utilize subworlds? Yes there are mods that are planning to have them, but they are so different from vannila that I think they would make a good new main feature in a sequel
Subworld library is a thing, so if a mod is planning to implement them they are already in a version of that, it most likely already has a subworld in one of their versions

Back
Top Bottom